Crash attempt stories from Construction servers.

I just wanted to make a thread to hear and share about people attempting to crash servers and often failing. I loved to ban people from my server back then and so when someone tried messing with my server, I'd figure out who it was.

To start off with the less exciting stories... I always hosted a dedicated server, so as you know, I'd be able to see everything that a player is saying from the dedicated server window. I don't remember how many times this happened, but I'd sometimes catch players using the Projectile Turret pack. So I'd watch them carefully and sometimes catch them typing in commands to fire hundreds of nukes in a short time. It was funny when I'd ask them why their making a Projectile Turret to fire so many nukes. They wouldn't know what to say, and they'd be banned.

These last two stories I remember pretty well, along with the names of the attackers. At one point in my server, frame lag jumped very high. I knew someone was doing something to crash my server. I eventually found out a wall of generators was made and there was a switch to turn them on and off continuously. It was slow to finally get to the Construction Tool's setting and read the ID of the player's pieces. I found that it was a player named uphu. I banned him and removed his pieces.

Quantium allowed the ability to place the Projectile Turret settings into a Shrike, I haven't tested this in my ECM server yet. One day, Sky_Daniel and stealth-kid joined my server. Without me noticing, they both got Shrikes and loaded their projectiles with the Planetary Nuke (the one that targets and sends a nuke from the sky after 60 seconds or so). Since I noticed at the last second, I think I may have gotten over 100 nuke targets all over Flatland. Being how I am, I got the names of the Shrike pilots and banned them. I didn't know how to deal with the targeted nukes, but I got the idea to switch the map to Flatland again right as they were about to fire. I did this and when the new map loaded, only a few nukes actually hit the ground and my server survived. I know this is kinda a server reset, but I believed I saved everyone's pieces if they had any. My bans were not permanent, so any time either of these two joined my server, I'd simply ban them again.

Comments

• lol where do I begin? :)

In Quantium 2.8, there was a bug with switches, if you did a certain thing, it crashed the server. I would threaten the host to give me SA or the server died, they usually kicked, then I rejoined and crashed the server.

Another time I put nukes on the shrike and fired like 600 of them and crashed the server that way.

Good times. :) There was a lot of other things I did, but I don't remember them all. :(
  • I crashed... a shrike... into another person... and that person died...
    I crashed some vehicle, probably a Shrike, into a person I thought was simply AFK. This happened: http://bierwiser.uberlisted.net/Tribes.2/Quicksand.png ...I didn't know what was going on until they were dropped from the server. Their connection must have dropped or something.

Edit:
    Ahah! :lol:
    I guess I'm a little slow. I just realized what you did Fast_Fire.
    Ahah! :lol:
  • Hackers are not cool. :mad:
    Was it perhaps Zeph? lol :p
  • Hackers are not cool. :mad:
    Was it perhaps Zeph? lol :p
    I don't think anyone's mentioned any hacking in this thread.
  • I don't think anyone's mentioned any hacking in this thread.
    Or did they? / '_' \
  • In the same quantium that Nukem is talking about, you could rig a shrike to fire thousands of planetary cannons and clog the server to oblivion.

Oh, silly me, you already pointed that out, well, you could also launch Arrow IV's :P

Also, if you made several Cprojs that fired Bombs, the server would eventually crash too.
  • Just last night, Me, Rysterf and a few other guys were haveing a shrike battle in Rysterfs' big city, when Ukillme set off something like 200 emitters set to large bubble.

