Uh yeah.

So I'd like to know who signed up for this account using my email address? Sursly. Regardless, they don't have access to the account anymore because well, I reset the password.

Can you guys like instantiate a "You need to click this URL in your email" so I don't get people using my email address for their account?

kthx?

Comments

• may I ask, who this is?
  • Uhm, I don't think it matters. I didn't sign up for these forums and someone else did using my email address. Therefore, I get all the email from this forum because someone didn't want to put in their own email.

You guys need to put up a "CLICK THIS LINK TO VERIFY THIS IS YOUR EMAIL" email. k? Thanks.

PS.
    Whoeever Phantom139 is, he PMed whoever sent this guy's account is code for whatever.
  • So your name is tribes2. What is your email address you're trying to use to sign up? [email protected]? LOL
  • Shrimp, that joke wasn't funny.

Ok, it was a little, but not as much as it could be ):, you should have given T2's Support email.
  • So I'd like to know who signed up for this account using my email address? Sursly. Regardless, they don't have access to the account anymore because well, I reset the password.

Can you guys like instantiate a "You need to click this URL in your email" so I don't get people using my email address for their account?

kthx?
    As far as I know, you should have gotten a verification e-mail that requires the user to click the link if it is their e-mail, or another link if someone else is using your e-mail. Also, if they did accept it through your email, you should get account information, including password.

Someone may have logged in your e-mail (siblings? children? crackers?).
  • may I ask, who this is?

he is retribution.

And, obviously, I did send you code.
  • As far as I know, you should have gotten a verification e-mail that requires the user to click the link if it is their e-mail, or another link if someone else is using your e-mail. Also, if they did accept it through your email, you should get account information, including password.

Someone may have logged in your e-mail (siblings? children? crackers?).

This is the email I got. And as you can see no email verification is used:
    tribes2, Thanks for registering at The Construct Forums! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay. Thanks again, The Construct Forums team

And PS.
    Seeing as this is a tribes site, the noob used the email tribes2 [at] gmail [dot] com. As you already figured out, is my email address.
  • This is the email I got. And as you can see no email verification is used:

And PS.
    Seeing as this is a tribes site, the noob used the email tribes2 [at] gmail [dot] com. As you already figured out, is my email address.

Well, that name isn't really original, is it?

If you where pro yourself, you'd know not to use General names, like, for example, the name of the game the forum is about :P
  • Which is why most people get nailed with ads and popups. I had an old email named
    "[email protected]", and it was getting so much mail about registering on forums, offers from ads, It would almost reach about 3,000 BULK mail every day.
  • Email verification is tedious and unreliable. A number of users register simply to request assistance with the game, and this would be hindered by their inability to post without first checking their email for a link. Needless to say, some of the users have trouble figuring out the registration process as it is.
    Also, users awaiting email confirmation are just as capable of sending and recieving private messages. If the person on registering had chosen to be notified by email of new messages, you would be.

It's clear that whomever did register with your email did not use the account and did not comprimise your identity in any way; as well, the private message you recieved was likely sent in error. In the end, an account always belongs to the email it's registered to. If you wished to stop recieving emails, you need only log in and change the settings in your control panel. If you want the account removed, you need only send a message to an administrator.

Creating an impulse thread calling out your aggressor is totally unnecessary. Especially so when you really haven't been wronged and the email address you've chosen for yourself is so unambiguous and relative to the topic. For an example scenario: a 6 year old could've found their way to the site from the game, clicked the register link, typed in the name of the game they were playing, and appended @gmail.com to it when the site said it wasn't a valid address.

In short, cool it.
  • I'd make a new e-mail address along with a new account (with an original name of course) and just forget this ever happened... >_>
  • Yeah.. in the time it took him to argue about someone having used a generic email ([email protected]) to register he could have registered a new email and sign up :P.