Client Side Building Manager?

So, a while ago, I was talking to Krash about perhaps making a client-side Building Manager, so that instead of having to rebuild things on different servers, having a limit of buildings, or needing to have the files transferred for server to server, a client could just save and load from his own computer...However, Krash said that this would be impossible, since the client would be able to modify a file and load it, and totally f*** with the server. I gave it up for loss.

But, I talked with Elec, our favorite programmer, and he said there's a script that checks the files to make sure that they're actually buildings and nothing else...

So, would it be possible to have a Client-Side Building Manager?

Comments

• Krash made it possible to upload buildings from The-Construct servers and download them on other The-Construct servers. Not sure if you already knew that or not.
  • Krash said that this would be impossible
    I said nothing of the sort. I said I had already written such a script, and that it would not be enabled on TC servers, especially since players could simply use the online system.
  • But, I talked with Elec, our favorite programmer, and he said there's a script that checks the files to make sure that they're actually buildings and nothing else...
    I said that such a script would be possible in ECM, since the save system produces files that are much easier to verify. Such a verifier would be difficult to write for the standard Construction save files, if at all possible.
  • I said that such a script would be possible in ECM, since the save system produces files that are much easier to verify. Such a verifier would be difficult to write for the standard Construction save files, if at all possible.
    If you have a parser to read each line and check fields for valid content, it can be possible at least to have basic pieces pass through, but any functions that need to be run on the piece, or any fields that can possibly contain an external function would have to be stripped if they can't be verified. Of course, it could always rebuild a lot of it afterwords, so it shouldn't lose too much in the process.
  • Isn't there already a "client-side saving" script? I remember something like that was written quite a long time ago.
  • Isn't there already a "client-side saving" script? I remember something like that was written quite a long time ago.

Krash and i wrote that (mostly Krash, lol).

I can dig up the old file and update it some; maybe include a compression table, since i remember the byte sizes being to large to handle.
    Quan had one, which I exploited. It was fun. :)
  • lol, goods times had by all, turk?