Building to .obj Conversion

This is more of a proof of concept than anything else.. I might make it better later.
It still has a few issues, mainly, the vertices aren't centered around 0 0 0, and rotation is.. weird.

Uploading images doesn't seem to work, so I'll just link to images for now.

Links below:
Bridge
Ship_Navitas
Ship_Big
Ship_Marauder
Tank
  • Bridge.png

Comments

• This would be amazing, create objects in Tribes 2, and then throw them into reality as a tank or a pelican on Command & Conquer, or any other game that is mod-able.

Very nice.
  • that is awesome.
  • Now add texture support.
  • ...Amazing.
  • Yeah.. about textures... I'm not exactly sure how to do that
  • This blows my fucking mind.
    Yeah.. about textures... I'm not exactly sure how to do that

It's pretty easy to learn how to texture things in Blender. Sadly, the really awesome and comprehensive tutorial site i learned from,
    ( lowpolycount.com community ), isn't around any more.

I could give you a few lessons in texturing and exporting if you like, though.
  • Holy...

Would you like to do that with my statues?
  • Holy...

Would you like to do that with my statues?
    Well, it has limitations... textures with huge white space (like vehicle pads or logo projectors) will show up as giant blocks. It can only handle rectangular solids at the moment... If you think your statues will convert good, then I'd try it for you.
    It's pretty easy to learn how to texture things in Blender. Sadly, the really awesome and comprehensive tutorial site i learned from,
    ( lowpolycount.com community ), isn't around any more.

I could give you a few lessons in texturing and exporting if you like, though.
    Well.. I'm pretty sure I can just make an array of T2 textures to solid colors that are similar.. but I'm not sure how I'd take a T2 texture and use it for this.

And.. on another note... is it possible to find the vertices of a shape in T2? That'd be really helpful for making non-rectangular shapes..
  • What about Blue Pads?
  • And.. on another note... is it possible to find the vertices of a shape in T2? That'd be really helpful for making non-rectangular shapes..

I can't say for sure, unless you know a way to read the objects .dts model and get the actual shape of the object from it (shouldn't be too difficult), you're stuck with bounding boxes.

Actually, one way that comes to mind is using the collision boxes of the objects, some collision boxes actually conform to the objects real shape model.
    Well, it has limitations... textures with huge white space (like vehicle pads or logo projectors) will show up as giant blocks.

I'm sure you can add in a line of code in the conversion script that turns certain datablocks (Logo Projectors) into plane-shapes (2-dimensional 4-poly squares), so they don't show up as giants cubes.

Nao, you realise how much you could make off this? One of the biggest problems i've encountered with making indy games is modelling. Now i could just make my model in real-time in-game. The market for it, just in the TGE community, would be huge.
  • Nao isnt a money-hungry monster.
    >_> i hope.
  • I agree with Eolk.

tank.JPG

Given the right rendering and texturing, that tank could look fuckingly professional.
    This could be the bridge between T2 and Gmod. (uh..)

Also, it could mean that we can have what Con Mod has been looking for eons :

Flyable, enterable starships.
  • Hehe

Well, I was talking with Thyth last night, and he told me of a possible way I could get the vertices of objects. He also mentioned something about rotation that went way above my head...

I'll try working on it more throughout the week. I need to figure out how I plan on structuring the code.. right now it's all just in one big function.
  • Holy shit, I mistook Alviss for Eolk!!!!
  • Holy shit, I mistook Alviss for Eolk!!!!

Do i look like a two ton elk?
  • Do i look like a two ton elk?
    An elk! *loads hunting rifle*
  • SIMPLY AWESOME!!! :eek: If t2 has .obj support, we may see some awesomely detailed maps :D
  • Like, urban maps?
  • SIMPLY AWESOME!!! :eek: If t2 has .obj support, we may see some awesomely detailed maps :D

it doesn't, it has .dts support, but .obj can be turned into .dts.
  • Then Tribes2 second most-wanted dream (maps with enterable buildings) is at our disposal.
  • Then Tribes2 second most-wanted dream (maps with enterable buildings) is at our disposal.

think of all the fun zombie survival scenarios we'd have DO IIIT DOOOO IIIIIIIIT :D
  • think of all the fun zombie survival scenarios we'd have DO IIIT DOOOO IIIIIIIIT :D

Fuck that!, we could finally be able to implement tactical combat for tactical combat mods (ACCM)
  • Gentlemen...why not BOTH?!

O_O
  • Or, we could go one step at a time...

Today, light support beams and simple conversions...

Tomorrow, THE WORLD!!!

no.. really

I still need to extract all the info about vertices and such for every shape, and completely rewrite my code.

so yeah... I'll work on extracting all those vertices soon (I looked at one texture, it had 44 faces when I only counted 22.. so, I need to find out where those other 22 are, and a good way of doing things...)
  • so yeah... I'll work on extracting all those vertices soon (I looked at one texture, it had 44 faces when I only counted 22.. so, I need to find out where those other 22 are, and a good way of doing things...)

I'm not sure if this matters, but quite often, modelers will only texture/create one half of the object, and mirror that side... perhaps theres a line in the model that says, "Mirror the above code on these positions in the 3d space". Also, perchance, the interior of these objects are also being textured? That would account for the face doubling.

Also,
    Gentlemen...why not BOTH?!

O_O

MADNESS!
  • We already have enterable buildings, but they let blasts through them.
  • I figured out why it was doubled..

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I can get it to work with the vertices of the models. I'll just need to make a ton of .obj files with only vertice/face info and stuff. I'm not sure if I want to code it in torque or java though.. torque's lack of good arrays will make it annoying.
  • I figured out why it was doubled...

... why?
  • Well...

I was treating faces like rectangles.. not triangles >_>

(I've never worked with models and such before.. how was I to know it used triangles? >_<)
  • Well...

I was treating faces like rectangles.. not triangles >_>

(I've never worked with models and such before.. how was I to know it used triangles? >_<)

Rectangles don't make good curves?