Garrys mod vs construction.

Hey guys some of you may know me, some not know who I am but I used to play t2con consistantly and I've been through a lot here in the community. I even converted the t2rpg map to construction which you may know as z0r Revisited. So heres a topic that I've thought about for a while. If you have a snotty flamer answer for the question please refrain from typing it, because I'm not asking the question for no reason.

Once I get enough answers I'll have another question for all of you that relates to the original question.

Which is better? Garry's mod or T2 Construction? Why is one better than the other? Are they even comparable? If so, how? If not, why? Give me your opinions so I can judge whether or not to ask my next question!

Comments

• Seeing as these are the Construction forums, I doubt there will be much gmod favouring. But then, on the gmod forums there would be hundreds or thousands of gmod fans to every person who had even heard of Construction. Half Life being so very mainstream ensures a ton of fans who will stick for it no matter what.

Myself I wouldn't say either is really better, they're used for different things and each has its strengths. There is a bit of room for comparison between the two, seeing as they're both "sandbox" mods.
    In terms of actual structural building - which is what this mod is all about - Garry's mod can't hold a candle to Construction.

I played Gmod quite a bit in the earlier releases, but stopped playing for the most part quite a while ago.
    Construction has held my interest for over five years. I've seen a number of generations of players rise only to fade away, and I can still go back in any day and have a lot of fun building something new.
  • I use to be a moderator for the Gmod forums and i would have to say Gmod would be the best option for building moving things such as a plane or a car.

But for building things such as houses and alike Construction mod wins.
  • Yeah I figured the people on these forums would be a bit more worldly, atleast when it comes to both gmod and t2con. I could have asked the same questions at a garry's mod forum and just about no one would know what t2con is.

check out this page and tell me what you think. Is it possible to mod garry's mod and have quantium vs metallic type of competition?

I don't mod and I wish I did, I should probably take the time to learn at some point, I just find mapping more interesting. Is there anyone on these forums who could bring this idea to the attention of a modding team?
  • oh yeah here's the site.... So check out the argument. http://www.chipsfunhouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70505#70505
  • They both have great qualities. Garrysmod has more features, yet construction allows better structural builds and flyable vehicles. So really, I don't know.
  • I use to be a moderator for the Gmod forums and i would have to say Gmod would be the best option for building moving things such as a plane or a car.

But for building things such as houses and alike Construction mod wins.

Hey B, nice to see you here. :)

I'd have to go with the general concencus and say that they're both good from different things.

Garry's Mod has a lot of high points and a lot greater depth than Con Mod. Since Source is a newer engine there are a lot of things you can do with little limitation. Moving parts are essential, and physics are fun. What it lacks in is sctructure. Sure, you've got a ton of parts to build with, a lot of them fun and useful, but stationary scalable elements are nowhere to be seen (As of gmod 9, can't speak for 10). Construction definitely has a steeper learning curve, but it's also a lot more powerful for sctructuring things like buildings and houses as B said. It may be less pretty, but a lot of the building is a lot more technical in my opinion. Sure, there aren't any pullies, physics, or impressive lighting and AI, but it too has held my attention for years compared to a few months of Gmod.

Also, since I've contributed maps to this mod, I feel a special tie to it. That's another thing, T2's editor blows Hammer out of the water.
  • I have absolutely no idea what Gmod is
  • Garry's mod. Highly popular sandbox mod for the mega-popular Half-Life 2. It won three 'Mod of the Year' awards in 2005 and is currently being sold on Steam for $10.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry's_Mod