Osama Bin Laden is DEAD

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a ground operation outside Islamabad based on US intelligence, the first lead for which emerged last August.

Mr Obama said after "a firefight", US forces took possession of his body.

Bin Laden was accused of being behind a number of atrocities, including the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001.

He was top of the US' "most wanted" list.

Mr Obama said it was "the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al-Qaeda".

The US has put its embassies around the world on alert, warning Americans of the possibility of al-Qaeda reprisal attacks for Bin Laden's killing.

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.

Compound raided

Bin Laden approved the 9/11 attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died, saying later that the results had exceeded his expectations.
Analysis
Haroon Rashid BBC News, Islamabad, Pakistan

Last night there were rumours an operation was going on in an area close to Abbottabad. There were unconfirmed reports of a military helicopter crashing in the area as well.

Witnesses said the whole area was cordoned off and nobody was allowed close although they did hear gunshots and firearms. But nobody had any inkling that this was an operation to get Osama Bin Laden.

For those who keep a close on eye on these matters it wasn't a total shock that he was ultimately hunted down in an urban area.

In the past we have had reports of him being treated in hospitals in Rawalpindi for kidney problems. There was even one report that he was treated in the southern city of Karachi. All of these were officially denied.

And some of the big al-Qaeda and Taliban names in the past have been captured in big Pakistani cities. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the Kuwaiti-born senior al-Qaeda leader, was captured in Rawalpindi and Afghan Taliban military commander Mullah Baradar was reportedly captured in Karachi.

He evaded the forces of the US and its allies for almost a decade, despite a $25m bounty on his head.

Mr Obama said he had been briefed last August on a possible lead to Bin Laden's whereabouts.

"It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground," Mr Obama said.

"I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located Bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan.

"And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorised an operation to get Osama Bin Laden and bring him to justice," the president said.

On Sunday a team of US forces undertook the operation in Abbottabad, 100km (62 miles) north-east of Islamabad.

After a "firefight" Bin Laden was killed and his body taken by US forces, the president said.

Mr Obama said "no Americans were harmed".

Giving more details of the operation, a senior US official said a small US team had conducted the operation in about 40 minutes.

One helicopter was lost due to "technical failure". The team destroyed it and left in its other aircraft.

[Video]
"After a firefight, US forces killed Osama Bin Laden and took custody of his body"

Three other men were killed in the raid - one of Bin Laden's sons and two couriers - the official said, adding that one woman was also killed when she was used as "a shield" and two other women were injured.

The size and complexity of the structure in Abbottabad had "shocked" US officials.

It had 4m-6m (12ft-18ft) walls, was eight times larger than other homes in the area and was valued at "several million dollars", though it had no telephone or internet connection.

The US official said that intelligence had been tracking a "trusted courier" of Bin Laden for many years. Bin Laden's identity was discovered four years ago, his area of operation two years ago and then, last August, his residence in Abbottabad was found, triggering the start of the mission.

Another senior US official said that no intelligence had been shared with any country, including Pakistan, ahead of the raid.

"Only a very small group of people inside our own government knew of this operation in advance," the official said.

The Abbottabad residence is just 700 metres (2,300 ft) from the Pakistan Military Academy - the country's equivalent of West Point.

'Momentous achievement'

Former US President George W Bush described the news as a "momentous achievement".

[Map]

"The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done," Mr Bush said in a statement.

His predecessor, Bill Clinton, said in a statement: "This is a profoundly important moment not just for the families of those who lost their lives on 9/11 and in al-Qaeda's other attacks but for people all over the world who want to build a common future of peace, freedom, and cooperation for our children."

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says that, to many in the West, Bin Laden became the embodiment of global terrorism, but to others he was a hero, a devout Muslim who fought two world superpowers in the name of jihad.

The son of a wealthy Saudi construction family, Bin Laden grew up in a privileged world. But soon after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan he joined the mujahideen there and fought alongside them with his Arab followers, a group that later formed the nucleus for al-Qaeda.

