[*] TribesNext Beta Release

That's it, we've finally released the first beta of the patch, check it out over at:

http://www.tribesnext.com/info

This version is pretty stable, but there have been a few issues. If you run into any problems, please, please let us know so we can fix them. I'll edit this thread with some more jib-jab later. Feel free to move your discussion of it over to this thread.

Note: You cannot use the SI executable, make sure your shortcut points to Tribes2.exe.
There will be instructions on how to get SI to function soon, but for now you'll have to play without it.

Current Known Issues (as of the 2009/01/02 beta release):
  • There appear to be some transient issues with 1024-bit RSA keys in the generator. We STRONGLY recommend using either a 512-bit or 768-bit key when generating your account.
  • In the event your Tribes 2 game crashes or closes unexpectedly, the code that terminates the connected Ruby interpreter may not run. If this happens, you will see a process entry with 'rubyintersect.dll' as the image name. These can be safely terminated if they are not connected to the game.
  • This patch and associated scripts do not function in recently tested versions of Wine. We are working on some sort of solution for Linux users, but unfortunately you're out of luck for now.
  • Non-dedicated Tribes 2 servers are not currently supported. Dedicated servers make up the majority of the hosts, but we will try to fix this as soon as possible.
  • Defense Turret is not supported when running this patch. We made significant changes to the executable to accommodate the inclusion of a Ruby interpreter.

Shoutout to our first group of testers (if I've left you out let me know):
Sloik
OniLink
Phantom139
Eolk
Naosyth
Octopussy

Comments

• 1st post in the new age of "Next", let this ring through history and be read in textbooks for years to come, that EmperorsChamp was first.
  • Holy SHIT.. Nice!

Will test tomorrow, congratulations y'all working on this, I'm really glad to be part of a community with such dedicated members, willing to give everyone their time and dedication in exchange for nothing, but the joy of helping a great game stay in track.

Dunno how many times this has happened before, but T2 has got to be the only game I've ever heard about whose users have been so stubborn they didn't only endure aging (as in.. the game.. not us), but together we managed to keep the game alive despite the fact it was cancelled by the very makers.

Thyth, Krash, and whoever else worked on this.

I must say, I'm really proud.

oh yeah, btw..

FIRST!

Edit : FUCK YOU ALVISS YOU STOLE MY PLACE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • That's it, we've finally released the first beta of the patch, check it out over at:

http://www.tribesnext.com/info

This version is pretty stable, but there have been a few issues. If you run into any problems, please, please let us know so we can fix them. I'll edit this thread with some more jib-jab later. Feel free to move your discussion of it over to this thread.

Current Known Issues (as of the 2009/01/02 beta release):
    • There appear to be some transient issues with 1024-bit RSA keys in the generator. We STRONGLY recommend using either a 512-bit or 768-bit key when generating your account.
    • In the event your Tribes 2 game crashes or closes unexpectedly, the code that terminates the connected Ruby interpreter may not run. If this happens, you will see a process entry with 'rubyintersect.dll' as the image name. These can be safely terminated if they are not connected to the game.
    • This patch and associated scripts do not function in recently tested versions of Wine. We are working on some sort of solution for Linux users, but unfortunately you're out of luck for now.
    • Non-dedicated Tribes 2 servers are not currently supported. Dedicated servers make up the majority of the hosts, but we will try to fix this as soon as possible.

Shoutout to our first group of testers (if I've left you out let me know):
    Sloik
    OniLink
    Phantom139
    Eolk
    Naosyth
    Octopussy

Lol, it took exactly 2 months for the patch to be completed and released. (depending on timezone)

November 3rd 2008 - January 2nd & 3rd 2009

Thank You!
  • hooray! took a while D:
  • This afternoon I started up T2, clicked on TX for some construction however was plesantly surprised to find out that the beta patch is out.
    I proceed to install the patch and restart T2, tried to create a new account (Server was in Online status) generated a 512-key, but got "The server detected a problem in your request and could not create an account" (and yes I triple checked the password and password confirmation).
    Has anyone else encountered this problem?
  • Did you try reopening the game and generating a new key? There is an off chance that it will produce a bad one once in a while.
  • Did you try reopening the game and generating a new key? There is an off chance that it will produce a bad one once in a while.
    Yup tried it multiple times but to no avail. Is a fresh install required? No hence the patch...

Problem solved and spawned another, I succesfully created an account by using the Construction(Online) shortcut instead of the SI(Online) shortcut. The next problem I encountered after trying to join a server, after getting the regular connecting to server message it returns me instantly back to the serverlist. (that goes for any "construction" server I try)

I think it may be similar what's described here:
    In the event your Tribes 2 game crashes or closes unexpectedly, the code that terminates the connected Ruby interpreter may not run. If this happens, you will see a process entry with 'rubyintersect.dll' as the image name. These can be safely terminated if they are not connected to the game.
    source: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0
  • Hmm maybe I should have read this thread before choosing 1024.

