>16 Bots on a Server? (Real Bots, not the "dude" bots you get with AddBots())

I like to build on maps where stuff is going on, ie, a Bot CTF Map below me lol. Out of curiosity, is there a way you can add more bots than the config limit of 16? Ie, i assume its a naming & script limitation, how could i script more of them?
Oh, and as the title says, i don't like the "dude" bots, they basically just annoy me. So i'd like to have real named ones.

I wanted to look in the ai.cs files, but i do not know how to unpack/export them. Is it done by some export cs file command? I haven't played in years so i don't remember exactly.

Oh, and one more Q. Do Windows Dedicated Servers run multicore? Or is T2 too old? Because i am running my server on a quad core mac pro, and just for goofing if i add a TON of bots i can only get one core to cap out, so i assume T2 is running single core?

Thanks for any replies! Long Live Construct!

Comments

• There are something around 80 bot names that can be selected from through the automatic system. Some functions you might want to use in the console are:
    aiConnectMultiple(%numToConnect, %minSkill, %maxSkill, %team);
    aiConnectByName(%name, %team);

If you'd like to have them added automatically using the serverpref "$Host::BotCount", you'll need to modify server.cs. Open it up, find "function initGameBots" and in that function find "$Host::BotCount > 16". Change this and the line below to the limit you want and it should work fine.
    The slider on the host page uses a similar limit, which you would find in GameGui.cs, but it isn't really needed. Just edit the var in your serverprefs.cs.

Tribes 2 wasn't designed to utilize multicore, and has sometimes been known to have problems with it. If you experience strange speeds you should set the affinity for the process to a single core, and if you experience jittering you can try using "setPerfCounterEnable(0);" in the console.

You can open up the vl2 files with winrar/winzip/blah or just rename the extension to .zip, they should work fine.
  • Awesome thanks!

Any idea how to avoid the "TargetManager::cSetTargetSensorGroup: invalid sensor group [-1]" error? I've tried searching for TargetManager just so i can toy with it, but i haven't found it yet. I assume it is inside the ai files, but i don't have access to the .cs files (You have to export them correct? And i don't know how to)

I think it is specific to DeathMatch, if that helps at all. Thanks to any replies!
  • SetTargetSensorGroup is called when they're added to a team, but if it's trying to set the group -1 they just don't have one. I believe deathmatch only uses teams 1 through 32, so you may have to modify the DMgame.cs assingClientTeam function. I don't have the game handy at the moment to check, but it should be a pretty straightforward fix.

To get the files you need only rename scripts.vl2 to scripts.vl2.zip and extract it to a working directory someplace. Once you've edited one of the files you can plop it in your construction scripts folder and delete the old dso for it, but if the cs already exists in there you'd probably want to modify that one instead.
  • I never knew SMP jitter could be corrected with setPerfCounterEnable(0);...

I usually ended up bumping the time scale up on the server until it went away. Thanks, Krash.