hmm help?

im 1 of papabears friends im the 1 who hosts the teamspeak he goes on. anyway i just installed windows 7 and tribes 2 with windows 7 and im getting some annoying lag when looking at peices anyone else getting anything like that if they use win 7? i mean i run everything including the install in compatibility mode for win xp service pack 2 cause thats what im told to do.... anyone got any other ideas?

Comments

• Hmm, what kind of video card do you have?
  • Nvidia Geforce 6200SE turbo cache
  • this game is around 11 years old nearly.. its pretty much renowned for its instability, unfortunately i dont have a solution for you exept to maybe bear and grin it... others may be more helpful but for now it sounds like graph settings, this game doesnt seem to like settings above 1280x1024, it does list higher but i dont really recommend it
  • Try fiddling with your Nvidia settings for Tribes 2?
  • I didn't know there were higher resolutions than 1280 x 1024 back in early 2000!

how's that even possible O.o?
  • I didn't know there were higher resolutions than 1280 x 1024 back in early 2000!

how's that even possible O.o?

it isnt. t2 simply feels as if it can do them when it really cant/lags when it does

not to mention that nvidia is accctually forcing it into doing that resolution anyway
  • I run 1920 x 1080 no probs. Tribes didn't have to know what resolutions the future held :p

6200 turbo cache isn't the worlds greatest card, and that might be the problem. More-so as the piece number gets higher.
  • How many pieces are we talking here? The 6200 can't really render more than a few hundred pieces on screen without getting a big FPS drop (I'd probably rank it up there with a GeForce 2 :p). You may be able to increase your FPS slightly by tweaking your settings and disabling any extras (AA, AF, etc) you may have enabled in the nVidia panel, but if you want a significant boost you'd be better off buying a $25-50 card to replace it (you could probably even find something cheaper in a sale, post up your DxDiag output if you're not sure what you can replace it with).

Regardless of what you might've been told, Tribes 2, the installer, and the patch, will run natively on Vista or 7. The only issues you would normally run into (both of which can be solved by changing windows settings) are:
    • UAC rendering the "remember password" field ineffective.
    • Aero (which you should have disabled with your card anyway) causing somewhat higher GPU usage, UEs on alt-tabbing from fullscreen.

Additionally, to say the game has issues with higher resolutions is absolutely untrue and unfounded. The game under OpenGL is designed to run at a variety of resolutions, and will run any and all of the resolutions it lists flawlessly (if you're feeling especially edgy, it can also run non-standard resolutions with a bit of trickery - though if your monitor doesn't support it, it won't work fullscreen).

T2 is 10 years this month, by the way.
  • T2 is 10 years this month, by the way.

Amazing isn't it? The only game Ive seen where it survived the people running the game ending their support for it, and the player base continuing on the legacy.
  • Actually...the Black & White community tried to do the same thing.
  • Additionally, to say the game has issues with higher resolutions is absolutely untrue and unfounded. The game under OpenGL is designed to run at a variety of resolutions, and will run any and all of the resolutions it lists flawlessly (if you're feeling especially edgy, it can also run non-standard resolutions with a bit of trickery - though if your monitor doesn't support it, it won't work fullscreen).

I never claimed it couldnt, but that was my experience of it. sorry for the misunderstanding there.
    Actually...the Black & White community tried to do the same thing.

clearly unsuccessfully, I kinda remember it but i never played it
  • lol well i over clocked my graphics card so i should be able to handle a bunch not to mention the 4 gigs of ram that helps.... not like its a big game to start with? :P but i will try it and i was just wondering cause i had no issues when i was running windows xp
  • Overclocking may be what's making T2 act all funky.
  • :o do you use a dual core processor. i know something glitchy about that. might need to set the affinity to 1 core. and since i dont know what im talking about, here is a link:

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=171.0