Not sure if it was exactly a crash attempt, but it shure did lag the server for 2 mins or so before the admin removed his pieces. :lol:
    • screen35.png
    • screen41.png
    • screen39.png
  • some hacker somehow planted a keylogger on my machine, luckily it wasnt so bad.. kthxbai.
  • Old one, but a good one:
    2004/12/17 9:22.44 pm Oath: ok jet
    2004/12/17 9:22.49 pm Oath: ok jet
    2004/12/17 9:23.18 pm Sun Queer: ......
    2004/12/17 9:23.25 pm Sun Queer: ......
    2004/12/17 9:23.34 pm Oath: fudge pop
    2004/12/17 9:23.36 pm Sun Queer: ......?
    2004/12/17 9:23.43 pm Sun Queer: Can I get some of those animal cookies, those frosted ones with the sprinkles on 'em?~wKsp314_cookies
    2004/12/17 9:23.49 pm Oath: aw shiot
    2004/12/17 9:23.49 pm Sun Queer: ...
    2004/12/17 9:23.51 pm Sun Queer: why not work
    2004/12/17 9:23.53 pm Oath: we cant do it
    2004/12/17 9:24.3 pm Sun Queer: bs
    2004/12/17 9:24.4 pm Sun Queer: twatch me
    2004/12/17 9:24.8 pm Oath: rofl
    2004/12/17 9:24.10 pm Oath: lmfao
    2004/12/17 9:24.28 pm Oath: bow before lord sun queer
    2004/12/17 9:24.51 pm Sun Queer: ah crap
    2004/12/17 9:24.55 pm Sun Queer: then ill make a better one
    2004/12/17 9:24.57 pm Oath: he has it patched
    2004/12/17 9:25.14 pm Oath: fuck it
    2004/12/17 9:25.20 pm Sun Queer: i got it
    2004/12/17 9:25.20 pm Oath: we have plenty to choose from
    2004/12/17 9:25.31 pm Sun Queer: ill swap it between team 0 and 1 then
    2004/12/17 9:26.59 pm Oath: df
    2004/12/17 9:27.20 pm Oath:
    Holy Shit!
    ~wKfeedback.voc_holyshit
    2004/12/17 9:28.20 pm Sun Queer: hang on
    2004/12/17 9:28.22 pm Sun Queer: i need to go into notepad
    2004/12/17 9:28.26 pm Sun Queer: cant do it in console
    2004/12/17 9:29.56 pm Oath:
    Holy Shit!
    ~wKfeedback.voc_holyshit
    2004/12/17 9:30.18 pm Sun Queer: k lets test this then
    2004/12/17 9:30.32 pm Oath: about time
    2004/12/17 9:30.36 pm Sun Queer: time to CRASH
    2004/12/17 9:30.51 pm Sun Queer: ....
    2004/12/17 9:31.3 pm Oath: screw it we have plenty to choose from
    2004/12/17 9:31.5 pm Sun Queer: can a global $ value be an integer
    2004/12/17 9:31.19 pm Sun Queer: brb
    2004/12/17 9:34.12 pm Sun Queer: ahhh theres somthing im doing wrong but i dont know what it is
    2004/12/17 9:34.30 pm Oath: screw it we have plenty to choose from
    2004/12/17 9:34.33 pm Sun Queer: k
    2004/12/17 9:34.36 pm Sun Queer: maybe he has a fix

These clowns attempted to spam team changes to spawn a bunch of corpse objects. It was obviously unsuccessful, since ECM has been hardened against any sort of attack of that form for ages.
  • Old one, but a good one:
    Oh I remember that idiot, Jet. Apparently he just took Quantium and called it his own? I think he also tried renaming it Jetanium or something. And of course, he went into servers with the name Sun Queer and other names, as shown. He didn't get too far...
  • I'm pretty sure I'm the main reason why ACCM has zombie limits. One time on Nukem's server, I was bored... so, I spawned 2,000 zombies. :) .1 FPS is fucking slow, tell yo uwhat.
  • hehe i used to remember placing loads of advanced points where people where farming zombies in a cage for exp, and i set em off and they got slaughtered. lolz
  • Hey, I am Stealth-kid.

I searched "Stealth-kid" into google today and this thread came up! lol, I remember those days. Quantium was cool.

I'm 19 now, and I know that crashing servers was dumb, sorry.. but you know how 12 - 14 year olds are. :P Good times..
  • Necro post that's fairly on topic...

that's rare
  • I would spawn rapiers around farmers, and they'd be all WTF. With ZK, they never knew who it was. xD
  • I once spawned 150 bots to see how long the server would last... That was the most laggy 5 minutes of my T2 life...
  • Mine would be when I spawned those 2k zombies on your server. Took me half an hour to kill them all. :)
  • I never attempt to crash a server, but loading up my Pirate Ship on BC usually lags it to hell enough to freak people out.
  • Hi guys. I remember when electrocutioner used some program he called 'relentless' on me. I then used ping.exe on his FTP server and he made a big thread about how I somehow hacked his computer and stole his program. Yes, this actually happened.

By the way, you're all still dumb and this community is still horrid after 5 years.
  • Our aim is to please :P
  • Hi guys. I remember when electrocutioner used some program he called 'relentless' on me. I then used ping.exe on his FTP server and he made a big thread about how I somehow hacked his computer and stole his program. Yes, this actually happened.

By the way, you're all still dumb and this community is still horrid after 5 years.
    Ah, JetBoom. Still getting banned from Gmod, I see.
  • Yeah I'm getting banned from an entire game. Good one, retard.
  • I feel sorry for you if you're not wise enough to figure out what I'm saying.
  • In that case no, I'm not getting banned from any servers in Gmod.
  • This is good.

So, what has brought you back to this small community which you've forgotten for a while?
  • Well I googled Tribes 2 construction to see what happened to it. Looks like all of the people who played it 24/7 back then are still playing it 24/7 and there are about 50 different versions and every server is ran by terrible admins. Looks like nothing has changed.
  • You thought wrong. It's not so bad. Lot of irritating noob-ish kids though.