SI (Structural Infinity) Help/Info

About every day that I've been on T2 and building, many people often have problems with SI...or THINK they have problems. For those of you still new to Structural Infinity, here's the basic gist of what it is, how you get it, and what you're supposed to do with it.

What It Is
SI is a script that virtually eliminates the visual limit when constructing. Originally, only 1024 objects (not pieces...objects include vehicles, players, etc.) could be rendered. With SI, up to 20,000 objects can exist before encountering any real problems. (1-degree walkway spheres pass up 20k objects, so please don't even attempt them. You'll end up working at less than 1fps, and then lagging out before you even come close to completion).

How It Works
Since the objects are all indexed, if you have over the visible limit of objects loaded, it will only load the actual clientside version of the deployable in that range. Once a deployable in that range is removed, it will use the available object on the next item in the index, and so on, and so on. What you'll see when it is outside of that range is[...]a completely virtual object made on the client end to match up with the position, rotation, and scale of a serverside object... only without animation, targets, and etc.

How You Get It
http://www.the-construct.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436
Follow the instruction. Also, when you download it, you need to actually open up the Installer...you can't just place it in Autoexec. You put the program in there, but not the Installer...easy enough, right? ...Hopefully.

What To Do
Celebrate! You now have the ability to see much more than originally thought possible. Also, because you installed SI correctly, you seem just a bit smarter. So build on, don't hesitate to load buildings, and don't freak out if the piece-count climbs towards quadruple-digits. S'all good!

KNOWN ISSUES
We're already aware of these...I'm just making sure YOU are. So you're not as surprised as most people when the V-Pad suddenly disappears!

-Often when joining a server, you might notice the little "Slack Space Error" message. Do not freak out. Slack space is used to render players and vehicles. It's not polished out yet, but be assured, it'll work eventually.

-When over the usual Vis-Limit, some vehicles and players will be invisible to you. This is a Slack Space issue...there aren't any ghosts, and no one is hacking. If you run into an invisible player, you might get jostled or blocked, but it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes you can be seen, but you can't see others. It happens.

-Very rarely, some pieces won't appear. You'll be walking and suddenly stop (Hammer Time!), blocked by an invisible force. If it never moves and is bigger than a player/vehicle, it's a piece. Go observer...turn away...ctrl-k...sometimes it will reappear, sometimes it won't.

-Cloaking...after pieces go above the normal limit, cloaking won't be displayed. You can still /cloak a piece, but you won't see a change, so it's best to wait for the pieces to die down before you use /cloak. If you're impatient, then go ahead and /cloak what you want, but if you're forgetful, you won't be sure whether or not the targeted piece is already invisible. Like I said, it's best to wait.

-Targeting Lasers won't appear after passing the normal limit. It's a slack-space thing. Not that significant.

-When respawning/joining a server, it may take a while for your player to actually appear on the map. Just be patient, you'll get there eventually.

-Switches may lose the icons on the panels. Also, when activated, it may not show the "ON" rotation, and you won't hear the Solar Panel being powered up/down. The frequencies are still being flipped, but you won't see any animation. Also, switches that should be accessible by everyone sometimes act like Owner-Only switches (In Metallic).

-Projectiles will become invisible once pieces go over the usual limit. Bullets, lasers, etc. Even thrown Packs or Weapons will not be seen.

-As pointed out by phoenix2008, emitters will cease to function once we pass normal limits.

-Animation for generators or solar panels will not be visible. Rest assured, even if the lights are dark and you hear nothing, everything is fully functioning..

-When merging, some pieces may "flash" and others will not. This is part of the cloaking issue. If an object was set down before we hit visual limit, everything will animate/cloak/flash/etc. If it's not, it won't, but it will still merge. If you're having trouble figuring out if a piece is fully merged, Isometrically Rotate it and see if the whole target piece changes. If not, merge it together.

Still taking suggestions! Have a problem? Post it here!

Comments

• This should be stickied :P
  • Also, you need to have an updated copy of TribesNext (RC2 or higher.) Just download the TN installer again, and run it.
  • That should get some of the SI issues we've been having lately solved.
  • Only 3 views...it's SI assistance, and 3 views?

Wow people, do you want to learn?
  • Only 3 views...it's SI assistance, and 3 views?

Wow people, do you want to learn?
    I wanna learn :D needs to be stickied :|
  • Stuck.

For about half a second the thread ID in the address bar looked to be 1024, which I was going to say was particularly fitting for the thread, but then I realized it was in fact 1204. On the other hand, I suppose the actual 1024 thread isn't so bad in its own right.
  • Maybe we could convince people they're dyslexic.
  • Stuck.

For about half a second the thread ID in the address bar looked to be 1024, which I was going to say was particularly fitting for the thread, but then I realized it was in fact 1204. On the other hand, I suppose the actual 1024 thread isn't so bad in its own right.
    Thread 1024 is annoying and pointless :P
  • Lets try and tell people that through a ringtone or a rap as most people enjoy today.
  • If anyone has any problems other than those listed on this thread, please bring them to my attention. I'll try to post solutions (or say that I have no clue) to any issues you may have.
  • this is great mez. only think i can think of is emitters won't work over viz limit with Slack Space issues.
  • Hello,
    I have been wrestling with SI and tribes all night.. and it really doesn't help having limited knowledge on what I am doing.

