Tutorial: Polygons And You

Thankfully, DeviantArt lets me upload this at full size. :D

Click Here

Note typos:
"Think of a hexagon as 2 equilateral triangles put together"
Fix: "Think of a hexagon as 6 equilateral triangles put together"
"What you just found out is the diameter of a hexagon that has side lengths of 17.3188. However, the more accurate length is 17.32."
Fix: "What you just found out is the diameter of a hexagon that has side lengths of 10. However, the more accurate length for the diameter is 17.32."

Comments

• Nice work! I'd never thought to do polygons like that!
  • Also, if you want pentagons and sh!t, just improvise
  • I didn't actually read it but it looks good.
  • :P... fascinating.
  • Yes interesting. why post about it?

it is basic linear thought............ think in a cubic way.

Anyway nice work.
  • Nifty! I've seen this used in your railcart design! :3

Anyway nice work.

You're funny.

Anyway nice work.

I was gonna post a thread about being nice to people and making friends but it is basic linear thought so I decided not to post...
  • Common sense isn't that common. Make it anyway, Spin. Sometimes people just need a nudge.
  • I was gonna post a thread about being nice to people and making friends but it is basic linear thought so I decided not to post...

:simma:
  • level of ingorance on TC forums
    (red stands for ignorance and green is for kindness)
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  • Ignorance and kindness are not mutually exclusive...
  • Let's stick to comments about the tut, k?
  • I gues we're not linear enough.
  • This is complex exponential thought, k?
  • Not really it is quiet simple you just need to know tha mathimatical theory on how to work out Dodecagons hexagons and other such theorem you work it out using the Angle sum of a triangle

like so

A equallteral trinangle on a 180* all sides are 60*
    you join a equallteral triangle together to get the angle sum working out a pentagon is very much the same just using a Isoloes triangle and 4 equallateral triangles depending on what you are doing is allways equal on a 180* for all, triangles if they do not equal 180* it is not a triangle. (but this does not apply in tribes 2 considering all the pieces in tribes 2 are sqaure or rectangle) but you can do it in very much the same way.
  • By the way fast_fire, good tutorial for people that ( i worked out how you did it in about 1 minute)
  • To get the diameter of a pentagon, do the same process of a hexagon:

1. Divide 360 by the number of desired sides. For a pentagon, that's 75 degrees.
    2. Use the walkway method, but for the top place a complementary angled walkway to level the top. That'd be 15 degrees.
    3. On the bottom place 1 or 2 level walkways so that you can have an auto-adjusting beam reach between the level walkway on top and the level walkway on bottom.
    4. Before placing the beam, nudge the walkways being used for the beam, (/set nudge 1 for the top, /set nudge -1 for the bottom).
    5. Finally, place the auto-adjusting beam and use /getsize to get the diameter of a pentagon with sides the length of 10, (5m). Divide that diameter by 10 and you should have your common ratio.

This method works for all odd-numbered polygons with the number of sides above 2.

Btw, you actually took that post above seriously? And what's with using triangles for polygons that have their numbers of sides that aren't divisable by 3?
  • you can use it. think about it.
  • Nice tut! How do you make a triangle shape in tribes 2? (not really wanting a answer from Zeph cause that'll just get me more confused)

Also I like images cause I suck at just text explanations.
  • Zephyr, if you really were smart, you would know there is a fucking edit button and that using it impresses us more than complex words like "equallteral" (Equilateral)

(Also, "Isoloes"?, don't you mean "Isosceles"?)
  • Deflun you are my hero and I love you.

That is all.
  • Nice tut! How do you make a triangle shape in tribes 2? (not really wanting a answer from Zeph cause that'll just get me more confused)

There's no easy way.

Say if you wanna make just a triangle, it'll take at least 3 pieces for both the outline and to fill in the triangle.

Elec (Thyth) figured it out, but to implement triangles it would require the client to download, modify, or even delete certain files in the database, which has a high chance of screwing up the whole program. Want more details about it, ask the man himself.
  • Arrogance is the purest form of ignorence.......
  • Oh come on say shit that makes sense.
  • Just ignore him.

Anyone actually try to follow this tut step-by-step?
  • Not me, i've been busy playing GTA IV :D
  • Arrogance is the purest form of ignorence.......

Please leave the forum and never return.