Sleeping Disorder

Well this is great, my depression finally caught up with me, and I finally can't sleep at all.. ever since Sunday, I've been wide awake around 12:00AM in the morning, Right now I could probably run a damn mile. Thinking this is either from my depression, or from an insomnia that I am not aware about, either or, NOTHING WORKS.
It's pissing me off to, because I have work that starts this Monday at 8:00AM, and I have to have SLEEP in order to get up and have a good day.

At times I will literally feel really tired, and I will get to the point where I about pass out, but at those same times, I would try to lie down and sleep. Well when I try to lie down and sleep during those times too, It's like trying to sleep at 1:00 PM after you've been through your average every morning school day.

Well, I don't know what in sam hell is going on with me, but I will appreciate feedback as much as possible.

Thx!

Comments

• Lol, i have the same problem too, when i started tribes 2 again i can't go to sleep since then(Only When there's PEOPLE)
  • I can solve the problem. Let me get my metal bat, then meet me on my server later, I'll make ya sleep for a few days. ;)

But seriously... Did you try any sleeping pills?
  • For one. metal bats can only cause harm. and im sure MC is feeling a very big dose of that if he has depression. then again, MC might go to your server on the thoughts of suicide, so i think you should put that bat away.
    If you need help sleeping, stay up as long as you can then set an alarm, eventually your body requires to make up for that time lost and you feel you can sleep forever.
    --(my depression started 2 days ago, and there are many more people out there experiencing the same as you)
  • Depression? I doubt it. I don't think real depression comes until you are at least an adult. Until then, I think it's just stress coming from an unknown source or teenage angst or whatever you want to call it.

As for your sleeping problem, I used to have problems sleeping for a while, but, they eventually left me. I read books until it was late and I felt tired, I sometimes ran in place until I felt tired, I switched rooms to see if it was something in that room that disturbed me and kept me from sleeping. When I started having regular sleeping patterns again, I moved back into the room and slept just fine.
  • Sleeping problems? I must be lucky because i don't have any sleeping problems at all.:)
  • Depression? I doubt it. I don't think real depression comes until you are at least an adult. Until then, I think it's just stress coming from an unknown source or teenage angst or whatever you want to call it.

