Tribes 2 Revival?

This is an interesting topic I found while browsing another forum: http://rftribes.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=vqjmu6u3mpdtch3896ig0bg3c6&topic=102.msg313.

Tribes 2 revival forums: http://t2devo.com/.

Update: They've decided to merge with http://www.tribaloutpost.com/ because the webmaster has a lot on his own plate in life, so, he handed it over to someone who could manage it better than he could.

Comments

• Vivendi is under no legal obligations, despite what is said in that post.

It won't happen by their hand. If someone wants a new community system, they can build it themselves.
  • Well, if they did, I'd be more than happy to provide mirrors with my sites.
  • Psssh, maybe we can hijack the Browser, release a patch that has that and the IRC channels connect to a site we're running.
    But that require some engine mods. I think GameConnection::GetAuth() (SP) is an engine function, and connects to an IP that is defined therein.

Idk, it will give us something to talk about.
  • Isn't that illegal? That doesn't sound like a good way to attract Vivendi to support tribes 2 again. ;)
  • If - and that's a big if - Vivendi did begin distributing keys, they would not make any additional modifications to the game. The most they might do is compile a new installer and change the shortcut (and that's generous, suposing there could still someone who enjoyed tribes working for the big V).

Isn't that illegal?
    We're already distributing a modified EXE. :p

Actually, if you define $IRCTestServer, you can have it send all browser/tmail/chat related elements through your own IRC server. You'd have to set up a system to handle the commands and such, but it's doable - though it wouldn't be linked to the auth server.
  • They haven't given up, yet. Looks like he finally got in touch with a manager instead of a support guy.

http://rftribes.com/rfdm/
    http://rftribes.com/forums/index.php/topic,102.msg345.html#msg345
  • I think GameConnection::GetAuth() (SP) is an engine function, and connects to an IP that is defined therein.
    It doesn't connect to an IP.

When you log into the online part of the game, the authentication server gives you an authentication image. That image is what is returned by that function.

But how does the game server know the authentication image is valid? Asymmetric cryptography. The authentication image you get from the authentication server is digitally signed.

No game server<->authentication server communication is required to verify authentication images, beyond the initial communication that happens when the game server loads.

I'm sure you've noticed that when the authentication server has gone down in the past, it was impossible to initiate an online dedicated server. It is impossible to initiate because that initial key transfer communication fails.

If you want to replace the authentication system, I would suggest grafting Ruby to the T2 engine in a similar manner to the way Linker grafted Lua. Ruby has built in support for arbitrary precision integer types that are necessary for all major asymmetric crypto methods.
  • Now, they've made a revival site: http://t2devo.com/ and told everyone who's registered at rebels' forums.
  • Interesting... Very interesting...
  • wow, its cool they got in touch with a manager
  • Does this mean a team up with =rebels=? ¬.¬
  • I would suggest grafting Ruby to the T2 engine in a similar manner to the way Linker grafted Lua.
    Like this?
    • t2ruby.PNG
  • Fancy fancy. :)
  • Like this?
    Is that grafted to the engine, via shared library?

If yes, gimme.
  • Ruby for all!
    This includes a client and server executable, both of which provide access to ruby and lua!
    Both client and server are patched SI executables, so you can still use SI with your pretty ruby fun!

Installation
    • To install, simply unzip the package to your Tribes2\GameData folder
    • Alter your shortcuts to point to Tribes2_{pkg}-ruby.exe where {pkg} is either client, or server
    • Run, and enjoy!

Notes
    • By default ruby & lua print their output to the console. You can override this feature by re-implementing (overwriting) the functions rubyAddConLine(string) and luaAddConLine(string)
    • This file contains a new/updated t2dll.dll, so if you wish to preserve a previous version (for whatever reason) back it up beforehand!
    • This has only been tested on Windows XP (to a limited extent at that), if it explodes on any other platform don't come crying to me.
    • This is released as-is, and I am not liable in any way, shape, or form if it eats your harddrive, melts your eyeballs, or opens you to vicious assaults via the internet...you have been warned.
  • And so it begins. I've completed a round of testing of the big integer capabilities of Ruby.

I've started implementing the RSA cipher (15 lines of Ruby), an RSA key generator (generates large prime numbers), and a hash algorithm. These are the essential components of the authentication system, and they are pretty straightforward.

We don't need Vivendi now.
  • So...I got bored and quickly put a unified console together.

Installation
    • Unzip to Tribes2\GameData
    • delete DSOs
    • enjoy!

Notes
    • Your standard console bind (usually `) will open the console, from there you can select which one you wish to use (t2, lua, ruby) by clicking the appropriate button.
    • Due to the implementation, resizing doesn't really work...
    • Any other scripts that alter the console (i.e. Tricon) will likely interfere with this.
    • It is not a vl2 because I don't feel like writing a script to overwrite the default console...
    • This is released as-is, if it's broken...figure it out yourself.

Feel free to improve/rewrite entirely.
    • console-shot.png
  • So...I got bored and quickly put a unified console together.

Installation
    • Unzip to Tribes2\GameData
    • delete DSOs
    • enjoy!

