Tribes 2 Ironsphere RPG 2

Comments

• Well, I haven't posted any news in a few days,mostly because of a major change going on. A few days ago one of the old Ironsphere devs, Thalagyrt, contacted me. He told me that he was actually going to be reviving Ironsphere himself later in the week, and offered that we worked together, because he has the server resources, and I already have some team members. Seeing as how everyone would benefit, I accepted.

The server has an SVN and Trac system set up on it, which makes it a very powerful system for developers. Beforehand, we were using an FTP server, and I don't even want to begin to say how terrible that was compared to this new developing system.

Download it here.
    http://ironsphererpg2.webs.com/apps/links/
  • If anybody would like to see what we've done so far- here is our trac roadmap:

https://tribes.betaforce.com/trac/T2RPG/roadmap/

You're also welcome to checkout what we have so far from SVN:

https://tribes.betaforce.com/svn/t2rpg/trunk/

However don't expect the mod to be in good shape, there are bugs all over the place.
  • all of which will be worked out on a timely basis.
  • Meh im trying to get ahold of my files for my old redone version of T2RPG. It had a whole bunch of new armor (helmets, boots, rings, a few new weapons, to include magic weapons, like the wand, and the wizards staff (which made the magic classes actually powerful with the games skill point system). and a few drop items that when you used them would give you a random item (like a wooden chest, i wonder whats inside?)

I was also working on some new areas for the map.
  • Im still waiting for some help with Ironsphere
  • :O
    thats my bad, i had you listed as someone else zaxx
  • Could it be possible to change the banking terms, from "Sell" and "Buy" To something like "Deposit Item" and "Withdraw item"
  • Get The New/old Rpg Dev To Join Tc.net. New Blood!! We Need New Blood! >:o

Also, i can model/texture pretty well, im gunna try to get into some animation (so i can do it for my game hehehe), if you guys want my services as either a scripter or a 3d artist, just put your fingers together and blow.

EDIT:

Nice work on the loading screen Phantom.
  • This is, without a doubt, the biggest mess of spaghetti code I've ever dealt with trying to clean up, and that's really saying a lot considering the projects I've cleaned up... Now I remember why I ditched when I did. Anyway, almost everything is being ripped out now and recreated from scratch. Copying and pasting code from T1 to T2 is a bad idea in general, I have no idea why that decision was made.

Alviss - I think I can speak for us all when I say we wouldn't mind a modeler on board. I'm currently hacking around with the idea of redoing the map from scratch, using either 32x32 blocks for the terrain or somehow trying to hack together a 1024x1024 terrain, which would really be the better option if possible... Maybe Thyth can chime in on that one. The issue I'm running into with the large blocks is primarily water being hardcoded to 8x8 blocks instead of following the terrain... I'm wanting to design a very very large map that more closely resembles an actual piece of land. No tiling, just a huge 8 km^2 map that goes from a beachy area on one corner to high mountains on the other sides.

A lot of the glitches in game mechanics are worked out already, it's mostly code reorg going on now to get things to a place where looking at one of these files doesn't make me want to take the entire codebase and throw it into an active volcano.
  • Copying and pasting code from T1 to T2 is a bad idea in general, I have no idea why that decision was made.

Laziness
    I think I can speak for us all when I say we wouldn't mind a modeler on board.

Cool, just drop me a line, or whatever if you want some and we can brainstorm shit.
    I'm currently hacking around with the idea of redoing the map from scratch, using either 32x32 blocks for the terrain or somehow trying to hack together a 1024x1024 terrain, which would really be the better option if possible... Maybe Thyth can chime in on that one. The issue I'm running into with the large blocks is primarily water being hardcoded to 8x8 blocks instead of following the terrain... I'm wanting to design a very very large map that more closely resembles an actual piece of land.

Kinda like GTW?
    A lot of the glitches in game mechanics are worked out already.

The only bug im noticing that is bothering me is my mouse is set to play mode when i change zones. I can work around it, it's just bothersome.

I've looked into it, and the reason it's doing it is because the zone text is it's own DLG, that is pushed on a trigger event, and then popped after a period of time. If you're in another dlg, the ui you're in is pushed back in the layers, and then is left in the background when the RPGZoneEntry is popped, and then the playgui is made the current layer. A way i see around this is to make RPGZoneEntry a part of the PlayGui, that is made visible or invisible instead of being pushed and popped.
  • Laziness

Cool, just drop me a line, or whatever if you want some and we can brainstorm shit.

Kinda like GTW?

The only bug im noticing that is bothering me is my mouse is set to play mode when i change zones. I can work around it, it's just bothersome.

Yup, the laziness was the problem there... It was a "Let's get T2RPG going and then go to IS" mentality, and it was just haphazardly done.

Got WLM or AIM or anything? My details are up now, shoot me a message.

