Is there an ATI Vista Tribes 2 fix?

tribes2artifacting.png

That's what I get when I try to play Tribes 2 with Vista and ATI. The only thing you don't see from the screenshot is that the artifacts flicker and change. I can fix this in the newest version of Torque Game Engine by setting $pref::OpenGL::disableARBTextureCompression to 1. Tribes 2 also has this pref, but, sadly, setting it to 1 doesn't solve the artifacting. Running in DirectX mode solves the problem, but TGE uses an OpenGL-to-DirectX wrapper for DX and is thus too slow to be playable (I get <24 FPS with an X1950Pro, E6600, and 2 GB RAM). Does any fix exist, or am I fucked?

Comments

• My screenshots come out just a big green screen
    So I use fraps
  • 1 ditch vista
  • Hmm, don't know of a fix, that is too bad. I use Vista with the crappy on board Intel card that came with my laptop and it works fine.
  • I don't think this is a Windows Vista specific issue, rather it is an issue with the quality of ATI's video card drivers.

I notice a similar texture glitch sometimes when looking at forcefields in my copy of the game, running in Windows XP on my T60 ThinkPad with an ATI Radeon X1400.

It only happens when looking at forcefields in specific angles, and I have asked other people with ATI hardware to stand in specific places to see if they also observed the strange texturing behavior. Everyone using ATI hardware has seen it.

For me, the glitch is rare enough, and unobtrusive enough, for me to care, but in the future, I will probably buy nVidia.
  • nvidea is all i use i have a geforce 7950 AMD duel core 3 ghz processer nforce 590 motherboard and 2 gb of ddr800
  • 1 ditch vista
    Vista's really not as horrible as most people say, a lot of the DRM stuff exists in XP as well, it's just not spoken of that much. Still, I'll dual boot XP if you buy me a copy :P
    I don't think this is a Windows Vista specific issue, rather it is an issue with the quality of ATI's video card drivers.

I notice a similar texture glitch sometimes when looking at forcefields in my copy of the game, running in Windows XP on my T60 ThinkPad with an ATI Radeon X1400.

It only happens when looking at forcefields in specific angles, and I have asked other people with ATI hardware to stand in specific places to see if they also observed the strange texturing behavior. Everyone using ATI hardware has seen it.

For me, the glitch is rare enough, and unobtrusive enough, for me to care, but in the future, I will probably buy nVidia.
    It's a problem specific to ATI's Vista drivers, this doesn't happen in XP.
    And odd, I've never seen any kind of forcefield rendering glitch.
    nvidea is all i use i have a geforce 7950 AMD duel core 3 ghz processer nforce 590 motherboard and 2 gb of ddr800
    Just don't try using nVRAID with Western Digital drives or make arrays over 2 TB. nVRAID sucks.
  • I think the 7.12 drivers fixed the problem! Well, I did also upgrade to 2xHD3870's. Don't see much reason why it wouldn't be fixed with my old card as well, though.

Edit: You will need to set $pref::OpenGL::disableEXTCompiledVertexArray to 1 in your ClientPrefs or else there'll be odd white rectangles on the terrain.
    Edit 2: Gah, nevermind, now other things are broken. There aren't any artifacts, but it stutters a lot when you rotate 180 degrees to look at lots of terrain you weren't looking at before, and lots of geometry isn't being rendered so everything looks messed up.
  • I have this same problem with my windows vista. Sadly however, my ATI Graphics card is incompatible with Vista, which pisses me off because I can't play Halo 2 on PC.
    I get this weird disturbing function, I start Halo 2 (PC), it runs for a fraction of a second, then my computer reboots. I have checked all drivers and everything. So I finally decided that I should just forget about it and wait for my new card to arrive...
  • It's not necessarily the card, could be BIOS settings or memory issues. Have you seen if it's able to log an error in the event log or gotten a minidump?
  • No, sadly. But my computer is 6 years old, and has had a few upgrades, I am unsure though about any error logs. I could go with the hexed XP crack for it.. Just many decisions, so little to decide.
  • Sounds like the sudden increase in power consumption caused by the initialization of the game engine is resulting in voltage dips sufficient to cause a system reset.

Video cards can suck a lot of power (which is why most of the high end video cards for the last few generations have had additional power connectors, so they can pull more than the AGP/PCI-E bus provides).

If the system has been through a few upgrades, the new components may be using more current than the original power supply was designed for. I've seen OEM systems ship with 250 watt power supplies that had to be replaced following CPU upgrades, GPU upgrades, or addition of multiple new drives.
  • Thats the weird thing though, I have a 500 watt power supply, (Didn't before I upgraded) I'll look into some new drivers. My sound card hasn't been upgraded, neither has my ATI card, (for some reason it wont update like it should). If you have any way to resolve it, please let me know.
  • I don't know if this will help, but we could give it a try.

Graphics Card Manufacturer Built by ATI
    Graphics Chipset RADEON X850 Series
    Device ID 4B4B
    Vendor 1002
    Subsystem ID 0312
    Subsystem Vendor ID 1002
    Bus Type AGP
    Current Bus Setting AGP 8X
    BIOS Version 009.008.001.004
    BIOS Part Number 113-A47503-103
    BIOS Date 2005/02/08
    Memory Size 256 MB
    Memory Type DRAM
    Core Clock in MHz 500 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 500 MHz
    Primary Display Yes
  • 500 watt name-brand power supply, or 500 watt cheap unknown-brand power supply?
  • What? x500
  • The new 8.1 drivers fix the problem completely! Go get them! (For the record, I got the "8.1 Hotfix" drivers, though I'm assuming the regular 8.1's also work.)

Edit: They also make AA work (at least for the HD3800 series) without needing the buggy and obscure RadeonAAFix.cs script.
  • Omg Nukem Needs This Info!!!
  • Blnukem won't come back unless it was extreme circumstance. But, I doubt it.
  • So he WONT use the driver and return in glory to T2?
  • Nope. He's too darn stubborn. That's why we call him gay and stuff behind his back. ;)
  • I actually got the point eolk! Yaaaay!
  • I actually got the point eolk! Yaaaay!
    Yes, a very rare occasion.
  • Maths makes kittens cry....
    Anyways, im guessing the fix worked?
  • Anyways, im guessing the fix worked?
    No, I just said it did earlier for no reason.
  • K, i dont mind
  • memtest86+
    jfgi.....
  • Regardless of what anyone would tell you, the solution is to remove vista completely from your PC and incinerating the DVD, only then problems may start to solve.
    Including those sexual in nature, it's just Vista giving bad kharma to it's users.
  • way to revive a dead thread.
    Thanks.
  • Regardless of what anyone would tell you, the solution is to remove vista completely from your PC and incinerating the DVD, only then problems may start to solve.
    Including those sexual in nature, it's just Vista giving bad kharma to it's users.

Vista is working fine for me so far. Only thing it does is freeze a lot more than XP..
  • way to revive a dead thread.
    Thanks.