For Those Who Know...

I know only a few of you know about what I'm posting. If you know about it, please enlighten me so I may have the knowledge, too. Please note I'm not asking for help on a script (though I may use it in the future), I just want to know how to explore all the capabilities of a TCPObject, and an HTTPObject.

First, the HTTPObject:
I have yet to test it's capabilities, however, I would still like to know if anyone out there knows how to work it's functions. I do know how to connect to online pages, though.

I saw, in the dump command, that it had a send(), a get(), and a post(). I'm pretty sure these were functions left in when Dynamix tried to implement the forum feature in tribes 2. I haven't tested them, though, I would certainly appreciate it if someone were point out that it requires this to be enabled first or maybe an example script.

Second, the TCPObject:
I've been trying quite a bit to explore this little surprise, however, it just refuses to work on me.

It has two functions which I really like the sound of: listen() and send(). I learned that listen is controlled by $Host::BindAddress, and, if you don't set that variable, it doesn't assign quite correctly (it just binds to the default port).

It uses ::onConnectFailed along with some other functions that are identical to the HTTPObject. I'm familiar with these, just not send() or listen().

If anyone can enlighten me on how these two wonders work, I'm willing to read what you have to say.

Comments

• I already knew about those functions. I want to know about get(), post(), and send() for the HTTPObject. For the TCPObject, I want to know send() and listen().
  • Yeah, that page seems to cover most of it. Though most of my experience with these is with HTTPobjects with post and get, I believe with send you should create the packet and work it out something like this after connecting:
    Object.send( "GET /this/is/text.txt HTTP/1.0", "\x0a" );

Using get or post in conjunction with onLine and such you'd just use:
    Object.get/post( %server, %filename, %args );
  • Eolk seems specifically interested in opening a socket for inbound connections via T2 script. There is a slightly different process for doing this that has some counter-intuitive quirks. I remember doing it once. I'll try to find that script.
  • Thanks, you guys are really helpful. I really, REALLY appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. :)
  • "Knowledge is power, hide it well, and no one will know how powerful you are."

whats the fun in that?
  • Just look at that topic that Master-Chief- linked to on Advanced Mod. I was still quite newbish to T2 programming.
  • I posted that.
    Don't worry Thyth, we all still gaze upon your skills in awe.
  • I eagerly await your example, Thyth. :)
  • Lol, I was about to say, "Wtf, didn't post any links.."
  • I can't believe it.. I just saw Thyth.. asking for help.. on something still fairly simple... cool.

Heh.. that was cool :)
  • That was back when he was still "pretty newbish" as he puts it. Thyth started out like you and I did -- he asked how to do things and how this worked, etc.

Oh, yes and "bump."
  • I'm terribly busy, and I probably won't be able to look for that code sample until late December.
  • High five!
  • A high five... for what?
  • Good God... I dreamt I put a picture of a Nazi in my avatar last night.
    Think it had something to do with Snowfire saying what he did above.