Consider me the designer.. not the technician :P

I am working on a 3D maze for my friends and myself to enjoy at LANs and I rudely came across the 1024 object limit...

I have Tribes 2 installed
    I have the "Next" patch
    I have constructor installed
    and I downloaded the recent version of SI and double clicked it to run the installer.. and it worked..

I have loaded into tribes and gotten the SI interface message that says the slack space limit failed. ( haven't seen that message in awhile)
    However, when I load the building, it still stops at 1024 and the rest is invisible.. ( i can run into it, but the objects are invisible and I cannot see where I am placing objects when I try to continue working..)

Thus, I have questions as to what went wrong.. Should I blame Vista? Was I not supposed to save my 3D object as a .cs by typing || savebuilding(clientid,radius,"filename.cs"); ||

any help would be greatly appreciated..

I also tried Linker's tribes2_server thing. but when i hosted a server in Construction offline or online, it would tell me it was going to close tribes2 to run tribes2_server.
    I let it but it went through updating the SI file ( after a bunch of other updates and the occasional error for banlists and some pillar graphics..)

Please help me out :D
    I am totally confused now... and slightly sleep deprived from reading all through the forums ( only understanding 75% of it) and trying stuff out myself..

Thank you
  • Well, you wont need linker's executables to use SI. The TN patch works for SI.

You should make sure your copy of TN is up to date, since older versions don't support SI. RC2 or newer should work.

Also, are you hosting dedicated or non-dedicated when you build? Non-dedicated servers cant use SI, so that could the the problem, though it would usually UE before you spawn.

If none of that helps you, I could come to your server and help you troubleshoot it.
  • "In game Help Box"

Would that Work? like a Little "HELP" Tab, With Veh. Help and Gun Help.
  • I am using a non dedicated.
    It requires dedicated eh? I will inform the head of the server I use.
    Thank you.
  • Mez, I am running ECM .80 Beta Offline as a Dedicated server. Among other small things I have found work arounds for, I think I am having an issue with SI. Although it seems to work on other servers over the 1024 limit, with me hosting the server and running SI as -nologin it does not let me even build to the 1024 limit, they rez limit bounds at mid 900's. I have no idea what the issue could be.

Any help is appreciated,

Jezbus

UPDATE:

Some more information, before my server start the countdown it does the following:

Missing File: StructInf/server.cs!

Though, the file is there.
  • Well this is SuperCon! And on my old computer... well... it completely reset so now I'm getting T2 all over again. I can't get the servers on my comp yet. I also can't get on SuperCon from this laptop. Is that possible or do I have to start from scratch? I am glad I got the SI instructions but I need the stuff before that. And ZD- I love the MPB idea :D so someone make one, and make it fly by pressing deploy too >.< lol :)
    But anyways, I'd just like to know how to get the instructions on getting the servers up again so I can build again. If I can't get SuperCon back I'll be on Valkrye instead... on the server Construction BC. My fav. So plz help :)
  • http://tinyurl.com/noservers Get it working! The TC servers went down today for a bit, dunno what was up but Krash wasn't on IRC either so they will probably be back up soon. I was actually going to try and possibly create something today. Finals are done with :)
  • So I click on the Tribes 2 Online and then this comes up. -> Unable to connect to update control servers. Please check your internet connection. Server list: tribes2.west.won.net:15104 , tribes2.east.won.net:15104 , tribes2.central.won.net:15104 . Does that mean I go to the site thing it's talking about? Because I don't remember ever running into an installation so complicated. i'm not sure how it works.
  • The BC server was down for a bit today due to a power outage from a storm, but should be fine now barring any falling trees or an asteroid or pelicans disrupting the service.

You're going to need to install the TribesNext patch in order to play (instructions are on the page), and then use the SI installer to get SI running. As long as you're not running all sorts of horrid antivirus software firewall marmalade toaster ovens it should go off without a hitch.
  • The BC server was down for a bit today due to a power outage from a storm, but should be fine now barring any falling trees or an asteroid or pelicans disrupting the service.

There was a power outage?

EDIT: Hai Supa.
  • Yep, a tree or something on the lines. From around 16:40 to just before 22:00, but only a small area near the spit was affected.

Though there is another outage from Shirley to Renfrew that I don't think was fixed yet if you want to grab some candles and go out...
  • Yep, a tree or something on the lines. From around 16:40 to just before 22:00, but only a small area near the spit was affected.

Though there is another outage from Shirley to Renfrew that I don't think was fixed yet if you want to grab some candles and go out...

haha I'll probably hear about it tomorrow at school.
  • Well I got everything to work by reading the post by Krash helping someone on TribesNext forums lawl. Same problem I was having. lol. It took me awhile but I got it now. And now I think I still haven't got the SI. Unless the download on TribesNext already solved that. I'm seeing pieces when I build but who knows when there's more pieces on the server... and yes I got SuperCon back to this comp.
  • Well. I'll be on after school. around 3:00-3:50. I might watch The Hobbit today, I heard it was great- two of my friends watched it twice :P ... I'll be on 'til 7:55 this morning. I'M SO HAPPY I GOT T2 ON MY LAPTOP! IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE! This means someday UltraCon, MegaCon, and I can play at the same time! Also... My oldest brother just got married... but I'm happy for him! The wedding was great! :D we'll... I gotta make some breakfast. I'll be on in a sec for awhile.
  • Good. SI took like half a second to download... lol...