Joining Online Servers without Accounts

I figured out how to let a user without a t2 account join an online server and play with registered users.

Essentially people can start t2 in LAN mode and connect and join any online server. They won't have any clan, realname, or guid info.

A problem is that servers currently dropping nullbots to prevent DoS attacks by looking for empty authinfo or guid will drop these players, because they don't have guids.

For this to be properly useful, a secondary authentication system needs to be in place to distinguish new players from bots and miscreants. (And to identify them in general)

Therefore, I'll release this information to people working on the secondary authentication systems. When they are completed you can invite your friends to t2.

Comments

• Ah, promising.
  • Interesting, just joined. Way, way, way, way, way old Construction mod player. Still have my account but my friend never had one, would love to hear about this so he can play it since there aren't any keys available anymore.
  • You better not go lazy on this project.
  • See, I already done my part. You should look at elec who says he'll have an awesome new shiny auth system with strong crypto.
  • Which is already mostly written, except T2 Ruby needs to be better isolated from the game itself. I guess IPC will come to the rescue.