Dust 514

Pulling an Eehk here, but enjoy:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-dust-514/57569?type=flv

Yes, that's the FPS version of EVE Online.

Comments

• One of these video game companies needs to make a full length movie like this.

Anyways, looks awesome. Can't wait to see some gameplay footage.
  • I like the motif and all, just looks like a normally over-cinematic console shooter promo.
  • Well the game is actually a MMORPG (MMOFPS?) for consoles that interacts with EVE. And since EVE's sovereignty system is going to be based around DUST, they're going to need alot of hype.
  • Cinematic gameplay would be nice instead of just making a promo that's under a minute long that makes you think it's that great as far as looks go.
  • I think Cinematics are more like for getting you into the idea rather than showing you what the game looks like.

Now, trailers, well, those are completely different things!
  • Cinematic gameplay would be nice instead of just making a promo that's under a minute long that makes you think it's that great as far as looks go.

Well... The whole thing was gameplay. Except the first 5 seconds where you see the ships fly by. Here's some early build demos:

• Well... The whole thing was gameplay. Except the first 5 seconds where you see the ships fly by.
    Well, yeah, I'm sure that was in-game, but it was all a setpeice, y'know. The things that went on were all scripted or choreographed so much so that it could have passed for a cutscene.

I'll watch those demos later.

This is going to be console-exclusive, though, right? Not really relevant to my interests.
  • Watched the demos

Actually looks promising
  • Well, yeah, I'm sure that was in-game, but it was all a setpeice, y'know. The things that went on were all scripted or choreographed so much so that it could have passed for a cutscene.

I'll watch those demos later.

This is going to be console-exclusive, though, right? Not really relevant to my interests.

I'm aware that they were scripted animations, it was a teaser trailer... So of course it would be cinematic...

Why do you seem to be getting so defensive over it? It's a teaser trailer... So what if it's cinematic?
  • Why do you seem to be getting so defensive over it?

:lol:
  • I dunno, I guess I'm just kinda sick of this trend.

Okay so I watched that fan footage. The game looks incredibly... average. However, what caught my eye was this on the description "Console gamers will play as Mercenaries in DUST 514, hired guns that conquer territories, cities, even entire planets for the EVE Online players who employ them." Now that actually seems like a cool concept - EVE online players buying a bunch of mercenaries to conquer stuff. I just don't understand why it's on consoles...
  • "Console gamers will play as Mercenaries in DUST 514, hired guns that conquer territories, cities, even entire planets for the EVE Online players who employ them."

Yup. That will be this mediocre game's saving grace i think.
  • Sweet. :cool:
  • I mean it's a cool concept but I don't know if that'll save it. If anything it makes EVE cooler. The gameplay just looks terribly boring and unoriginal.
  • I mean it's a cool concept but I don't know if that'll save it. If anything it makes EVE cooler. The gameplay just looks terribly boring and unoriginal.

I think you should be more fair, besides 0-G there's almost NO way an FPS can be original nowdays.

I mean, what's the best they could do to make it more "original" in a world that has seen FPS's come and go for more than two decades?
  • what's the best they could do to make it more "original" in a world that has seen FPS's come and go for more than two decades?
    Robots.
  • Mechwarrior, Starsiege, Battle Engine Aquila to name 3 that immediately popped into my head without me having to think..
  • I mean, what's the best they could do to make it more "original" in a world that has seen FPS's come and go for more than two decades?
    ZERO GRAVITY SPACE COMBAT??????
    FPS/RPG FUSION OF DOOM??????

No, I know what you mean though. I'm just saying that most games have some sort of gimmick that makes them stand out - I didn't really see anything in that gameplay demo that looked very extraordinary.

However, now that I think about it, it might be like Planetside - and ANYTHING that is like Planetside is something I'm interested in. Except... it's still console exclusive... I don't know why I'm posting in this thread still.

I will settle with:
    It looks cool, if you're into that kind of thing, sorta.
  • CCP isn't known to release lots of (if any) info on it's products. Those were early build demos, and following CCP's usual way, there is very little info about the game itself. Just a quick little battle and that's it. If you've seen early build demos from other games, as compared to the final product, you would see there's usually a huge difference between the two.

If you want to judge a game that's not even finished, feel free. CCP has stated that DUST will be similar to EVE as far as vehicles and vehicle fittings go, as well as hundreds of planets to play on, and some form of marketing system. (And more stuff, but they didn't want to ruin any surprises) Personally, I don't even like how the gameplay looks now, but I've accepted the fact that the game is, infact, NOT finished. And CCP always has had a way of surprising people when they release something. I don't plan to buy the game, but if it turns out to actually be good, then I might consider it, just because it'll effect what goes on in EVE.

Anyway... I'm done acting like a fool about this topic, it's just a game after all.
  • That is your typing there blnukem?
  • That is your typing there blnukem?

Surprized me too, he's usually yelling at somebody (Phantom?)
  • No, I know what you mean though. I'm just saying that most games have some sort of gimmick that makes them stand out - I didn't really see anything in that gameplay demo that looked very extraordinary.

And that's when the fact that this fucking game is linked to the vastest space MMORPG there is on the world comes into play, you're not gonna find that little gimmick in any other game, or are you?

I mean c'mon, you can be an actual space commando in a virtual universe, what more could you ask from a game?! (Besides being out for windows of course :mad: )
  • (Besides being out for windows of course :mad: )
    That's where my interest ended. No use getting excited for it if I'll never play it.