Torque game engine help!

im trying to make a game in the torque game engine, and i have a few questions:
how do i change projectile speed?
how do i make/edit .dts files? do i have to buy a program?
dose anyone know where i can get any good Code or art resources?

Comments

• how do i change projectile speed?
    Projectile speed is changed on the projectile datablock (look in the .cs files!).
    It likely has a "maxVelocity" (or something similar) attribute to mangle.
    I believe blender has a DTS exporter, or there is Constructor, GG's own product.
    If those fail, there are likely exporters for 3DS Max, Milkshape, and others.
    does anyone know where i can get any good Code or art resources?
    GarageGames has plenty of resources available on their website (under the Community dropdown).
  • im trying to make a game in the torque game engine, and i have a few questions:
    how do i change projectile speed?
    dose anyone know where i can get any good Code or art resources?

I'd like to help. :D
  • i made a building with the torque constructor and saved it as .DIF
    its on the mission editor but when i try to place it nothing shows up :(
    halp
  • oh, i solved that problem :D
  • What is your game called? what type of game is it? did you make a high DB Limit?
  • What is your game called? what type of game is it? did you make a high DB Limit?

The datablock limit isn't determined by a variable in the engine, Phantom. I don't think it's easy to increase the datablock limit at all..
  • need more help, i'm using the torque constructor to make interiors and for some reason parts of my shape don't have collision :( why?
  • The datablock limit
    ZOMG! there's a datablock limit!?
  • The datablock limit isn't determined by a variable in the engine, Phantom. I don't think it's easy to increase the datablock limit at all..

From I conversation I remember having with elec or linker a long time ago, it is as simple as changing a var.
  • From I conversation I remember having with elec or linker a long time ago, it is as simple as changing a var.

It is? :confused:
  • Can someone answer my question? :(
  • ZOMG! there's a datablock limit!?
    Yes, there is.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your interior though.
  • Yah, theres a limit on every game object.

Read the GarageGames.com engine documentation.

It has a list of all the GameObjects and Classes and how to do just about anything.

Also, go to the forums, theres tons of tutorials and a large active community that is more than willing to help you.
  • lol,
    THREAD REVIVAL TIME!

I kind of gave up on making my game, but a couple of weeks ago i decided to start again 'cos I've teamed up with this guy from school that knows a good amount about scripting and shares an intrest in making a game.
    (but you probably don't care about that)

point is, i need some more help. :confused:
    i thought it would be cool to have a construction pack type device in my game.
    i alredy added a "use pack" button in my game (tested it, it works) i was just wondering if anyone could help me add it into my game; i'm not expecting a full step-bystep explination, but mabey a recourse? something.

Thanks.
  • Best place to learn about TGEA and TGE is the TDN Database from GG.
    http://tdn.garagegames.com/wiki/TDN_Home&needLogin=1
    Need to use your account though.
  • it is free?
  • Yeah, You just need to use/create a account.
  • Like i said before, ask the gentlemen on the forums. One thing, don't act needy, but do show that you actually are listening/understand what they're telling you.
    If you don't understand, immediately tell them you don't, don't just go, "Ok, add the variable to the conjugate on line 12 and 56? Easy enough" and have no idea what you've said.
  • ok, again i come here. With more questions.
    how do i export my TGE game?
  • What do you mean, export? You should be able to simply run the game exe (that should have came with TGE as the "FPS.StarterKit") and have it run, as it would under any other cirumstance. Just rar it up and distribute.

If you mean, that you have a crapload of sourcecode files you don't want people to see, and you have added to them, you have to compile them into an exe, and then overwrite the old exe (back it up first).
  • i mean so i can send it to others without giving them the whole game engine.
    i found that if you put the game folder, common folder, Torque demo.exe and main.cs in the same folder it works. sort of.
    i get an error message OpenAl failed to initialize and i get no sound :'(
  • Yah, To run the game you need to have Main/Main.cs/Demo.exe/Common/Starter.FPS and all the DLLS (assure that you have those DLLs) in the same folder.

Do you have the engine sourcecode? Or just the TGE demo?
  • just the demo :(
    the game runs but sound doesn't play.
    i need to have 2 files called main?
    what is a DLL (sorry for being a noob)
  • No worries, a DLL is anyfile with the DLL file extension, it's like a really simple commandline runner, it's runs parameters on Exes like, C:/Torque/Demo.exe -OpenAL

if you ran that DLL it would run Demo.exe with OpenAl as a parameter which would be read by main.cs.

It's linked to a Exe on exectution. In this case, you're missing the OpenAl DLL that the exe calls to port sound.

Try to find it in your files (should be in the same folder as your exe), or look for the OpenAL.dll on the web.
  • heeey, thank you! :) everything works.