Sierra shutting down master servers

Comments

• Hah. I noticed it went down three times yesterday.. Nobody would believe me.
    After I told sloik it went down, before he checked it, it came back up! lol
  • Well, lets compile a list of ip addresses to names as Thy did above.. to conect to my 56 bot infested server :lol:

sircraigs.net:28000

or (as of now... i have a dynamic ip that will be this for a month or so until i powercycle my modem)

70.226.131.227:28000
  • How are we supposed to connect to the server?
    Isn't the authentication server down?
  • and i keep trying to host my server the black databox wont come up
  • Yeah, I'm gonna play that now. I have the TC master server. I'll meet anbody who wants to play there, there. :D
  • Cool, ill be on all day, AFK or not.
  • On a side note, someone really should put SOME thing on tribesnext.com. Right now most T2 players don't even know what the hell it's supposed to be, they just look at it and say "all I see is a tribes logo", and I end up having to explain everything to them. Maybe just stick a small explanation on one of the pages, something like "Vivendi has finally pulled the plug on the Tribes 2 master servers. In response, we've been working to develop an entirely new authentication server. This time, there won't be any need for CD keys, and in the future, we may even see the return of the browser. The patch is almost finished; check back here soon for further updates and the eventual download link."
    There you can even paste that and it would save a lot of people from having to ask any questions.
  • oh shitshitshitshit noooooooooooooooooo!

*dies*
  • On a side note, someone really should put SOME thing on tribesnext.com.

Yeah, sorry, I've been meaning to, just gotten so caught up in everything else. ;)

edit: There, put a little info page with your blurb. I'll update it with more info on how everything will work and such later.
  • oh shitshitshitshit noooooooooooooooooo!

*dies*

Lmao..
  • master server is gone?

Sad Face.
  • The TribesNext site has been updated with a blurb, and I've put a link to this thread on the page.
    If anyone is looking there, they might stumble onto this thread. :p
  • I came home today... and found this:
    shocked.png

</horrorstory>
  • lol..

Sloik... You are a piece of work. :P
  • Lol, Why can't you come in now, Nukem? The server PROBABLY won't be available until.... tomorrow? come on in and play with us, chicken!
  • Lol, Why can't you come in now, Nukem? The server PROBABLY won't be available until.... tomorrow? come on in and play with us, chicken!
    Lol.

Wtf?
  • Like my avatar below?

Look down..

More..
    More...
    MORE...
  • To those who got stuck in my long posts, I am actually quite sorry. I know it’s allot to read through. And worse the worst part is, when you don’t want to read it all, but you do it anyway, it’s like being in a slow speed train wreck. As I said, I write C# development articles, most times it's a gift to write so much, and they are triple checked.

Thyth, I’m sure you will do well. I said allot but I was initially trying to help only with the server side and above, never client side and I was not trying to answer those questions... that is why I asked you. I am unsure how the fact that I never overly claimed to be the client side guru was missed so many times, but I will accept it was in the length of the posts. ;)

Congratulations and good luck… not unlike others I am looking forward to the end result.
  • I write C#
    Here in my house, I have a perfect room for you.
    It has soft white walls just like mine.
    I even have a matching shirt for you, but it's a little bothersome to put on... it kinda restrains you.
  • I'm learning the basics of C++. I'm working on an Associates in Information Technology, then transferring the credits to start on my Bachelor's in Computer Science. I'm enjoying it thus far, I'm sure I'll enjoy CS more when I start next year. :)

Anyhow, Krash. Mind emailing me when you get the chance? My email is in my signature.
  • Here in my house, I have a perfect room for you.
    It has soft white walls just like mine.
    I even have a matching shirt for you, but it's a little bothersome to put on... it kinda restrains you.
    Yay fun room! Fun shirt! :D
  • Hey Thy, just curious, do you have any updates as to how the system is going and how far % wise you are with things?
  • Yeah, sorry for the prolonged silence. I've been really busy. I was debugging an OpenDHT interface for server listing, update download, authentication server lookup. The scripts that OpenDHT provides as a reference implementation don't function on any of the UNIX systems that I have access to at the moment, so I haven't been able to determine what in my HTTP wrapping doesn't make the OpenDHT nodes happy. It's a standard XML-RPC over HTTP sort of thing, but my implementation of HTTP POST is evidently not quite correct. I plan on downloading an XML-RPC library and seeing how the encapsulated queries are different than the one my script generates. Probably a couple of hours away from that.

Once OpenDHT is debugged, the server side listing component is already finished (including global IPv4 address lookup), it is about 30 lines of code to do a heartbeat. Auto-update will work in a pretty similar manner -- it will download a URL+signature, then download a Ruby script file from that URL (probably another 30 lines). Auth server lookup will also be extremely similar -- download an IP/port+signature, then connect to the IP/port. Since OpenDHT turn around time for queries is essentially instant, this lets me move the Auth server around without waiting for DNS propagation.

Krash has sent me some updated GUIs, but I haven't had the chance to look at them yet. I had sent him a development version of the client side authentication implementation which implemented account processing. I think Krash added GUI events that connect to the functions that I wrote. There is probably 4 to 5 solid hours of work to finish up GUIs so they are easy to use by players without technical background.

After UIs are complete, along with everything OpenDHT related, there will still be writing an auto-patcher for the game, and packing it up into an auto installer. I'll also want to make sure there are no unresolved dependencies with the C++ runtime, so I'll do a test installation within VMware to make sure everything is ready.

I think we will be out by Friday night, though I would have liked to have been online last week, before the scheduled shutdown date of the official servers.
  • Thanks for the update! Don't worry about being silent about it, its clear that there is a lot of things to do to go into it, and I'm sure a lot of people (including me) appreciate it :) Keep up the good work!
  • Yay fun room! Fun shirt! :D
    And the happy men and women come and make things better ^^
    I don't know why I'm not allowed to go outside though.