The Holidays are Coming...

The holidays are coming! What a good time to settle down and relax with con and a warm mug of hot chocolate while relaxing!

Or maybe we should get up and do a little something to make us "sweat." ;)

SuperDoe was proposing earlier that we do something for the upcoming holidays (mainly Christmas :)). I know last time we tried to do a contest, it was a bit of a drag (maybe we should do contests...). I would like to know what you guys would like to do for the holidays! :D

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Please express them!

Comments

• Hmm.... let's run a Flatdash Snowy map. :) (Ugh, clientside, but meh..)
  • A flatdash snowy map might be really nice. It'd keep the heretical noobs out of the server, and attract more people to the forums. :D
  • I'm down if I'm not drunk or hungover ;)
  • Flatdash clientside map... hmmm...
    Are you sure clientside will go down well with The-Construct or whoever's willing to take it?

Waldo???
  • Quickly! Give me an idea for a script!
  • A pack that lets people tear holes in the ground.
  • I'll get to it! :D
    Thanks, Thyth.
  • :D THATS AWESOME THYTH!

If Eolk can't do it, i will. :)
  • Yeah... okay... :)
  • A pack that lets people tear holes in the ground.

*cough* Clientside *cough*

Unless if you simply move them below the ground...
  • Changing the sky is clientside. I was just thinking maybe you could reload the terrain. :p
    It could work, and it couldn't. I think I found some terrain-loading functions. I'll give it a shot soon.

WALDO??? WHERE ARE YOU?!?
  • *cough* Clientside *cough*

Unless if you simply move them below the ground...
    You're clearly uninformed, as always.

Terrain holes are properties of the instance, not of the mesh. That's why you can plop holes in the terrain using the editor for buildings with underground areas without making the map client side.

It is quite likely that these deactivated tiles will appear active to clients, but if you provide some sort of visual outline of the cutout, it isn't a big deal.

The only reason nobody has done it before is because nobody has bothered figuring out how to go from terrain X/Y coordinates to tile index numbers. I'm sure anyone with half of a brain (which obviously excludes you, Phantom) could figure out that conversion in under 20 minutes.
  • Now, now...
  • The holes will be active when they are changed, however, the cilents can't see them.
  • I'm sure anyone with half of a brain (which obviously excludes you, Phantom)
    Don't get carried away just yet, Thyth. I understand that you both have an intense dislike for one another, but we should try to avoid future flaming. More so from Phantom, for Thyth doesn't yell very often (Although he indeed has before). And don't bring me into this, I want no part of it.
  • Alright.

I've finally conducted some research, and things are starting to make sense...
    Playing "what is the rule?" is not my favorite game...
  • I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about finding how a player's position is related to the square. :p

Converting a position to a square number might not be the best approach... I probably should have started on this earlier, 'cause it's getting too late to think...
  • Haha, I guess it worked for both instances... :)
  • What is migraine.ogg supposed to do? I've been meaning to ask Thyth for about a month or two now.
  • Am I the only one that likes to spend meaningless minute after minute on his homepage, constantly hitting the refresh button? :)
  • Yes. You are weird.
  • Hey! I just figured out how the terrain generators work...
  • I don't hate Phantom. I just give him as much respect as he gives the people he took code from. If you've read the chat log from February (as you linked it above), I'm sure you see that Phantom had/has no problem spouting lies to perpetuate his position.

Anyway, when I tried terrain tile/position conversion on the Katabatic map, I discovered that the existing terrain holes were all between 0 and 1048576. Considering terrain maps are square (and based on this upper bound, the Katabatic terrain is 1024x1024 tiles), this means the tiles are numbered somehow sequentially. Terrain objects have a tile size field property to indicate how large a terrain block is on the X and Y axis. So... if you take the position of the player/deployable hole pack, from it subtract the position of the terrain, and ignore the z axis, you get a positional delta vector. If you divide that by the size of the terrain tile, and floor it, you should get a 2D vector indicating how many tiles on the X axis, and how many tiles on the Y axis the player/deployable hole pack is located.

Then, it becomes a process of figuring out which direction tiles go on the terrain map, which is really 2 questions. Firstly, does the tile index increment process move on the X axis, or the Y axis, as well as if it is in the positive or negative direction. Secondly, does the tile wrap increment process move in the positive or negative direction on the axis orthogonal to the index increment process move.

Once you figure out that, it is trivial to go from x/y to tile index, and index to tile position.

The only snag you might run into is what happens to tile index values when you create holes on tiles that are on one of the nearly infinite duplicated sections of the terrain.
  • The only snag you might run into is what happens to tile index values when you create holes on tiles that are on one of the nearly infinite duplicated sections of the terrain.
    It will simply refuse to make a hole. There is a green boundary outside the red one (which represents the mission boundaries) which represents when the terrain repeats. Notice when you move the square for poking holes in the ground outside of the green boundary, either the square turns blue or it just disappears. In either case, if you click, the game will not place a hole in that area.

I'm testing using MissionBlank from Zear's pack. It's a little easier on a flat terrain.
  • I'm getting really close now:
    -1024 -1024 turns up 65536 (1024 times 64 = 65536)
    1024 1024 turns up 131071 (2048 times 64 = 131071)
    1016 1024 turns up 131070
    -1024 1024 turns up 130816
    1024 1016 turns up 130815
    1016 1016 turns up 130814
    1008 1016 turns up 130813
    The lowest tile number is 65536??? Need to verify.

Mission blank: Terrainsize: 8
    I think that's enough evidence...
  • Thought I'd throw this in since they holidays are coming and not many people said this.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :wave:
  • You disrupted the moment!
  • Eolk... Do you have to be an ass every day? You are begining to act like me... Which is making me want to act like the way you used to act. OMG!!! Maybe we are slowly switching personalities?
  • It's the holiday season...
    Well, hoop-de-doop, and dickory dock...