Suggestion for Metallic

A public hover command. Please?

Comments

• Never had any plans to add one, never felt the need. Just today though, three different people not including yourself have asked for it.

Guess I'm just too old fashioned and will be strong-armed into throwing one in.
  • Learn to hover in your jetpack, it's not hard.
  • i always just deploy extra lsbs to stand on when i need support
  • Yeah, that works too if you're in a really tough spot. Part of Construction is learning techniques like these, adding a hover command would just water it down.
  • lol, your right, but i dont think most people dont think that way. and i actually think that it is kind of fun to have to fly around and build in the tight spots.
  • Have fun jetting and typing a command/message at the same time without a hover command. Maybe it isn't such an issue in Metallic where no deployables are configured using chat commands, and maybe it isn't such an issue with your building styles.

However, different people build differently, and denying them a very simple command, just because it differs from your vision of construction is pretty pointless.
  • 0_o just so you know, I actually have no official say in anything. Wasn't trying to put anyone down either... sorry
  • Elec seems to be coming off as somewhat hostile in his posts these days.

They're just voicing their opinion. We never ran into such a thing as we taught ourselves how to build, we learned to control our jet bursts or find something to stand on for extra stability. It's not that we would've rejected it if had been around, it's simply hard to see any necessity in something you've never once needed.

As far as denying anything, I don't think I'm exactly known to turn someone down if asked for something. The fact of the matter is that I simply haven't had the time or concentration to update more than a number of stability and security fixes on the mod this summer. Backlogged with work and personal matters...
    I plan to add a batch of changes to the servers sometime this week however, and will most likely throw the command in.
  • It isn't intended to be hostile, it is just an expression of my experience. I find it to be a rather challenging experience to hover in one place using a jet pack while typing out a message on the keyboard.

Additionally... I build a lot of machines in my own mod. Since logic packs and motion devices are configured using a chat command, and they are often densely packed in small boxes and inconvenient locations (where deploying an LSB to stand on isn't always practical), jetting up and down while trying to configure one often leads to disaster. We are all aware that the V12/Torque raycast calculations often lack accuracy; couple that with unexpected increases in latency, and you might send a command to the wrong deployable.

There are definitely types of buildings, and building techniques that don't rely on sardine packing of deployables in awkward places. I just don't see why adding a hover command that allows walking around on a "virtual" ground waters down the construction experience.

I think that the reason it is being asked so much these days is a direct result of the increased availability of ECM servers, and a few of the added features over the last few months. Players are pretty attracted to a few of the features, and are starting to incorporate commands like hovering into their building techniques.

Asking for these commands is part of a desire for experience uniformity in an additive sense. Not really all that different of a phenomenon compared to experience uniformity in a subtractive sense.

If you want to have a copy of my hover command, I can post the code. It is a very short function, by no means anything challenging to write.
  • I'm sure I can manage. You mounting the player on a stationary object or using another method?
  • Creating a pad below them which is scaled and moved to keep them on it.
  • Ah. Yeah, now that you mention it I seem to recall hearing about that a while back.
  • I plan to add a batch of changes to the servers sometime this week however, and will most likely throw the command in.

Thanks, man.

By the way, you don't necesserily need to type the command while hovering with jetpack. You can just type it while you're still standing on solid floor and keep the pre-typed command ready to press ENTER when you're at the place you want the hover command to kick in.

It isn't intended to be hostile, it is just an expression of my experience. I find it to be a rather challenging experience to hover in one place using a jet pack while typing out a message on the keyboard.

Additionally... I build a lot of machines in my own mod. Since logic packs and motion devices are configured using a chat command, and they are often densely packed in small boxes and inconvenient locations (where deploying an LSB to stand on isn't always practical), jetting up and down while trying to configure one often leads to disaster. We are all aware that the V12/Torque raycast calculations often lack accuracy; couple that with unexpected increases in latency, and you might send a command to the wrong deployable.

There are definitely types of buildings, and building techniques that don't rely on sardine packing of deployables in awkward places. I just don't see why adding a hover command that allows walking around on a "virtual" ground waters down the construction experience.

I think that the reason it is being asked so much these days is a direct result of the increased availability of ECM servers, and a few of the added features over the last few months. Players are pretty attracted to a few of the features, and are starting to incorporate commands like hovering into their building techniques.

Asking for these commands is part of a desire for experience uniformity in an additive sense. Not really all that different of a phenomenon compared to experience uniformity in a subtractive sense.

If you want to have a copy of my hover command, I can post the code. It is a very short function, by no means anything challenging to write.
    Well said, elec-man! :clap:

I'm sure I can manage. You mounting the player on a stationary object or using another method?
    In Quantium there's also a hover command, but a more simple one than the one in ECM; this one just deploys an invisible 50 cm lsb below the player's feet.
  • By the way, you don't necesserily need to type the command while hovering with jetpack. You can just type it while you're still standing on solid floor and keep the pre-typed command ready to press ENTER when you're at the place you want the hover command to kick in.

That's what I do if I need to use a command on a peice and don't feel like putting an lsb under me.
  • same here, but if you are building like elec said, then i guess that would be pretty challenging.