After declaring war on America in 1998, Bin Laden is widely believed to have been behind the bombings of US embassies in East Africa, the attack on the USS Cole in Yemen in 2000 and the attacks on New York and Washington.
Kinda sucks that he wasn't captured alive to be properly made an example, but his fate was nonetheless finally reached.

1 more reason for our troops to head back home.

I bet my high school world history and human geography teacher is jumping around frantically screaming "I KNEW HE WAS HIDING IN PAKISTAN I KNEW IT!!!"

Comments

• funny how they lost a chopper to mechanical failures, didn't NATO lose a fighter to the same reason in libya?

also, I hope it wasn't a clone and it was the real towel head moron, hopefully after this those bastards will think it twice before rampaging in holy suicide wars like they were still in the fucking feudal age!
  • Headshot
  • Confirming I have his corpse in EVE.
  • Yay for retarded amounts of traffic induced by retarded amounts of vehicle searches at every military base ever induced by retarded amounts of paranoia!
  • Amazing what America can do when the Playstation Network goes down.
  • Osama was quite the pimp. He had 6 wives.

Wasn't he funded and trained by the CIA to fight against Russians in Afghanistan a while back?
  • Osama was quite the pimp. He had 6 wives.

He even used one as a meat shield!
  • Wasn't he funded and trained by the CIA to fight against Russians in Afghanistan a while back?
    Back when the US was focused on containment of the spread of Communism.
  • Amazing what America can do when the Playstation Network goes down.

This just made my Day.
  • Funny how everyone is celebrating when celebrating is only going to bug the terrorists more.
  • He even used one as a meat shield!
    Bitch wouldn't make him a kebab.
  • By the time they found him you'd think there is someone else in charge rather than him. I wonder what their next plans are, in retaliation with this event.
  • By the time they found him you'd think there is someone else in charge rather than him. I wonder what their next plans are, in retaliation with this event.
    Anything worth having a price on their heads for.
  • Anything worth having a price on their heads for.

Maybe it was them who Haxxed the Playstation Network!
  • Maybe it was them who Haxxed the Playstation Network!

And that's what sealed osama's ultimate doom.

You can do whatever you want, but if you fuck with americas games you'll drop dead before you even realize it.
  • NkFIh.jpg

Bear Likes This

Nuff said.
  • NkFIh.jpg

This made me lol.
  • osama-bin-laden-dead.png
    Osama bin laden you now no why you don't screw with the Playstation net.
  • I should have six wives too. :/
  • Talking about polygamy, what would happen if in 15 years polygamous bisexual marriages appear?, that'd be insane, yet we're heading straight to it!
  • We have to let it happen, if we dont all the whiny kids in the world would say
    "THATS RACIST!!1!" and then go home and poo the bed, waiting for an adult that isnt themself to resolve the situation and ensure that no sort of opposition arises ever again.

Its just like with the burka bans, or even mentioning the term "black" or "dark" to describe anything at all...ever...
  • Talking about polygamy, what would happen if in 15 years polygamous bisexual marriages appear?, that'd be insane, yet we're heading straight to it!
    That would be legal hell for marriage licensing and divorces.
    Better off just being a group of intimate boyfriends and girlfriends living under the same roof.
  • even mentioning the term "black" or "dark" to describe anything at all...ever...
    ffs Zaxx, it's not dark chocolate, it's coloured chocolate!
  • ... Better off just being a group of intimate boyfriends and girlfriends living under the same roof.

Find a clever word to coin the term and write a book about it, you'll make millions within this decade, I promise!

I sugest.. Free Mariage, or Composite Household!
  • Find a clever word to coin the term and write a book about it, you'll make millions within this decade, I promise!

I sugest.. Free Mariage, or Composite Household!
    Composite sounds better.

On topic: I laughed hard when I saw the South Park episode about New Jersey again with Bin Laden getting shot in the head at the end.