Construction Contest - Build a Base

I am looking for two bases to replace the current ones I have in Meltdown 2.

These bases can be built out of basic parts (beams, floors, forcefields... general statics, nothing complex). All objects count towards the specified piece limits.

Base 1: Remote Outpost - Small, self-contained base on the ground. Comes with Generator and 1 Inventory Station. 15 Piece maximum.

Base 2: Remote Base - Large base, floating in the air. 1 Generator, 3 Inventory stations, 1 sensor array, 1 vehicle pad. 30 Piece maximum.

Winners will receive their name in credits in the Meltdown 2 Wiki under "Code Contributors".

Comments

• War03 > Meltdown 2
  • I don't really know what you want different from the old ones, and I'm not really sure if I could improve them so I dunno..
  • War03 > Meltdown 2
    The War mod is a copy of Meltdown 2, and Meltdown 2 is perfected and is still being updated. Unbelievable as I check out War2009. There's the obvious copies such as: Mitzi Blast Cannon, PBW, Ripper Disk, and Mech Rocket Launcher. Anything you consider good in War2009 is probably a poor copy of something great in Meltdown 2.

There also seems like a weird push for more weapons: PBW, Multi PBW, Gattling PBW Mechanized, PBW Cannon Pack (which is two oversized Mortars on your shoulders that shoot little lasers), PBW Landspike Turret, PBW Spike Turret, PBW Turret Barrel, and PBW Satellite. Even Defenders RunGun (a quadruple chaingun weapon) has a PBW mode, that must be a flexible ammo round. That's nine weapons with PBW ability. Every weapon seems to have an EMP mode too, even sniper weapons. What's this all about?

War 2009 weapons with an EMP mode:
    Mitzi Blast Cannon
    Grenade Launcher
    Mortar Gun
    Mech Rocket Gun
    Railgun
    Laser Rifle
    Grenade
    EMP Satchel Charge
    EMP Blast Turret
    Arbitor EMP Device

Meltdown 2 has four weapon modes with EMP ability. It seems War2009 tries to hard to be flexible.

Here's some funny weapons I saw from War2009: The funniest so far is Mitzi's Annihilator, Mega Annihilator, and then Super Mega Annihilator. Then there's the Run!! Cannon which makes War2009 seem childish. Along with the Annihilator, the Spinfusor has similar modes: Power Disc and then Super Power Disc.

Let me give an example of how Meltdown 2 functions better. A Juggernaut in War2009 can carry a nuke, but it takes forever to fire it because it has to charge. This then provides a blast that's just a little bigger than a Mortar explosion. Compare this to Meltdown 2 where you have to deploy a MANTA Satellite, load a MANTA Ion Nuke into a Nightshade (bomber), get a pilot and a gunner, and then go fly over the enemy base to make a target. This then sends a shot from the sky followed by a very large destructive explosion.

The weapons in Meltdown 2 are perfected, rather than spammed. They all work very well and it makes the game fun. There's no question, the scripting done to create Meltdown 2 are much more advanced. Since there's nobody ever playing War2009 and Meltdown 2 is the most played mod in Tribes 2, have yourself and friends come play Meltdown 2. We always like new people.
  • I always thought the Construction mod was the most played.
  • I always thought the Construction mod was the most played.

it seems that goons is the most popular. but thats how I take it. Haven't checked all of the servers. :rolleyes:
  • Contest?
  • Construction and Meltdown 2 are my favorite mods by far, and both are equally amazing in my view. My saying that Meltdown 2 is the most played mod could be wrong, but it probably had a lot more active players in the past and now. The only thing is, there seems to always be people in Construction, but there's more servers. Nonetheless, for the sake of argument, nobody is ever in the War2009 servers and Meltdown 2 is still very active, and fun.

I'll be working on the requested base designs when I have a chance.
  • I tried a few designs for a flying base (I'll make a matching land base once I find a good flying base design). The first design (First 4 images) used 42 pieces, but it looked nice. The second design (Next 3 images) didn't look as nice, but it used 25ish pieces.

I still have a few designs in mind, but I can't build them right now. I'll build/upload them later.
    • Flying_1_1.png
    • Flying_1_2.png
    • Flying_1_3.png
    • Flying_1_4.png
    • Flying_2_1.png
    • Flying_2_2.png
    • Flying_2_3.png
  • I really like that first one, nice stuff.
  • They both look very nice. I want to see if it's possible to keep as close to the piece limitations as possible (due to T2's object limit), but if it's off bit a bit and fits the bill, then I can go for that too.
  • The War mod is a copy of Meltdown 2, and Meltdown 2 is perfected and is still being updated. Unbelievable as I check out War2009. There's the obvious copies such as: Mitzi Blast Cannon, PBW, Ripper Disk, and Mech Rocket Launcher. Anything you consider good in War2009 is probably a poor copy of something great in Meltdown 2.

There also seems like a weird push for more weapons: PBW, Multi PBW, Gattling PBW Mechanized, PBW Cannon Pack (which is two oversized Mortars on your shoulders that shoot little lasers), PBW Landspike Turret, PBW Spike Turret, PBW Turret Barrel, and PBW Satellite. Even Defenders RunGun (a quadruple chaingun weapon) has a PBW mode, that must be a flexible ammo round. That's nine weapons with PBW ability. Every weapon seems to have an EMP mode too, even sniper weapons. What's this all about?

War 2009 weapons with an EMP mode:
    Mitzi Blast Cannon
    Grenade Launcher
    Mortar Gun
    Mech Rocket Gun
    Railgun
    Laser Rifle
    Grenade
    EMP Satchel Charge
    EMP Blast Turret
    Arbitor EMP Device

Meltdown 2 has four weapon modes with EMP ability. It seems War2009 tries to hard to be flexible.

