Go Back   The Construct Forums > General Discussion
User Name
Password

1 - 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM quote
Krash
Neptune Sleeps

Default [*] TribesNext Beta Release

That's it, we've finally released the first beta of the patch, check it out over at:

http://www.tribesnext.com/info

This version is pretty stable, but there have been a few issues. If you run into any problems, please, please let us know so we can fix them. I'll edit this thread with some more jib-jab later. Feel free to move your discussion of it over to this thread.

Note: You cannot use the SI executable, make sure your shortcut points to Tribes2.exe.
There will be instructions on how to get SI to function soon, but for now you'll have to play without it.

Current Known Issues (as of the 2009/01/02 beta release):
  • There appear to be some transient issues with 1024-bit RSA keys in the generator. We STRONGLY recommend using either a 512-bit or 768-bit key when generating your account.
  • In the event your Tribes 2 game crashes or closes unexpectedly, the code that terminates the connected Ruby interpreter may not run. If this happens, you will see a process entry with 'rubyintersect.dll' as the image name. These can be safely terminated if they are not connected to the game.
  • This patch and associated scripts do not function in recently tested versions of Wine. We are working on some sort of solution for Linux users, but unfortunately you're out of luck for now.
  • Non-dedicated Tribes 2 servers are not currently supported. Dedicated servers make up the majority of the hosts, but we will try to fix this as soon as possible.
  • Defense Turret is not supported when running this patch. We made significant changes to the executable to accommodate the inclusion of a Ruby interpreter.

Shoutout to our first group of testers (if I've left you out let me know):
Sloik
OniLink
Phantom139
Eolk
Naosyth
Octopussy

Last edited by Krash : 01-03-2009 at 04:15 PM.

2 - 01-03-2009, 12:42 AM quote
EmperorsChamp
Alviss - All-wise

1st post in the new age of "Next", let this ring through history and be read in textbooks for years to come, that EmperorsChamp was first.

"Carry my will as a torch. With it, destroy the shadows."

3 - 01-03-2009, 12:45 AM quote
Deflun
Mr.
Divine Order of the Hammer

Holy SHIT.. Nice!

Will test tomorrow, congratulations y'all working on this, I'm really glad to be part of a community with such dedicated members, willing to give everyone their time and dedication in exchange for nothing, but the joy of helping a great game stay in track.

Dunno how many times this has happened before, but T2 has got to be the only game I've ever heard about whose users have been so stubborn they didn't only endure aging (as in.. the game.. not us), but together we managed to keep the game alive despite the fact it was cancelled by the very makers.

Thyth, Krash, and whoever else worked on this.

I must say, I'm really proud.

oh yeah, btw..

FIRST!

Edit : FUCK YOU ALVISS YOU STOLE MY PLACE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Come to the city instead!, you'll see animals the size of dogs and cats the size of dogs!

Learn how The Construct is actually Freemasonry!

4 - 01-03-2009, 02:55 AM quote
UltraCon
Server Admínistrator

Location: ....Ummm, what? When: ........When what? What: -Wut do u mean Wut!? Why: ....Seriously? -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash
That's it, we've finally released the first beta of the patch, check it out over at:

http://www.tribesnext.com/info

This version is pretty stable, but there have been a few issues. If you run into any problems, please, please let us know so we can fix them. I'll edit this thread with some more jib-jab later. Feel free to move your discussion of it over to this thread.

Current Known Issues (as of the 2009/01/02 beta release):
  • There appear to be some transient issues with 1024-bit RSA keys in the generator. We STRONGLY recommend using either a 512-bit or 768-bit key when generating your account.
  • In the event your Tribes 2 game crashes or closes unexpectedly, the code that terminates the connected Ruby interpreter may not run. If this happens, you will see a process entry with 'rubyintersect.dll' as the image name. These can be safely terminated if they are not connected to the game.
  • This patch and associated scripts do not function in recently tested versions of Wine. We are working on some sort of solution for Linux users, but unfortunately you're out of luck for now.
  • Non-dedicated Tribes 2 servers are not currently supported. Dedicated servers make up the majority of the hosts, but we will try to fix this as soon as possible.

Shoutout to our first group of testers (if I've left you out let me know):
Sloik
OniLink
Phantom139
Eolk
Naosyth
Octopussy

Lol, it took exactly 2 months for the patch to be completed and released. (depending on timezone)

November 3rd 2008 - January 2nd & 3rd 2009

Thank You!