As for your sleeping problem, I used to have problems sleeping for a while, but, they eventually left me. I read books until it was late and I felt tired, I sometimes ran in place until I felt tired, I switched rooms to see if it was something in that room that disturbed me and kept me from sleeping. When I started having regular sleeping patterns again, I moved back into the room and slept just fine.
    Depression is a disease that afflicts the human psyche in such a way that the afflicted tends to act and react abnormally toward others and themselves. Therefore it comes to no surprise to discover that adolescent depression is strongly linked to teen suicide. Adolescent suicide is now responsible for more deaths in youths aged 15 to19 than cancer (Blackman, 1995). Despite this increased suicide rate, depression in this age group is greatly underdiagnosed and leads to serious difficulties in school, work, and personal adjustment which may often continue into adulthood. How prevalent are mood disorders in children and when an adolescent with changes in mood be considered clinically depressed? Brown has said the reason why depression is often over looked in children and adolescents is because “children are not always able to express how they feel.” Sometimes the symptoms of mood disorders take on different forms in children than in adults. Adolescence is a time of emotional turmoil, mood swings, gloomy thoughts, and heightened sensitivity. It is a time of rebellion and experimentation. Blackman observed that the “challenge is to identify depressive sympto matology which may be superimposed on the backdrop of a more transient, but expected, development storm.” Therefore, diagnosis should not lay only in the physician’s hands but be associated with parents, teachers and anyone who interacts with the patient on a daily basis. Unlike adult depression, symptoms of youth depression are often masked. In stead of expressing sadness, teenagers may express boredom and irritability, or may choose to engage in risky behaviors (Oster & Montgomery, 1996). Mood disorders are often accompanied by other psychological problems such as anxiety (Oster & Montgomery, 1996), eating disorders (Lasko, 1996), hyperactivity (Blackman, 1995), substance abuse (Blackman, 1995; Brown, 1996; Lasko, 1996) and suicide (Blackman, 1995; Brown, 1996; Lasko, 1196; Oster & Montgomery, 1996) all of which can hide depressive symptoms. The signs of clinical depression include marked changes in mood and associated behaviors that range from sadness, withdraw, and decreased energy to intense feelings of hopelessness and suicidal thoughts. Depression is often described as an exaggeration of the duration and intensity of “normal” mood changes (Brown, 1996. Key indicators of adolescent depression include a drastic change in eating and sleeping patterns, significant loss of interest in previous activity interests (Blackman, 1995; Oster & Montgomery, 1996), constant boredom (Blackman, 1995), disruptive behavior, peer problems, increased irritability and aggression (Brown, 1996). Blackman proposed that “formal psychological testing may be helpful in complicated presentations that do not lend themselves easily to diagnose.” For many teens, symptoms of depression are directly related to low self-esteem stemming from in creased emphasis on peer popularity. For other teens, depression arises from poor family relations which could include decreased family support and perceived rejection by parents (Lasko, 1996). Oster & Montgomery stated that “when parents are struggling over marital or career problems, or are ill themselves, teens may feel the tension and try to distract their parents.” This “distraction” could include increased disruptive behavior, self-inflicted isolation and even verbal threats of suicide. So how can the physician determine when a patient should be diagnosed as depressed or suicidal? Brown suggested the best way to diagnose is to “screen out the vulnerable groups of children and for the risks factors of suicide and then refer them to treatment.” Some of these “risk factors” include verbal signs of suicide within the last three months, prior attempts at suicide, indication of sever mood problems, or excessive alcohol and substance abuse. Many physicians tend to think of depression as an illness of adult hood. In fact, Brown, stated that “it was only in the 1980’s that mood disorders in children were included in the category of diagnosed psychiatric illnessess.” In actuality, 7-14% of children will experience an episode of major depression before the age of 15. An average of 20-30% of adult bipolar patients report having their first episode before the age of 20. In a sampling 100,000 adolescents, two to three thousand will have mood disorders out of which 8-10 will commit suicide ( Brown,1996), (Blackman, 1995) remarked that the suicide rate for adolescents has increased more than 200% over the last decade. Brown added that an estimated 2,000teenagers per year commit suicide in the United States. Making it the leading cause of death after accidents and homicide. Blackman stated that it is not uncommon for young people to be preoccupied with issuses of mortality and to contemplate the effect their death would have on close family and friends. Once it has been determined that the adolescent has the disease of depression, what can be done about it? Blackman has suggested two main avenues to treatment: “psychotherapy and medication.” The majority of cases of adolescent depression are mild and can be dealt with through several psychotherapy sessions of intense listening, advice and encouragement. Comorbidity is not unusual in teenagers, and possible pathology, including anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, learning disability or attention deficit hyperactive disorder, should be searches for and treated, if present (Blackman, 1995). For the more severe cases of depression, especially those with constant symptoms, medication may be necessary and without pharmaceutical treatment, depressive conditions could escalate and be fatal. Brown added that regardless of the type treatment chosen, “it is important for children suffering from mood disorders to receive prompt treatment because early onset places children at a greater risk for multiple episodes of depression throughout their life span.” Until recently, adolescent depression has been largely ignored by health professionals, but now several means of diagnosis and treatment exist. Although most teenagers can successfully climb the mountain of emotional and psychological obstacles that lie in their paths, there are some who find themselves overwhelmed and full of stress. How can parents and friends help out these troubled teens? And what can these teens do about their constant and intense sad moods? With the help of teachers, school counselors, mental health professionals, parents, and other caring adults, the severity of a teen’s depression can not only be accurately evaluated, but plans can be made to improve his or her well-being and ability to fully engage life.
    Shows what you know.
  • Shows what you know.
    I don't think
    That's my opinion on depression, not what I know for a fact about it. For all I know, depression could exist when you're below teenage. I still think real depression doesn't come until at least 18 years of age. I still think teenage "depression" is just an emotion that comes from a source the teenager doesn't realize and needs counciling on.
  • *Sigh* Whatever floats your boat
  • eolk, you are naive. Real depression does exist for teenagers, an age limit has absouletely no effect on maturity or emotions. Think, don't just go on what others tell you. Anyone can have any emotion at any time. It's like saying you can't fall in love until your 21.
  • Mc, feel free to chatz to me. you have my aim, and alot of poeple come to me with their problems since I've also been there. I'm here for my friends. =) *hugs*
  • i think MC will open up as much as he likes.
    Were all here still :)
  • It's like saying you can't fall in love until your 21.
    That's not standard procedure anymore. You have sex before you fall in love... if you're in love in the first place. :rolleyes:
    Real depression does exist for teenagers
    Maybe it does for rare occasions, but I don't believe it, and I probably won't be convinced until I discuss it with someone I know in person.
    age limit has absouletely no effect on maturity or emotions
    It can have an effect on how quickly one jumps to conclusion and it CAN have an effect on maturity and emotions. Where have you been lately?
    *Sigh* Whatever floats your boat
    You need to be more like Zaxxman. :D
  • you would prefer snow as a suicidal downer?
    ...its your opinion i guess.
  • You wouldn't suicide as long as you have hotchik.
  • jeje, i won't ever let him commit suicide, and that is exactly why i will be there with him till the very end :D;)
  • Maybe it does for rare occasions, but I don't believe it, and I probably won't be convinced until I discuss it with someone I know in person.

