[Projects][1] The Spaceport

This is a group construction project that everyone is invited to contribute to. You do not need to be a construction expert or build in a specific style; the only real rule for building is that it fits into the theme of the project in some way.

Theme: Spaceport full of ships!

PHASE ONE: Getting started!
We can get a few people and get started building whenever you're ready.
A few questions to help in planning the project together:
  • What days/times would be best for scheduled build days? Weekends?
  • Which map should be used for the extent of the project?
  • Do you have any cool ideas for the spaceport/ships? If you like to work from references, put together some pictures in this thread for inspiration.
  • Do you know some backstory about the spaceport? Is there a secret society of software pirates operating out of the port ventilation ducts?
  • Does anyone want to work in a group within the group on part of the project?

PHASE TWO: Phase one!

Comments

• how about a completely featureless and terrainless map with black fog, very high visibility and a starry skybox?
    maybe orbiting a huge, dead sphere which used to be our beloved planet.
    also.. what ever happened to pirate I?
  • I am actually pretty open to most schedules at the moment.

As far as map is concerned, as long as it is interesting and has high visibility I don't care if it is actually in space or not :p

I figure people that don't want to build ships could work on the actual space port? Anyone that wants to solo build doesn't have to follow a specific theme, they can just work on a ship nearby?

And the Pirate I, YES.
  • Just give me a date to join in, and I'll make some room.
  • I could throw together a new spacey map... quickest would probably be just to throw a new skybox and with a black layer of fog on the terrain over flatland, since deleting the terrain would make anyone who opens the cc crash, and setting the tiles to empty is just bothersome. Another idea though is using a serverside terrain with an "atmosphere" (foggy area under a water layer barrier) for say... 100m up, and above that is all open starry space. Might be tricky to have it look good without being corny, but it could be interesting if people want to be able to beam down to the surface.

Just give me a date to join in, and I'll make some room.

These are long term group projects, so it would work best if you jump on whenever you can to add something to it when the projects get started. The scheduled days will basically be for everyone to get on at the same time and make a big push or just hang out.
    :)
  • I suppose I could come around and attempt something. Mondays-Fridays the earliest I can be on is 4PM Eastern time. Weekends of course, can just be whenever for me.
  • I might hop on and make a new ship some time
  • Ship building isn't really my thing but i'll muster up some creativity
  • I put up a test space map on the project server if you want to try it out. Threw it together pretty quickly, so it can still be changed around if there's something about it you think should be different.
  • Krash... when is that standalone construction game going to be released? :(

Also, this might be relevant
  • Front to back: Doe's ship, my ship, and Deflun's Spaceport!

Don't miss out!
    • screen.Sep-21-12.121608.png
  • well this is comming along nicely, not bad for day1 (or 2, depending on your timezone)
    • screen.Sep-21-12.032606.png
    • screen.Sep-21-12.032818.png
    • screen.Sep-21-12.032844.png
    • screen.Sep-21-12.032926.png
  • A few new screenshots, good work so far but we need more people!
    • screen.Sep-22-12.051121.png
    • screen.Sep-22-12.051152.png
  • A few new screenshots, good work so far but we need more people!

I'm getting to mine when I could between school work and programming projects of mine, but yea, would be nice if we had more people building.
  • Well, we might be able to offer some sort of incentive for people to build, but half the battle is letting them know.

Krash... when is that standalone construction game going to be released?
    Eventually!
  • I can offer some cheepo steam game gifts. I'm in an awkward stage where I am in between college courses/no job at the moment. Low on money but have too much time. I don't have any classes starting for a few more weeks still.
  • We should also schedule a few days to try to get on all at once, which is usually when people like to do things other than float around. Maybe have one at some point this weekend? Saturday?

A few possible things so far that could possibly be offered up as prizes so far are: Torchlight (courtesy of Mentulmhat) and Torchlight 2 (courtesy of Shane).
  • for being the SA we hate, Shane sure is being nice :p
    I agree with you on the fact that people seem to build only when there's lots of other people, and specially if they are building as well, I think it's the feeling of people jetpacking around and lsb's being placed (I always pictured fresh new lsb's to smell like new cars) that takes people back to the age of construction and makes them want to build some more.

However I don't think you should offer more prizes because this is not a contest!, it was supposed to be a project, HOWEVER, instead of that you could fix a date and send agressive/nice invitations to everyone for building, perhaps the promise of some sort of con-con will attract those who would otherwise skip the event because they know everyone's got a different idea of when to join the server.
  • Saturday is completely open to me right now!
  • Saturday is completely open to me right now!

Anytime during the weekend here.
  • Saturday up till around 8ish Eastern is now unavailable for me, but I will be on that night for sure. Trying to round up a few more people who don't check the forums often.
  • Just bang on the TC drum and they will come.
  • I think this is the first time someone mentions facebook in here, but even if it's not, I think it would be a very good idea to make some sort of TC Facebook Group that way everyone who uses facebook to keep track of things they'd rather forget (like, everyone I know including me) won't forget!
    we could use facebook events to plan on construction derbies or just use the group forum to share pictures or other goodies

it's not really a terrible idea now is it?
  • I'd join it.