SI conflicts in servers.

More and more I have noticed the fights about SI inside of the-construct servers. In fact, the other day when I loaded my house (the vote was passed 100%) people started complaining that they could not see there pieces. I told them about SI, and that I would delete my pieces when it was uploaded (to the-construct).

Needless to say, that was not enough. People were yelling at me, telling me to leave, telling the admins that I should be kicked, etc.

Solution? I think there should be a server where SI is required. The rest of the servers it should still be optional.

If there was one server where it was required then nobody could whine and complain about not having it and eventually the idea will catch on. There would be one server where you could build to your hearts content and people can't really yell at you for it.

Technically you only need one SI required server since you can put so many pieces in it. And for the people that don't get/understand SI, there will still be a couple other servers for them.

Comments

• Yes, I was there when it happend, but the situation was a little odd.
    There was an admin there at the time, but Ment and Dead where afkish and had no idea of what was happening. If vazo was there, I would feel sorry for whoever complained.
    They are young to the solcial ways of the elderly, and they don't listen, they are ignorant, they just want the fastest easiest solution. The only thing that can calm them is an admin/sa that will take it apone themselfs to put someone in there place, someone who has the 'pressence of an admin.' Like vazo and krash :)
  • Well, the lack of ghost slack space creation is a bit of a problem. Once that's sorted, I think the situation will improve.

I put a lot of work into making SI minimally disruptive to players without it, but if there's a problem of user ignorance, perhaps some additional... nudging might be necessary. Perhaps when the slack space is exhausted, a persistent center-print could be shown on the display of every user that doesn't have SI installed, with a link to get it.
  • Or could SI simply be included with the next release?
  • Remember, TribesNext is not all about Con mod.

Thats true, and it would also add in more potential errors and bloops that some players are already getting.

We could put together a ConMod essentials package, SI, Flatland, ConMod binds, Clientside saving that i think i'm gunna pick back up.

Yeah, a good point. SI would be great for C&C mod. but you need to fix the name tag issue in it first. In C&C mod, when SI is on objects don't get name tags, which could be a little problematic.
  • Yeah, a good point. SI would be great for C&C mod. but you need to fix the name tag issue in it first. In C&C mod, when SI is on objects don't get name tags, which could be a little problematic.

When ever does C&C go over 1.2k pieces?
  • When ever does C&C go over 1.2k pieces?

I think it was mentioned somewhere that people could build larger buildings for the contest when SI came back.

It does not yet, but it eventually may.

agreed, and as alviss said we could put a con essntials package in, hopefully that can be downloaded along side the next tnxt patch (optional of course) that hopefully then gives best of both worlds, less errors in one side, and near next to no more in the con side, SI wise of course :D .
    When ever does C&C go over 1.2k pieces?

the deploy limitations go roughly upto 1000+ pieces if memory serves correct, but since thats near next to impossible without god like co-ordination, its not something to worry about any time soon.
  • The object limit is 1024 pieces, while the piece limit usually kicks in around 995 pieces.
  • Or could SI simply be included with the next release?

For the next release why don't there just be included program that when you join the server all the files required would be uploaded, or something along those lines, might be problematic for previously made mods, but it would be usefull.

Maybe there could be an auto update system when you log onto tribesnext, so it doesn't have to be the next release. I heared a phrase from Thyth once, "Okay, its done, now to make in to where the average idiot can install it." or something along those lines.
  • I like the idea of an SI-required server, but I think there should be more than one. People will be people; they'll find SOME way to complain...so it would be nice to have a choice.

Also, about that center-print message...people usually don't read it at the beginning (I find a lot of players are saying something about "Error" in the SI message, not bothering to read it's just a Slack Space issue). Perhaps flash it every 10 minutes or so?
  • It should add a message to the chat box. It's easier to read it there.
  • I agree, center print, chat box, and also when you load buildings and start load votes it should tell you about SI. Also, an SI server =)
  • Centerprint on metallic just gets covered over with the "seven years and still building" message
  • Yeah...lol
  • Yes if it was in the next release. The newbies could spam and no one would care because they and every one has SI.
  • Yes if it was in the next release. The newbies could spam and no one would care because they and every one has SI.

Or not.
  • well,That is if they dont spam on are building's or some players call them are masterpieces.
    :)
    • wow.png
    wow.png 73.2K
    SI will never be included with the patch because construction isint the only part of Tribes 2...
  • isint

Grammar fail...
  • So, Nukem is an English teacher now?