Here's some funny weapons I saw from War2009: The funniest so far is Mitzi's Annihilator, Mega Annihilator, and then Super Mega Annihilator. Then there's the Run!! Cannon which makes War2009 seem childish. Along with the Annihilator, the Spinfusor has similar modes: Power Disc and then Super Power Disc.

Let me give an example of how Meltdown 2 functions better. A Juggernaut in War2009 can carry a nuke, but it takes forever to fire it because it has to charge. This then provides a blast that's just a little bigger than a Mortar explosion. Compare this to Meltdown 2 where you have to deploy a MANTA Satellite, load a MANTA Ion Nuke into a Nightshade (bomber), get a pilot and a gunner, and then go fly over the enemy base to make a target. This then sends a shot from the sky followed by a very large destructive explosion.

The weapons in Meltdown 2 are perfected, rather than spammed. They all work very well and it makes the game fun. There's no question, the scripting done to create Meltdown 2 are much more advanced. Since there's nobody ever playing War2009 and Meltdown 2 is the most played mod in Tribes 2, have yourself and friends come play Meltdown 2. We always like new people.
    I still prefer War.
    Its more of a challenge. ;)
  • it seems that goons is the most popular. but thats how I take it. Haven't checked all of the servers. :rolleyes:

1 Word Explains this: Flatland.

Most new players do not know how to install client side maps, and thus they stick to the server they know most about.

However, when RC4 -RC5 Rolls along, that can change with in-game map downloaders.
  • Here's my Remote Base. I can make it more accessible with Force Fields if you'd like. Any other small modifications can be done as well. It's 29 pieces.

I've added a Remote Outpost as well. It's 15 pieces. Having the Remote Outpost slightly elevated prevents too much interruption from hillsides coming into the base and covering inventory stations. Ramps are provided for this elevation change and extend a little farther in attempt to reach the ground from hillside deployment (there you go, Daishis). I might have the ramps steeper in the final version because there's some hills where some just won't meet the ground because of equal or higher slope.

Ceiling, floor, and roofing textures can be changed, along with basically anything else if desired.

Edit: I've added a better inside view of the first Remote Base I made. Also, I've made simpler versions of both designs from comments pertaining to the bases not fitting the Meltdown environment.
    • RemoteBase1.jpg
    • RemoteBase2.jpg
    • RemoteBase3.jpg
    • RemoteBase4.jpg
    • RemoteBase5.jpg
    • RemoteOutpost1.jpg
    • RemoteOutpost2.jpg
    • RemoteOutpost3.jpg
    • RemoteOutpost4.jpg
    • RemoteBase6.png
    • SimpleBase1.png
    • SimpleBase2.png
    • SimpleBase3.png
    • SimpleOutpost1.png
    • SimpleOutpost2.png
  • This is where I'm gonna post new designs for each. Right now I just have a new design for the Remote Outpost, with variations, for consideration. If I come up with an idea for a Remote Base, I'll make it, but so far I like my first design. This one is also friendly with hillsides. The main part of the base is elevated and there is a step to get up to it. The corner poles reach far into the ground to create a realistic support during deployment.

If anyone wants a preview of how any of these designs will look with different textures or small modifications, lemme know and I will post them after applying.
    • RemoteOutpostAgain1.png
    • RemoteOutpostAgain2.png
  • Wow,nice
  • The designs do look nice. I'll wait a bit longer before, but if there are no more competing designs, I may just go for one of each of yours.
  • I've been really busy the past few days, but I'll still try to make a few designs
  • Looks like it'll be just between you two. So, your names will go in the Meltdown 2 credits.

Remote Base:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3586

Remote Outpost:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3613

If at all possible, I would like these saved relative to the center (0 0 0), however if you don't know how or can't, I'll load these in construction myself, so the savefile will be sufficient either way.
  • These will both be saved using ECM's save format/datablocks.. will that matter?
  • I'm sure Keen is smart enough to make sense of my construction save format.
  • Yeah, ECM format is fine. Would save me some time since both constructions are in the same format too.
  • To let others know, or at least Naosyth, I made my Remote Outpost look more similar to your Remote Base to make it fitting. This will be the design for the Remote Outpost. Notice how far down the poles go in the second picture. This makes it look as if a Remote Outpost has better support when deployed on sloped terrain... also known as a hill, for lower IQs.
    • Other.jpg
    • Underground.jpg
  • bier you are sexy AND smart
  • This makes it look as if a Remote Outpost has better support when deployed on sloped terrain... also known as a hill, for lower IQs.
    That is pure gold. :p
  • ...Keen...can I make you a logo for the wiki page? You can dictate all the elements to it and suggest changes here and there, but I just REALLY like making logos...

Or, if you already have an idea, then I shall back out ._.
  • Sure. Graphics aren't exactly my strong point, so I wouldn't mind if someone else took a stab at it.
  • Ok, then:
    What resolution is it?
    What main colors do you want?
    Is there a theme I should adhere to?
    Do you want it mainly textual or visual?
    Should it be simple and clean or complex and abstract?
    +anything else you deem necessary to tell me!
  • 135 x 135, red and white (to match the background) or blue and white, Textual or Visual meaning do I want it to actually say "Radiant Age" or some kind of artwork or symbolic representation of it?

I'd say keep it simple as it's a small logo, and as for anything else, I appreciate the offer! :o
  • b7e8wl.jpg

This is my attempt >_<

Tell me if you want anything changed, or if I should scrap it and start anew (it was simple, so I really don't mind!).

Edit: The 2nd attempt after some keen consultation. (hardy har har)
    2zow7dj.jpg
    Once again, suggest any changes you want...removing the ring is fairly easy, if you want.