Notes
    • Your standard console bind (usually `) will open the console, from there you can select which one you wish to use (t2, lua, ruby) by clicking the appropriate button.
    • Due to the implementation, resizing doesn't really work...
    • Any other scripts that alter the console (i.e. Tricon) will likely interfere with this.
    • It is not a vl2 because I don't feel like writing a script to overwrite the default console...
    • This is released as-is, if it's broken...figure it out yourself.

Feel free to improve/rewrite entirely.

I'm not complaining, it's more of an error report. On Windows Vista, Tribes 2 gives me an error that msvcrt-ruby18.dll is missing. I'm looking for it now.
  • Here's the DLL for you other people stuck with Windows Vista.
    DLL.zip 340.2K
  • So what that ruby does?
    EDIT: Nvm got it already...
  • I'm not complaining, it's more of an error report. On Windows Vista, Tribes 2 gives me an error that msvcrt-ruby18.dll is missing. I'm looking for it now.
    Yes, you need Ruby installed, or that DLL on your computer to use this.
  • But how does the game server know the authentication image is valid? Asymmetric cryptography. The authentication image you get from the authentication server is digitally signed.

Neat! :D
    Like this?

Great, another superior language i should learn. >:(
  • Great, another superior language i should learn.
    You shouldn't "learn" a language unless you intend to use it, or else you'll forget most or all of it. I read some of their documentation a long time ago on the program. Forgot everything about the programming language, though. :p
  • Why here isint nothing exciting at the time? :mad:
  • A quick update, seeing as in my rush to push the ruby executables out the door I broke SI in them...

Now with several packages to choose from!

t2-ruby includes the executables, DLLs, unified console, and a launcher (MS-DOS batch file)
    dll includes t2dll.dll and msvcrt-ruby18.dll
    console includes the unified console (now properly supporting resizing!)
    scripts includes lua and ruby initializers & utilities.
    launcher includes the custom launcher, and a registry file to enable DelayedExpansion in MS-DOS
    source includes full source-code.
    I want it all includes both t2-ruby & source

Installation
    • Unzip select package to Tribes2\GameData
    • Point shortcuts/launchers to required executable(s)
    • Delete DSO files
    • Run & Enjoy

Notes
    • The new DLL was built against ruby 1.8.7
    • Very little actual testing has been done. If it's broken, fix it yourself.
    • This is the last release I'm doing.
  • You shouldn't "learn" a language unless you intend to use it, or else you'll forget most or all of it. I read some of their documentation a long time ago on the program. Forgot everything about the programming language, though. :p

From what i've heard, most languages should be used over TorqueScript. If what else i've heard is true, this is one of them.
  • Well, yeah, TorqueScript isn't much use outside of Torque. Still, it's not a bad gateway language for getting to know the basic concepts - and modify a game at the same time.

Ruby is very easy to learn, and can be pretty useful if you get in to it. It's worth a shot if you really want to try it out.
  • So, what is the point of ruby? That fact seems to have escaped me entirely. =(
  • The point of Ruby in the context of a T2 revival is that it has built in support for math on very large numbers (think 303 digits long), whereas the largest number you can work with TorqueScript without reducing numerical accuracy is 2147483647. Even that large of a number is dubious, due to bugs in the script interpreter that corrupt least significant bits of a number.

Why do we care about the ability to work with huge numbers? Seems rather useless until you think about the numerical requirements for asymmetric cryptography. Every major asymmetric cipher relies on some operations being very slow on large numbers, while other operations are very fast. Asymmetric cryptography enables writing a script that lets one person prove that a message came from another person, and that one person is who they say they are. By now, I hope you can see how this would be useful for an authentication system.

A player can send an account request message to the authentication server. The authentication server can then create a ticket for the player that says the account is valid. When the player joins a game server, the server can check the ticket to see if the account is valid, and can make sure the player is who they say they are. Any changes to the ticket will make it invalid.

The only way to do this is to allow asymmetric roles, where there are separate signature and verification roles. Where anyone can verify a signature, but nobody can forge a signature.

RSA is one of the (conceptually) simplest asymmetric ciphers. There are three numbers: E, D, and N. E and N are public, and can be known to anyone (they are used for verification). D is private, known to only one person (used for signatures). The authentication server has an E/D/N set, and each player has their own E/D/N set. N is calculated as a multiple of two prime numbers (P and Q). P and Q are used to calculate E and D through the Euclidean extended algorithm. The only real way (provided special precautions are taken when choosing P and Q) to get D from E and N is to factor N into P and Q.

Easy, right?
    15 = 3 * 5, any child could figure that out.
    2224927 = 71 * 31337, a bit more complicated, but a computer could do that in a fraction of a second
    What if we go higher? This next one is 512 bits, or 156 digits.
    77543427 = 903363060349886081779903699376749423125
    98126945629080039358980696516831956279 * 114965715
    That took a distributed effort several months to crack. It was the RSA-512 server key used in the Earth and Beyond MMORPG. The server emulator community put together their computing resources to crack that back in 2006. On a modern high-end 8 core Xeon, the same computation might be possible in under 6 months.

Yet, at the same time, you can verify that factorization in a tiny fraction of a second. Multiplication is fast. Factoring isn't.

The idea is to use an RSA-1024 bit key for the authentication server, and if possible, for all clients. It would take about a century to compute the modulus factors, so it is safe from cracking. Finally, in the event my authentication system goes down, anyone with an existing ticket would still be able to play.

That's why I asked Turkey to integrate Ruby with T2. :)