So far I have:
    - Successfully joined TX and run around for a while.
    - Successfully joined a non-TribesNext server.
    - Successfully quit Tribes 2.
    - Tried to log back in, but was told my password is incorrect several times. No, caps lock is not on.
    - Used the "retrieve account" feature. It told me that my account isn't stored locally. I guess the explain that last one.
    - It told me that account credentials were downloaded successfully, but didn't log in.
    - Still unable to log in using either method.

- Created another account (PuppyWear) using 768.
    - Done all of the above.
    - Successfully logged back in.

So next time I'll remember to read the known issues first.
  • I figured out that it likes to be run in base Tribes 2 while making an account. I made my account just fine. I suggest running it in base while making the account.
  • Just tried it out, everything works fine, but it doesn't work with DT for me. Shortly after I log in with DT, it gives me a message saying my Tribes.exe has been modified, and to fix the problem, then it boots me out.

edit: now DT gives me the same problem even when I use the alternate master server list in LAN without the Tribes Next startup :mad:
  • Just tried it out, everything works fine, but it doesn't work with DT for me. Shortly after I log in with DT, it gives me a message saying my Tribes.exe has been modified, and to fix the problem, then it boots me out.

edit: now DT gives me the same problem even when I use the alternate master server list in LAN without the Tribes Next startup :mad:

What's DT?

The only idea I have is not to use it, heh, because the T2 Exe has been modified and there is no way you can play this without modifying it.
  • I think hes talking about Defense Turret, its an anti cheat thingy, and it must not like TribesNext modifying the Tribes2.exe.
  • Yeah Thyth already said DT will no longer work. Any patched install can't use DT, online or offline. In light of this, I will disable DT on Slap Happy.
  • NNNOOOO!!!!!!
    Damn Tribes Next logo covers the ACCM one. :(

And I can't use my voice chat on ANY server.
    Also, every action I perform in-game seems delayed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2453&stc=1
    • NOOOOEEES!!!.PNG
  • I would like to say this again... I can't use my voice chat on any server... :(
    Nor can I disable null voice.
  • many people have that problem.
    me for example.
  • Yup tried it multiple times but to no avail. Is a fresh install required? No hence the patch...

Problem solved and spawned another, I succesfully created an account by using the Construction(Online) shortcut instead of the SI(Online) shortcut. The next problem I encountered after trying to join a server, after getting the regular connecting to server message it returns me instantly back to the serverlist. (that goes for any "construction" server I try)

I think it may be similar what's described here:

source: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.0

Alright I backed up my Construction Folder and only did a fresh install of T2 and the patch. I'm getting a total of 4 servers TX, BC, Krypton and NOS, none of which I can connect to. Is there something i'm missing?
  • Yes Ment it seems you need the microTCMS, now i'm seeing all the servers again. In addition to that I installed the lobbytab and debriefstartup. However I still cannot connect to any Construction Server at all, no error no loading just nothing.
  • i cant log into the construct TX, can you plz package new master in a zip or vl2?
  • I dont know if this will fix any of your bugs, but it helped me:

• If you can't see any servers, remove all filters
    • If you can't join a server, try doing $IPv4::InetAddress = ipv4_getInetAddress(); (Shouldnt need to do that any more though)
    • If you can't log in with a 1024 bit key, you probably need to recreate the account (I had the same issue, just ask Thyth some time)
    • Also, make sure NOT TO USE the SI executable. It isnt patched. You wont be able to create an account with it.
  • . I can't use my voice chat on any server... :(.

Yaaay! Tis a late christmas present!

It appears when i host a server, i don't get a name.
    It also doesn't like it when i kick people. :P

Edit:
    turns out that, thats due to me running non-dedicated
  • If any of you were having problems with logging in or joining servers, try downloading the latest version of the installer. It's been updated a few times, and should fix some of the problems people have mentioned.
    Ment, I think the problem you're having with joining servers is from the IP check (stored in $IPv4::InetAddress as Naosyth mentioned). After you've updated to the latest version, do me a favour and get me the output of echo($IPv4::InetAddress); in your console.
    i cant log into the construct TX, can you plz package new master in a zip or vl2?

Unfortunately, no. We cannot distribute modified versions of the game files. If you want to ask a friend to package the files and send them to you we couldn't stop you.
  • Also, every action I perform in-game seems delayed.

That may be because your heart is beating at 400bps.
  • You dont get a name? Are you hosting dedicated or non dedicated?
  • Yes Ment it seems you need the microTCMS, now i'm seeing all the servers again. In addition to that I installed the lobbytab and debriefstartup. However I still cannot connect to any Construction Server at all, no error no loading just nothing.

Installing the updated patch resolved the problem I had of not being able to connect to any constrcution servers. So fellow tribers update to the latest patch.
    I'll now proceed to install Construction and Metallic.

Thanks to Thyth and Krash
  • i still need a zip version of the patch
  • i still need a zip version of the patch
    http://www.the-construct.net/forums/showpost.php?p=21380&postcount=192

Now will you please stop posting your problem everywhere?
  • lol sorry.

couldnt you just get a copy of the patched tribes2.exe?