Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)

Goodness, as if I wasn't shocked enough by SOPA/PIPA

http://www.inquisitr.com/184832/acta-worse-than-sopa-and-classified-as-national-security-by-obama-and-bush/
The demise of SOPA and PIPA, as temporary as it may be, means attention is now turning to ACTA (the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement). ACTA is a trade agreement that has already been signed by the United States and is even worse than SOP/PIPA. Trade Agreements do not require the same type of scrutiny that bills and laws do so ACTA was able to squeak by unnoticed. Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and the United States are all signatories, but pressure is already being applied to other countries to join. The EU has not yet signed ACTA but has to do so before May 2013.

The BRIC group of emerging nations – Brazil, Russia, India and China – are not part of the ACTA movement and have no serious incentive to join. The Indian government may even be forming a movement to counter the act.

As with SOPA and PIPA, ACTA takes a fairly bland idea – the right of companies to profit from their own intellectual property – and turns it into a governmental power grab and an excuse to weaken privacy on the Internet. The reason the activists are turning their attention to ACTA is that it provides the basis to criminalize almost any online activity. ACTA will give governments and large corporations the pretext to shut down any site, and imprison its owners, should there be political or corporate objections to that site’s content.Imagine a site runs a political story which is objectionable to someone in power. The site perhaps can’t be shut down because of that story, but ACTA will allow the authorities to find some other obscure breach that can be used. That’s also true of SOPA and PIPA.

Watch this video which explains the danger of ACTA.

Comments

• We're screwed.

This better not pass.
  • scary.. those bathroom sign men are now used to show me how this world wants to kill me!
  • Lets kill Deflun and steal his biscuits.
  • Why must they tamper with the very heart of the internet?
  • Because the people deciding on these things are either fasicts(punch me for misspelling) or they just don't use internet at all.
  • They are old/out of touch/failing businessmen who want to put there grummy hands on the lower class's form of knowledge, our access to the real world, or even our ability to free trade. They want to basically enslave us through additional controls, because well, they are upper class, there rich, and they feel entitled to it. They think they are better. That's where this comes from. Simple as that.

Its a lot like slave traders of old. If you teach your slaves, or let them learn, and they become smarter, they will use that power, and they will use it to gain what you don't want them to... freedom.

The internet is one form of access that we have to empower ourselves with knowledge, and were there "slaves."
  • ACTA passed, we're all dead.
  • ACTA passed, we're all dead.
    He Claims
  • Here's what will happen in 2012, either there's a worldwide french revolution and people rise and put all the politicians and media producers against the wall and shot, or we're all put against the wall and shot, either way, the wall's going to be busy this year, fucking MPAA, fucking RIAA, bunch of dinos, next to them jurassic park looks like disney land.
  • Quick, everyone move to Russia.
  • 2012 = Civil Revolution. These politicians are going to piss off the wrong person, and there will be an overthrow. You can already see some good examples of this.
  • 2012 = Civil Revolution. These politicians are going to piss off the wrong person, and there will be an overthrow. You can already see some good examples of this.

OMFG ITS PHANTOM.

*Pick up that can.*
    *I said pick up the can!*
    civp.jpg
  • *Pick up that can.*
    *I said pick up the can!*
    civp.jpg

807720-20920920cirno20touhou20e291a81.jpg
  • it'll be the seven hour war all over again before we know it.

Also, I think everybody's going to russia, so I say we should go to the cayman islands instead, it's capital is George Town!
  • We should go to Jamaca
  • JAMACAMAN.

Also, home in 20 days. ORIGHT.
  • ACTA does look quite scary.
  • I read up on ACTA policies, and it's changed a bit. It will be implemented feb. 2013, but a lot of it has been toned down. It will still be pretty bad, but not as extreme as before. We have time to stop it, so spread the word.
  • On one hand there's cactusman saying the shit is crazy, on the other hand we've got darkavenger here telling us it's toned down.. now it's time to choose your side, personally, I'm signing us all into anonymous's secret insurgency army, if I get 10 people to join one of us gets a free nade!
  • Count me in!
  • On one hand there's cactusman saying the shit is crazy, on the other hand we've got darkavenger here telling us it's toned down.. now it's time to choose your side, personally, I'm signing us all into anonymous's secret insurgency army, if I get 10 people to join one of us gets a free nade!

Yay free nade!