Inviting People to The Construct

No.

I've been hearing rumours that Foo is offering to invite people to The Construct. Rubbish.

Here is what I think. The Construct used to be just dev and then some odd members who were around since before it was even a public thing. Odds and ends, bits and pieces. It was good that way. It was exclusive, no one gets in but the people that really need to be in there because of some reason or another. Then sometime later, this may have been a year or more ago (I don't remember), Construct took off a bunch of the old people and invited some of the others who had contributed to the mod or and/or had been around since very early versions. I was lucky enough to be one of these people. Then some other people started leaking in who hadn't even been around or heard of way back when our central hub was tribes2.org. There were some of the tribes3.org people getting in, which wasn't that bad, because most had been well respected members of the community, even if it was a little later. They had reputations for people responsible people who helped newbs rather than banned them, who built well, who everyone liked, and who may or may not have contributed to the shaping of the mod in some way or another. Then there were some people who got in out of who knows where. Now Foocumber and maybe other people are offering invites to just anyone who's been playing Construction mod recently? Bad form. I don't say this to offend anyone who's new or somewhat new (year or two) to Construction, I don't have anything against you, I just don't feel you belong in the tribe that is the symbol of the glory days of the mod.

If this is how it's going to be, I guess all integrity is lost of the last of the great tribes which was already crumbling anyways. If we're going to be inviting members, I feel there needs to be some sort of council of the oldest and and most influential players who are still around to decide who gets in and who gets out.

Maybe I sound like a grandpa complaining about youth these days, but I really don't think things should be going this way. Maybe I'll just start a tribe for the oldies or something.

Comments

• If that's how you feel: act. I'm not just letting anyone and everyone in, I'm only letting in the people that are actually dedicated to the idea of building something. Each and every person that wants in so far is going to have to prove their dedication in some way or another. What I am doing right now is very simple, give them a complex idea to build, something that takes even the best of builders an hour or more, and see if they stick to it, if they don't just bullshit it and put their best effort forward. What says that a player who is willing to put all of their ability into one thing, even if it takes 3 to 4 hours to do so, shouldn't be allowed in the premiere construction clan? They've proven their worth so long as it's not spammy junk.

Seriously though, if you want a council of who get's in, organize a list of active veterans to oversee the whole process. Considering I'm a fairly old member of the community, it shouldn't be that big of a deal that I'm deciding. I know I've never had the greatest reputation, and my word will never count as anything in this community, but I do not invite anyone who has just been playing it recently unless they have the ability and dedication. If it remains to be a huge deal here, and we have an outburst of people disagreeing with additions to The Construct clan, two things should be done: They should make note of their opinion here, and they should tell construct off for allowing me the position to do this. I went to Construct awhile back to ask permission to bring new people into the clan, and I was granted it. Just a reminder, I am the only one inviting anyone, people can suggest an invite, but the invite will not be granted until someone can prove to be dedicated.
  • This has been disputed elsewhere. Members of the forum, have at the table scraps.

I guess I'll sum up my argument for the sake of discussion.

I feel that:
    • The Construct is for original members, as in, members who have been there since the beginning. These members have contributed in some way or another to the shaping of the mod through their actions, ideas, or attitudes. I define that as a developer of the mod. This tribe is for official "developers" only.
    • People that have continued development of the mod after official development has stopped are not included. Not to say what you have done isn't important, just that it doesn't tie in with official development
    • There's nothing wrong with new players, they just don't fit into the peer group that is the veterans of the mod.

My suggestion is that you make a new tribe for the new developers of the mod. This tribe could rock. Just saying.

If worst comes to worst I guess we'll have to end up breaking from The Construct and starting something new for oldies which would be less than ideal.
  • While I see and understand your first point, I can't agree with or understand the second or third points.
    • In the second point: When was it ever decided or stated unanimously in The Construct that it should be limited to the development of the "official mod". The official mod was not developed by every single person on that list, and if so who can make a list of the full credits to the mod? On top of that, what about .70? Electricutioner deserves a right into the clan now too because he was a developer of .70, which was an official release of the mod. How about the other people that contributed to blackfyre ideas and other nonsense to make .70 a better release?
    • In the final point: What is defined as a veteran, and who decides what a veteran is? In the literal definition, a veteran is anyone who has had long service to an occupation or the likes. How is it that excludes qualifying Mech_, Xencor, and WarlordX as veterans of the mod?
    • And to add a point of my own, Construct owns the clan. It was his decision to continue inviting people into the clan based on what we're doing for the mod now. We may not be part of the original "team", but we were invited in regardless of how you feel about the clan. Construct not only continued to invite people in himself, but he also gave exclusive permission to invite people into The Construct by granting me rank 2 after I asked him if I could continue the clans lifespan. In it I have granted 3 people access to the clan, and all of them deserve to be there in my opinion. Consider that Construct gave me the permission to make invitations for people to join the mod, that means he gave me the choice to invite anyone I want. Just because I have that power though, doesn't mean I am going to invite everyone. I'm going to invite the people that deserve to be in it now, in this timespan of Construction mod's life. Official or not

A new clan could rock, but a new clan doesn't stand for anything. Some people have been around for 4 years or more and still don't get accredited with being veterans, that's nonsense. This clan stands for Construction, and if people being dedicated to building in this mod aren't considered for a clan of this magnitude, maybe it's reputation should be ruined and replaced by a reputation of positive image and moral.
    Yet even with my saying that, I could never actually do that to the clan. I still respect what it means to be in The Construct, and will continue to keep it's old reputation, but I'm not basing it's reputation off of what I've seen from you. I'll base it off of Construct.
  • So just make a The Construct: Veterans ?