The map thought is very much inspired by GTW, and the biggest concern is the water. I was sort of thinking, just for the sake of having this map, creating some mildly animated DTSes, say 200x200 meters, and just spawning those where we need water. Maybe some other smaller ones for rivers up higher on land - I'm hoping to have a few of those, and combined with non flood filled water we should be able to make them swimmable too. It wouldn't be as pretty as using native water, but short of doing a memory injection to change that value to the value we'd need for a 32x32 blocksize terrain, I don't see another way.

That issue with the hud when you zone should be easy enough to fix - it just has to do with how it's pushed. That's going to be changed to work like a bottomprint in terms of how it's pushed.
  • mildly animated DTSes, say 200x200 meters, and just spawning those where we need water. Maybe some other smaller ones for rivers up higher on land - I'm hoping to have a few of those, and combined with non flood filled water we should be able to make them swimmable too.

I get what you're saying. You could use TriggerZones and when someone enters the water StaticShape, have their gui tinted blue (you know what i mean) and change their animation to a swimming one. The only forseeable problem is how boats would interact with it. They might just shimmy through it like they would something without collision, or explode. Also, getting things to float on top would be a problem, so it's proll better to just have native water as you put it.
    That issue with the hud when you zone should be easy enough to fix - it just has to do with how it's pushed. That's going to be changed to work like a bottomprint in terms of how it's pushed.

Creepy.
  • How's that creepy? :eek:
  • How's that creepy? :eek:

You said what i said seconds later.
  • Did you get reincarnated again alviss?
  • Did you die again alviss?

I dont die, i reincarnate.
  • Get The New/old Rpg Dev To Join Tc.net. New Blood!! We Need New Blood! >:o

Also, i can model/texture pretty well, im gunna try to get into some animation (so i can do it for my game hehehe), if you guys want my services as either a scripter or a 3d artist, just put your fingers together and blow.

EDIT:

Nice work on the loading screen Phantom.

https://tribes.betaforce.com/trac/T2RPG/changeset/52
    I made that loading screen, because i hated the debrief gui.

edit: yeah that RPGZoneEntry pop/push was my fault, I changed that this morning, lol.
  • Phantom139 has been removed from his position as Co-Lead, and replaced by Signal360/Keyboardcat.
  • Excuse me but it seems you have a little bit of political instability
  • Nah, there's no instability. The only instability there was stemmed from Phantom needing his ego stroked at every possible moment. The fact is, he did virtually nothing that didn't need to be fixed by other people, and he was rude and unprofessional in a public facing ticket tracker and pretty much everywhere else. I refuse to put up with that in any project I'm managing, even something as small as a game mod, so he was removed from the team. Everyone else is fine.
  • Phantom139 has been removed from his position as Co-Lead, and replaced by Signal360/Keyboardcat.
    +
    Nah, there's no instability. The only instability there was stemmed from Phantom needing his ego stroked at every possible moment. The fact is, he did virtually nothing that didn't need to be fixed by other people, and he was rude and unprofessional in a public facing ticket tracker and pretty much everywhere else. I refuse to put up with that in any project I'm managing, even something as small as a game mod, so he was removed from the team. Everyone else is fine.
    =
    lol
  • I havent been around for a few days, whats the status of the mod?
  • I have now reaquired my old IS customization. which a bunch of new armor, new weapons, and new items. I will host periodically if you guys want to come check them out, and maybe use the items ive made.
  • Don - Cool, that should help tide some people over until this rewrite is done. Our intent is to be faithful to the game while cleaning up redundancy. I mentioned it on TN, but not TC - the entire mod as you know it was wiped a while back and we've started from a clean base slate, simply due to how disastrous and inextensible the codebase was. Things will be much easier to maintain, and adding new features will also be easier as the whole thing is being designed around ease of extensibility.
  • You know, if you guys don't actually have an artist, there're a lot of assets that might be right up your alley at http://media.ryzom.com/ (creative commons share-alike licensed).
    Of course, you would need someone familiar with 3ds to do the dts conversion.
  • Phantom139 has been removed from his position
    How did you manage to remove Phantom?
  • How did you manage to remove Phantom?

/kick phantom

Not hard.
    You know, if you guys don't actually have an artist, there're a lot of assets that might be right up your alley at http://media.ryzom.com/ .

Thats... really freaking cool. lol, gotta delve into that now.
  • Wouldn't mind offering my services as a programmer if they can be used. I'm somewhat familiar with the Torque engine, but I've been fiddling around with Tribes code and the Darkstar engine since ~1999 lol. Although I seem to have gotten somewhat of a bad reputation with the TRPG community due to my early stints with Old World RPG, I'm still happy to be no where near as bad as Phantom >.<.
  • After being inactive for about a month or two, I'm back, and this mod is going to get going again. Expect to see the mod back and running soon. At the moment it's looking like it will be popping its head back up within a month.