Resurrecting QX's Warpgate

Because teleport pads completely suck for teleporting vehicles.

Unfortunately, the warpgate.cs script causes UE's, and I can't figure out why. Doing exec("scripts/Quantum/warpgate.cs") in the console works fine, so there's no syntax errors or anything. I've had to edit a lot of scripts to get it fully working (and to add in gate/destination frequency cycling), but I've tracked the problem down to this script. Any help is appreciated.

Update - Commenting out the WarpDeployable and WarpDeployableImage datablocks stops the UE's, but I don't see anything wrong with them to fix...?

Update 2 - Commenting out any 2 datablocks seems to stop the UE's... strange.

Update 3 - Seems it wasn't a problem with the script at all. I hit a global datablock limit.

Update 4 - Well, the warpgate was a disappointment. I was expecting something more like the black hole, except it would teleport you to another gate instead of to -9999. Vehicles often get messed up when going through warpgates, too.

Comments

• Yeah, quantium did tend to use up a ton of datablocks.

I must say though, that the formatting is atrocious, and I can't say it looks particularly efficient... ;o
  • Yeah, quantium did tend to use up a ton of datablocks.

I must say though, that the formatting is atrocious, and I can't say it looks particularly efficient... ;o
    I tried cleaning up the formatting a little bit, but Tribal IDE acts kinda odd with indents. Trust me, that's far from the worst formatting I've seen in Construction/Quantium scripts. :/ One game I used to script for had a script editor with an auto-format feature. I wish there was something like that for TorqueScript.
    And yeah, how it constantly schedules function calls looks nasty, but most of us aren't still using computers from 2001, so I guess you don't need to be as efficient as possible. Still very nasty, though. I guess Dynamix's tendency to use bad scripting techniques passes on to their games' modders. :P
  • why is scheduling function calls ugly?

and i think i made a warpgate before