You guys sure do think alot about this topic. That's some serious dedication.
  • I feel as though the construct should definitely open up to new builders.. if it were all old builders and people from the beginning, there would be no one in the tribe.. every guild/group/clan/tribe/cult etc.. loses members and gains new ones.. as long as the ideals of the original members are the same then everything should be fine..
    Eehk, if you want to leave that is fine, but that wont be helping the guild any more then it is hurting it.. in my opinion, i think you are just being selfish and you want to be recognized for being a veteran.. If you really want to help out, stop talking about whats wrong with the tribe and start talking about how to make use of what we have.. after all its not just about the construct tribe.. its about all of the construction mod community.. we should be talking about keeping the whole community together.. maybe having fun building events.. putting up a great new gallery with the buildings from the people who are in the construct.. this leads me to say that i feel like being a good builder should be a quality that one has in order to be in the construct tribe. i say this because as the premier construction tribe, we should set an example for new builders.. and give them inspiring builds to get ideas from and all that.. what you guys are talking about is a bunch of bullshit to me.. lets just have fun with it and do what we can to keep it going..
  • The main argument I see here is that you want to invite dedicated players into The Construct so the community can function together and stay alive. However, I really don't see tribe membership a hinging point on whether the community will thrive or not - Specifically this one tribe. Why does it have to be this tribe, and why does having one centralized tribe mean that the community will thrive?

Let's look at history for a second. The Construct, from the very beginning was not one centralized tribe. In fact, no one who played Construction for the most part was in the tribe, aside from the dev team and close friends. However, little clans here and there started popping up with the main purpose of hosting Construction players. There wasn't one, no not by any means was there one tribe to keep everyone together. We had tons. E2K, which turned into TPC later. CBs (Sea Bees) was big and respected. Brak's Apprentices was much a very prestigious tribe to be in. That's not even a fraction of the many different tribes we were split up into. That didn't change with time either, we've always had many different tribes to represent the Construction community. Only as players started dropping off at the end of development did tribes start disappearing.

Looking at this, I don't see how your point is valid at all that inviting dedicated people to the clan would keep with the tradition of Construction and strengthen the community. Competition was the key back then, and I believe it still is.

I'd also like to give you a little taste of where we're coming from. If you don't read anything else I have to say, read this.

Just kind of picture this. A very lowly mod, with maybe a dozen or few dozen players. There's not many features at all. There's like 5 different sizes of support beam - 1.5, 8, 60, 180, pad. The only thing the construction tool does is deconstruct, cascading style or regular. It's not even called a construction tool. Floors are only one size. Walkways don't snap to eachother. There aren't any floating MPBs or fast shrikes. There are no construction maps - Katabatic, Firestorm, and Slapdash are a builder's best friend. Then, things start picking up. New people start joining in with this "Construction" they see on their server lists as they're scrolling through. Then, new versions start coming out. All of a sudden, the Construction tool can rotate things, beams will automatically adjust their size to your liking, your jetpack doesn't run out anymore, and then we start deploying forcefields. Then even newer stuff starts happening. Maps made just for building on, a mod is made for this mod, and the MPB turns into a nuke launcher. We've made friends, best friends, enemies, rivals. These are the people that some of us grew up with. This is the game that we grew up with. We watch the game turn from random sticks poking out of the ground - nothing, to elaborate houses, bases, spacecraft, and anything imaginable - a masterpiece. As our relationships grew, so did the mod we started making these on grow. The community grew tight, and even though it were online, you felt like you've known these guys forever. Still, now almost 6 years later some of these guys you've known since you were 12 are still around and you keep in contact. Some of us have even met in real life. All because of this mod we've watched grow from the very beginning.

That, friends, is one of the greatest things you can experience in gaming and I hope you get to experience one day. I can honestly say I doubt I'll even enjoy any game -- no matter how advanced or ground-breaking -- ever as much as I've loved this one.

This is why I want to keep this tribe for the original crew. Not for recognition from new players, not for fame, not for respect. I want to keep this tribe for all of those to remember the same things I do. For when years later, they stop by the game, they'll see all their old buddies in the glorious tribe that they'd seen the devs wear during the formation of their greatest game experience as well. And that, I feel, should not be tampered with.

I also feel that it's already too late to save it and most of the great players were never around much longer after the final version to get into the tribe. That's why I'm just going to leave and let you guys have your fun. There's no way to fix it now and the best thing I can do is try to build something new with the integrity of the old with a council of those still around to greet those who come back to see what their beloved mod is like now. Good run The Construct, I'll miss it.
  • If you don't want any new players at all in the clan we can change recruiting requirements. Yet, why not still allow some notable people into that clan? People that deserve to at least wear the tag as developers of the mod? One example is Insane Turkey. I'd be fine with disallowing the general community from joining the clan, but can we at least negotiate and work some people who deserve to be in it into the clan? I can bring up the name of any one fellow who I feel should be discussed or allowed into the clan, and I can remove the 1 new entry I allowed into the clan the other day that spawned all this. Can we at least meet in the middle there and still be happy with that?
  • Ahh, I remeber CB's (Construction Bots, my first clan I led in a game). Although I agree with some of the things that EEK brought up, about keeping the orginal clan small, this mod and T2 is muuuuch smaller than it was 4 yrs ago. to have a respectable clan in a ghost world is hard. z0r was made to roster those that made the mod grow in the past, present, and keep it going in the future. I still get asks wanting to join z0r. and I dont invite just anyone, just people that I can see wanting to learn the mod. I can probrabibly agree its one of the most 'veteran' Clans in the game, because just because you've been here since 01' dosent make you a benifical member of the community.

I see a veteran as a person that can still go in a server and build, instead of standing afk for the time, after 5-6 years.

My kudos for those people that can actually build and want to learn if theyre new. Those are the people that I want to proudly build along side, not the ones that worry about if they will get attention from people when they join a server.

Long live the z0r Builders!