GarageGames Folding

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/11/instantaction-shutting-down-company-selling-torque-tech/

InstantAction shut down, and they're trying to find a buyer for Torque. (That means no more Fallen Empire: Legions, of course.) Also might explain why they sold the Tribes IP not long ago.
Coincidentally, Emergent (the creators of the NetImmerse/Gamebyro engine used by Bethesda Softworks games since Morrowind) also folded at the same time. If that engine gets buried due to that, I won't miss it, not after all its bugginess and unoptimized-ness.

Comments

• Wow, that sucks. Cant say im at all surprised however. Im just glad i didnt personally piss away any money. ;)

I do however declare my support for a "Torque Foundation" type community buyout. Perhaps dedicated hobbyists who are getting paid no money will do a better job of making torque suck less than the paid employees of IA ever did.
  • By now it should be clear that Torque itself should be dead with a more powerful, more efficient, and less limited engine to take its divine place.

Such a feat would be more reachable if someone experienced with Torque buys it and gets to work immediately.
    We might be able to succeed by the next planetary alignment.
  • After UDK came out, and the free edition of Unity Engine, I'm not surprised at all this happened.
  • Back in May InstantAction handed Legions over to a small group of community members/interns to continue development. They have permission to release the game, and are expecting to sometime before Christmas. A large part of the Legions community has transfered over to the official site http://legionsoverdrive.com.

:)
  • interesting
  • interesting

Don't worry, I'll deal with these guys.
  • I still own TGE. I honestly have no idea what to do with it. At first, I wanted to extend the Direct3D to support anti-aliasing, until I found out that torque doesn't have real support for DirectX (it's just some d3d->opengl mask). Then, I tried adding newer OpenGL extensions, but then that also requires a rewrite of the rendering process. In fact, adding anti-aliasing to torque drove me nuts. What to do? I can't auction the rights away, and I don't care to become capable to update the engine. It'd be easier to write a new one than deal with this piece of junk. Of course, they have their own library for matrices, rotations, and transformations, but none of them are industry compliant. I've considered forking the 1000 for their new engine, but I don't want to deal with the massive headaches it will certainly provide. Especially considering there is absolutely no documentation for the engine. A comment would be nice occasionally in the code, but that's all missing and substandard. I hate Garage Games with a passion that has nearly ruined and squandered my very love for technology.

Stay dead GG. I'll be celebrating.
  • A large part of the Legions community has transfered over to the official site http://legionsoverdrive.com.

:)
    By the way, the Legions: Overdrive public beta started.