You guys still at it?

Shrug.. who would have thought.

Comments

• Always. After many many years of developing my edition, I'm actually a week or two away from releasing the first public version of my edition. Construction has grown much since you, and the rest of the original development team left.
  • I suppose I should go and take a look (again).
    If you don't mind me asking.. what are the (major) new additions that can be seen in the various new versions? ^_^

And when is someone finally going to clean up dfunctions.cs?
  • I can do a quick overview of my edition (ECM), and of some of the general changes that seem to be around all of the servers.

Highlights from 0.69a to my current ECM beta:
    -Chat command system, with a rather extensive set of commands. I have more than 90 chat command functions in the latest version.
    -Graphical control GUI in the place of the score GUI (accessed by pressing F2 during game play)
    -Automatic cleanup of orphaned buildings after given period of time.
    -Item sensitive switches (to allow building all sorts of logical gates and machines)
    -Addition of a single unified door deployable containing vanishing, sliding, swinging, accordian, and collapsing door types.
    -Motion device, which allows moving small buildings around as single units. It uses a pretty fancy mathematics library to move and rotate the objects without distorting them.
    -Logic pack, a power sensing programmable switch which allows turning on/off frequencies based on logical combinations of sensed frequencies. For example, you can turn on frequencies 1 and 2 if (3 && (4 ^ 5)) evaluates to true.
    -Merge/Isometric Rotation/Split Tool, allows merging two orthgonally axis aligned adjacent pieces into one (resizes & repositions first piece to space fill the volume of both, then deconstructs the second), rotating by 90 degrees and resizing to maintain the same space fill (so you can change which sides of an object you see the most of), and splitting (cuts a piece into two exactly the same children, either in half or where the crosshair is positioned).
    -Retexturing tool to change the appearance of deployables within a certain set of datablocks.
    -Completely new saving system. It is almost completely generic and requires no special handling of deployables. It maintains cascade links after loading, and does a much better job of restoring the building state than the standard save system (especially with all of the new deployables).
    -Slightly overhauled power system (supports deployables that are powered by more than one power frequency, like the logic packs; supports dynamic range on the generators; among a few other minor enhancements).

That's by no means an exhaustive list. My full change log is 166 lines, and isn't even 100% complete. There are hundreds of smaller modifications to make the game play experience smoother, to improve server performance, to reduce the datablock count, or to improve robustness of deployables and the server in general.

Other editions also have chat commands, and almost all of them incorporate some version of the merge/isometric/split tool (MIST for short), though most of them just have the oldest version that does only merging. Every mod has some unique set of deployables, or forcefield textures, or vehicles.

So, check it out. I'm sure lots has changed since you left that has been around so long that I don't even remember.
  • :D Hey Most, haven't seen you in like 20 years.

Hop on our server sometime.
  • Nice of you to drop in Most :)
  • Thats when you know you made a mod good, when it can survive by just the fanbase alone. 5+ years and running lol
  • Since '02 :)
  • Since Aug 01 :P
  • We're talking about when we started playing construction, silly. 48a only came out around January 2002. :p
  • True, I was a Shifter mod engineer before construction because shifter is the best Tribes 1 mod