Creating Tutorials for Beginners?

I've been thinking about this for a while, although I'm convinced that the best way to learn Tribes Construction is by trial and error although a little help in the beginning would be a nice thing specially for beginners.
Would any of you fellow Tribers be willing to help in making small tutorials for beginners?

In addition to voting, comments are also welcome.

Comments

• jah, wrm niet? :D
  • maar ik heb probleem
    ik zie geen enkele online server in server list?
  • maar ik heb probleem
    ik zie geen enkele online server in server list?

TCMS.vl2 Breng in de map C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\Game Data\base map. Start Tribes 2 Solo and LAN.

Sorry, ik gebruik maken van een vertaling vanuit het Duits.

On that note, we should have multiple languages if we do. Possibly more subforums.
  • Ja mensen, maar dat is niet het onderwerp van de thread, please stay on topic!

Translation: Yes people, but that's not the subject of this thread, please stay on topic.
  • fucking cut the dutch, this is an english comunity, do you see me speaking spanish around here?!, do you see nukem speaking hebrew around here?!, no!?, then cut it out!, it's annoying, it's like when phantom starts spamming gibberish with warwolf because they use their fucking encrypters and shit instead of whispering to each other.
  • fucking cut the dutch, this is an english comunity, do you see me speaking spanish around here?!, do you see nukem speaking hebrew around here?!, no!?, then cut it out!, it's annoying, it's like when phantom starts spamming gibberish with warwolf because they use their fucking encrypters and shit instead of whispering to each other.

No reason to get annoyed, just because you can't understand what's being said, although I agree.
    Well I do agree that it makes it so much harder for people to communicate with each other, please place comments that actually have something to do with the subject (in english).
  • fucking cut the dutch, this is an english comunity, do you see me speaking spanish around here?!, do you see nukem speaking hebrew around here?!.

Lol... Wtf? How did I get dragged into this? :p

Never played a foreign game and wanted to find out how to play? I always wished someone was good hearted enough to at least try to help me.
  • Never played a foreign game and wanted to find out how to play? I always wished someone was good hearted enough to at least try to help me.

That one of the ways to learn a foreign language, to play games in another language. Most of the time I translate what other players say when it comes to dutch. But I'm always here to help other players if they have questions.
  • Never played a foreign game and wanted to find out how to play? I always wished someone was good hearted enough to at least try to help me.

I'am Chilean, I learned english almost completely by playing games like this.
    In my years of playing Con Mod, I have come up with many funny beings that can barely put up english sentences, but people around here are really good hearted and help them anyway.

Solo para que lo sepan, esque aqui nadie cacha que yo no hablo ingles desde chico?, soy chileno por dios santo.

y a la otra patita

Lol... Wtf? How did I get dragged into this? :p

I couldn't leave you behind mate.
  • Yes, we need to make a huge mega sticky, perhaps on the index page, where is says, 'Foums Downloads"

We could add a "Play Tribes2" option and have a tutorial for new players, because i've probably referred 7 people to the-construct.net to play t2, but have no idea how to get on a server. and i hate doing a personal 30min walk-though, of what to download and do.
    fucking cut the dutch, this is an english comunity, do you see me speaking spanish around here?!, do you see nukem speaking hebrew around here?!, no!?, then cut it out!, it's annoying, it's like when phantom starts spamming gibberish with warwolf because they use their fucking encrypters and shit instead of whispering to each other.

I agree.. fuck other languages. And especially fuck other sub-forums, we're not catering to them.
  • Yes, we need to make a huge mega sticky, perhaps on the index page, where is says, 'Foums Downloads"

We could add a "Play Tribes2" option and have a tutorial for new players, because i've probably referred 7 people to the-construct.net to play t2, but have no idea how to get on a server. and i hate doing a personal 30min walk-though, of what to download and do.

That's also a good idea, just last week I helped 3 new players get acquainted with con.

I agree.. fuck other languages. And especially fuck other sub-forums, we're not catering to them.

No...I hope that your only referring to other languages in this context and not in the general sense.
  • No...I hope that your only referring to other languages in this context and not in the general sense.

We all know Alviss was responsible for the tower of babel.
  • I've already made a construction tutorial.... it starts off with the basics and works the way up to merging... :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEU59SRhB28&feature=channel_page

Though, it would be nice to have tutorial videos In-Game on how to do certain things like in garrys mod.
  • I like this, And I have decided to take this challenge on. I will start working on an In-Game system that teaches new players the basics, The Do's and Do-Nots. And I will make this new system multi-compatible so It can be used in pretty much any mod.

I'll start a thread up with the progress of it (Sort of like the SI thread)
  • I like this, And I have decided to take this challenge on. I will start working on an In-Game system that teaches new players the basics, The Do's and Do-Nots. And I will make this new system multi-compatible so It can be used in pretty much any mod.

Is it me or you're comparing your project with SI B:?
  • Is it me or you're comparing your project with SI B:?

Well on the basis that it is an add on, Yes. But this project does something different, so no.
  • I've already made a construction tutorial.... it starts off with the basics and works the way up to merging... :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEU59SRhB28&feature=channel_page

Though, it would be nice to have tutorial videos In-Game on how to do certain things like in garrys mod.

Thanks to Cornucopia for that, here is the direct link to the Basic Construction Tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEU59SRhB28

That's great, I've been wanting to do this for a while but haven't had the time or much coding knowledge. Having an in-game tutorial would be a nice addition (more complicated than what I was thinking of: making more of a step by step thread with photo's).

Cornucopia's Post with link to YouTube does sum up what I wanted for the tutorial.

It'd be a plus, if a basic tutorial would be integrated into the existing mods or maybe available as a separate package, and available for download. But i'd wait to see what the options are when the alternate server patch comes out. Glad I got the ball rolling a bit.
  • You will make a lot of people very happy!
  • Well, if you guys are up for it, I could remake the tutorials in clips for the in-game modification (if you can add videos that is) if any of you are interested, and bring higher and a bigger resolution to them this time.
  • Voice would be a good addition as well, people respond better when they can read and hear the directions.
  • odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
    nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Catullus is good.
  • odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
    nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

Catullus is good.

Nice words, are they italian? Looks more like latin, what's the translation?

P.S. Happy Holidays Everyone...!
    do you see nukem speaking hebrew around here?!
    I can sing a song in hebrew!!! Shalom Chavermine!!
  • I can do offline tutorials... if it is ok with Phantom.
    You don't HAVE to be online to do a tutorial.
    Oh, if you want it an offline version, I need to know... command prompt or Application?
    I can do it either way IF you want an offline one. It won't take my time.
    It only takes.... 2 minutes, at most!
  • Phantom, i love the enthusiasm, but man, you gotta stop writing text. It looks very childish.
  • in my opinion, there should be a server for noobs and a server for Deflun.
  • in my opinion, there should be a server for noobs and a server for Deflun.

There is a server for Deflun.
    It's called "Deflun's Friendly RPG"

And Sythe, I used to know that song, in fact I loved it, I whistled it day and night.. until one day I took a shortcut through the palestine neighborhood.......

I still sleep with a knife under my pillow..
  • ''i still sleep with a knife under my pillow''

is Judas on your case? :¿