How to make .vl2 files!

It took me forever to finally figure all this information out, and I'd imagine it would take a long time for you guys to as well. So to cut down on that time, I'm here to make a guide on how to make your own .vl2 files for skins, but with just that information, you should be able to figure it out from there. ;)
[Please note that I only go through how to make the .vl2, and how to put .png files for your warrior in them.]

Now first off, you are going to need WinRAR. (or some other similar program, I've only tried it with WinRAR). Here's a link to get there:

Download WinRAR here.

Now, the first thing you need to know is: All a .vl2 file is is a .zip file, sugar-coated with fanciness. :eek: (which means you can also change .vl2 back to .zip to edit them) So to make a .vl2 file, go to the address you it in (not your house, btw. :p ), right click, and make a new .zip file. Put everything in it (the process of doing so will be explained further down), close down WinRAR, and rename the file type (.zip) to .vl2.

Okay, now for the detailed explanation of putting skin files (for a warrior) into the game. :D

Step 1: Get some .png files from somewhere that you want as a skin. (Yes, they need to be .png)
My recommandation for .png files and many other great Tribes II modifications:

The-Construct Skins

Step 2: Get WinRAR from the link posted above, go to the address you want your file to be (I suggest making the .vl2 file in a different location, then move it to the gamedata/base folder), right click, hit "New", and click "WinRAR ZIP Archive". Name the file to "[The name you want].zip" (Don't rename it to .vl2 yet.) (the .vl2 file's name is not the name that will show up in-game. The .png file's name is what shows up in-game. PLEASE DO NOT RENAME THE .png!).

Step 3: Right click on the desktop, hit "New" again, then click "Folder". Rename the folder to "Textures". Open the folder, and repeat the process, but rename this folder to "skins". Then go to your .png files, and drag them into the "skins" folder.

(For derms: [name].lbioderm.png; [name].mbioderm.png; [name].hbioderm.png.
For human males: [name].lmale.png; [name].mmale.png; [name].hmale.png.
For human females: [name].lfemale.png; [name].mfemale.png; [name].hmale.png.)

Step 4: Drag your "Textures" folder into the .zip file you made, and then rename the extension from .zip to .vl2.

Step 5: Delete the folder you made on the desktop after you've moved everything, and move your new .vl2 file to your Gamedata/base folder.

Step 6: Open Tribes II and go to the character customization tab, and make sure your skin is there.

Step 7: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP......... ENJOY YOUR NEW SKINS!!!! :cool:

Comments

• You can use 7-Zip, its free.
  • You can use 7-Zip, its free.
    Indeed.

Also the list bbcode is your friend.
  • I prefer Winrar.

I also moved this thread.
  • Neat tut Yavin, thanks for the info.
  • I just use rar, then rename the extension, .vl2
  • I dont see how you have to do something so fancy, i just compile a folder system and shove whatever i want into it, then make a zip version of that main folder and name change it.

although im guessing this is for the much much larger vl2s that your default zip wizard doesnt seem to like (2gb or larger infact.)
  • Usually if you wanted to make an archive that large you wouldn't use the sucky built in zip thing.
  • Its a great tut, and almost anyone from noob to expert can understand it. Well done.
  • Thank you. ^.^
  • Other Dirs that can be added:
    scripts/ - Torque Script.
    scripts/autoexec/ - Auto execute TGE script
    shapes/ - Custom .DTS shapes
    interiors/ - Custom .DIF Interiors
    audio/voice/ - Custom voice sounds (Needs a custom script)
    audio/fx/ - Custom FX Sounds
    music/ - Music!
    missions/ - Custom maps
    terrains/ - Terrain Data (.TER)
    terrains/heightmap/ - Heightmaps (Used for command circuit)
    prefs/ - Pref files (Not sure why anyone would do this)

Edit: A tutorial section should be added to the forum.
  • Thanks for that Dragon. :) I'll make sure to try some of those.
  • Usually if you wanted to make an archive that large you wouldn't use the sucky built in zip thing.
    I use FreeByte Zip, it makes self-extracting archives, and opens zips for Old-Timie Windows 2000 People, or with something earlier than tat.
    http://freebyte.com/zip
  • stop reviving threads, fool.
  • Any thread necromancer can make me happy in 3 easy steps:

1. Find a place to start a fire
    2. Start a fire at desired place
    3. Throw thyself in said fire and die
  • you know how THEY banned sythe... i was thinking... {Cant we just rape his real acc too and get this over with? i mean IT is a FUCKING THREAD NECRO O_o'}
  • I use FreeByte Zip, it makes self-extracting archives, and opens zips for Old-Timie Windows 2000 People, or with something earlier than tat.

No one cares what you use, and anyway 7-Zip works on Windows 98.
  • you know how THEY banned sythe... i was thinking... {Cant we just rape his real acc too and get this over with? i mean IT is a FUCKING THREAD NECRO O_o'}
    I'm not blind. I know what that is:
    Cant we just rape his real acc too and get this over with? i mean IT is a FUCKING THREAD NECRO O_o'
  • I'm not blind. I know what that is:
    Cant we just rape his real acc too and get this over with? i mean IT is a FUCKING THREAD NECRO O_o'

Well it is in bright white brackets.
  • Oh cmon, I didn't notice!, he gave me a chance to laugh :D