5 - 01-03-2009, 03:40 AM quote
ninN
Mapper

hooray! took a while D:

Signed: Mr. niniN

6 - 01-03-2009, 03:49 AM quote
Mentulmhat
Ment

This afternoon I started up T2, clicked on TX for some construction however was plesantly surprised to find out that the beta patch is out.
I proceed to install the patch and restart T2, tried to create a new account (Server was in Online status) generated a 512-key, but got "The server detected a problem in your request and could not create an account" (and yes I triple checked the password and password confirmation).
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Last edited by Mentulmhat : 01-03-2009 at 06:54 AM.

7 - 01-03-2009, 03:54 AM quote
Krash
Neptune Sleeps

Did you try reopening the game and generating a new key? There is an off chance that it will produce a bad one once in a while.

8 - 01-03-2009, 04:37 AM quote
Mentulmhat
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash
Did you try reopening the game and generating a new key? There is an off chance that it will produce a bad one once in a while.

Yup tried it multiple times but to no avail. Is a fresh install required? No hence the patch...

Problem solved and spawned another, I succesfully created an account by using the Construction(Online) shortcut instead of the SI(Online) shortcut. The next problem I encountered after trying to join a server, after getting the regular connecting to server message it returns me instantly back to the serverlist. (that goes for any "construction" server I try)

I think it may be similar what's described here:
Quote:
In the event your Tribes 2 game crashes or closes unexpectedly, the code that terminates the connected Ruby interpreter may not run. If this happens, you will see a process entry with 'rubyintersect.dll' as the image name. These can be safely terminated if they are not connected to the game.

source: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0

Last edited by Mentulmhat : 01-03-2009 at 07:10 AM.

9 - 01-03-2009, 07:00 AM quote
Kryand
Nuggget

Hmm maybe I should have read this thread before choosing 1024.

So far I have:
- Successfully joined TX and run around for a while.
- Successfully joined a non-TribesNext server.
- Successfully quit Tribes 2.
- Tried to log back in, but was told my password is incorrect several times. No, caps lock is not on.
- Used the "retrieve account" feature. It told me that my account isn't stored locally. I guess the explain that last one.
- It told me that account credentials were downloaded successfully, but didn't log in.
- Still unable to log in using either method.

- Created another account (PuppyWear) using 768.
- Done all of the above.
- Successfully logged back in.

So next time I'll remember to read the known issues first.

http://www.themellin.com - http://www.chaingunned.org
Former Scripter, Skinner, Modder, Mapper and Tribes 2 All-Star.

Last edited by Kryand : 01-03-2009 at 07:48 AM.

10 - 01-03-2009, 08:08 AM quote
Numbuh 178

I figured out that it likes to be run in base Tribes 2 while making an account. I made my account just fine. I suggest running it in base while making the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalagyrt
people suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deflun (to SnowFire789)
Hey look its Captain Irunatzombiesandlivewhileyoualldie

11 - 01-03-2009, 08:21 AM quote
Tarzul
Nugget

Just tried it out, everything works fine, but it doesn't work with DT for me. Shortly after I log in with DT, it gives me a message saying my Tribes.exe has been modified, and to fix the problem, then it boots me out.

edit: now DT gives me the same problem even when I use the alternate master server list in LAN without the Tribes Next startup

12 - 01-03-2009, 08:25 AM quote
Deflun
Mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzul
Just tried it out, everything works fine, but it doesn't work with DT for me. Shortly after I log in with DT, it gives me a message saying my Tribes.exe has been modified, and to fix the problem, then it boots me out.

edit: now DT gives me the same problem even when I use the alternate master server list in LAN without the Tribes Next startup

What's DT?

The only idea I have is not to use it, heh, because the T2 Exe has been modified and there is no way you can play this without modifying it.

Come to the city instead!, you'll see animals the size of dogs and cats the size of dogs!

Learn how The Construct is actually Freemasonry!

13 - 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM quote
Numbuh 178

I think hes talking about Defense Turret, its an anti cheat thingy, and it must not like TribesNext modifying the Tribes2.exe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalagyrt
people suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deflun (to SnowFire789)
Hey look its Captain Irunatzombiesandlivewhileyoualldie

14 - 01-03-2009, 08:48 AM quote
Kryand
Nuggget

Yeah Thyth already said DT will no longer work. Any patched install can't use DT, online or offline. In light of this, I will disable DT on Slap Happy.

http://www.themellin.com - http://www.chaingunned.org
Former Scripter, Skinner, Modder, Mapper and Tribes 2 All-Star.

15 - 01-03-2009, 10:10 AM quote
Blnukem
Pimp

NNNOOOO!!!!!!
Damn Tribes Next logo covers the ACCM one.

And I can't use my voice chat on ANY server.
Also, every action I perform in-game seems delayed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NOOOOEEES!!!.PNG
Views: 2615
Size:  124.5 KB  

Last edited by Blnukem : 01-03-2009 at 10:14 AM.