You really need to get out more... Most teens have depression one way or another, regardless if it's noticed or not. Some people tend to hide their true emotions and feelings (like myself) to keep the depression from getting out of hand. The problem with that is that containing emotions can cause... Emotional explosions, passive aggressiveness (which means you become an asshole) and fits of rage... And I demonstrated all of those in the past... Most often those who don't attempt control their depression develop sleeping disorders, become a smoker, develop another form of illness or try to kill them self.

The reason I said I would cure MC's sleeping disorder by knocking him unconscious with a steal bat, is because humor can help get suppress depression to some degree, trust me Eolk, I know for a fact. Judging by what Snowfire said, he knows too. Zaxx is too young to understand, and so are you, Eolk. So don't judge something you don't know about yet. When you get in high school, you will walk into emotional hell...
  • You really need to get out more...
    If you've never seen bigotry before, then YOU need to get out more, sir.
  • Bullshit. I have been dealing with this depression shit for years from myself and pretty much everyone in my school, and you are going to tell me I am wrong? You really don't know what you are talking about. And I don't give a damn who told you that bullshit that teenagers don't experience depression. And by the way Eolk, you know what causes depression right? Prolonged stress. So, in a way, we are both right (Mostly me.) Stress will cause depression if you are stressed for a long period of time.

EDIT
    : After seeing Zaxx's argument, I misunderstood him, he does know about it. Regardless, he pretty much killed your "opinion" Eolk. You do not know about it for a fact, thus, you will be rudely awakened when you do finally discover it.
  • You prolly can't sleep becuase you might have what is called restless body syndrome (i totally forgot the name, so i made up my own, i like it better :))

It's rampant in the gamer population, your brain is tired, but your body is not (becuase it's just been chillin). Tell me, when you try to sleep, does your mind run wild, thinking about 50 different subjects in 1 minute? The thoughts per minute doesn't really matter, just the running wild part.
  • That could be another explanation, but Eolk's ignorance is annoying most of the time...
  • You do not know about it for a fact
    I didn't say I knew about it for a fact, jackass, and if you read a little more of my argument with Zaxxman, maybe you wouldn't be so damn stupid.

I did some studying on the subject, and, I did change my opinion a little. Depression is more of a mood, and can be caused by a number of things. Snowfire was right: I was a little naive about it. I haven't experienced depression yet (and I probably won't for a loooong while).
  • I never said you knew about it as a fact. I was implying that it was your opinion and you didn't know the facts. Maybe if you read my posts, you wouldn't be so damn stupid.

And as you thinking you wont experience depression for a "long while" you will be rudely awakened when you get into high school.
  • I survived 2 years of high school without it, then it happened....
    But, the average depression span is 2 weeks-9 months
    And look out for supposed "friends" who start stabbing you with 3 inch blades. :(
  • Ok I can sleep now i have problem i am probably too energetic,i sleep when i'm only tired. :lol:
  • I survived 2 years of high school without it, then it happened....
    But, the average depression span is 2 weeks-9 months
    And look out for supposed "friends" who start stabbing you with 3 inch blades. :(

How can you have been in high school for two years if you're 14?
  • you would prefer snow as a suicidal downer?
    ...its your opinion i guess.
    Oh really? *pushes zaxxman down from cliff* Oops it wasn't suicide anymore, it was murder.
    *jumps off from cliff and hits on helicopter*
  • Mayby Zaxxman started high school on 6 grade and by now he is moving to 8 grade(like me).
  • Free hugs, anyone? That inclues you bln.
  • I got it. I have bipolar disorder.

-Significant changes in appetite and/or weight (e.g., may crave specific foods or be unable to eat)
    -Sleep problems (e.g., may have insomnia or sleep too much)
    -Loss of energy or fatigue (e.g., may take much longer to do simple, everyday tasks)
    -Trouble concentrating (e.g., may have a hard time making decisions or focusing on work)
    Slowed speech, thinking or body movements (e.g., may take a long time to answer a question)
    -Inappropriate feelings of guilt or worthlessness (e.g., may fixate on perceived failings)
    -Agitation or restlessness (e.g., may not be able to sit still)
    -Recurring thoughts of death or suicide (e.g., may have plans for how to commit suicide)

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes and yes.

EDIT: Tearfulness for no reason

Yes.
  • You can only have depression if you allow yourself too. You, and only you, are the master of your body and mind. Mind over matter, in this case... gray matter.