ECM Questions

OK... This is kinda weird to explain. I made a long walkway out into the water. When I got to the end and tried to place an LSB (on the corner, like a post at the end of a dock,) it didn't appear. My reticle went green and it made the little deployment sound. How odd I thought. I tried again... same symptoms.
Later, I dropped into the water to get a look from underneath and lo & behold there was my LSB's! The strange thing was, they were no only underneath the walkway but at the beginning. I had placed them at the end. Here's a lame attempt at illustration:

_______________________| (<---Tried to place here)
| (<---Ended up here)

To clarify, my first try was with about 10 walkways, merged together. My second try was one walkway resized 5 x 5 x 60. Same results. When I tried to place another walkway at the end of the dock to start a branch for a slip, the walkway deployed under the first walkway and at the beginning. The same as the LSB.
Any ideas???

Comments

• Did you delete any of the all-important do_not_delete DSO files?
    Have you cleaned out unneeded DSO files via DSO remover?
  • uhh... no. It hadn't occured to me. Should that make a difference?
    What is it exactly that DSO's do?
    I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for the reply. :D
  • If you have DSO files in your base folder, they may muck up Construction.
    DSO files are compiled CS files. T2 checks if they're recent enough to ignore compiling the CS files (to save time).
  • Gotcha.
    I deleted my DSO's, (pasting those back from my backup "do_not_delete" folder.)
    That seemed to fix the issue untill I changed the texture of my dock. Apparently I have to complete my structure before I go and change any textures... unless I'm doing something wrong.
  • What texture? Unless they're the standard "beam" textures (excluding wood), issues tend to arise when deploying on them.
  • You'll want to stick to aluminum, titanium, iron, palladium, and copper textures when building. The shape files for those textures actually have a collision domain that matches the physical appearance of the shape. All of the other shapes are either non-regular, or the collision boundary doesn't match the physical appearance.

Almost all of the Construction mod edition writers opted to make the physical appearance take priority over collision correctness, since the collision domains of some shapes really don't make sense at all. The official vanilla construction mod version (0.69a) just didn't feature structural deployables that used a shape file other than the list of textures I said above.

If you're interested in seeing how the boundaries differ, you can enter these two commands into your console:
    $Collision::testClippedPolyList = 1;
    $Collision::boxSize = 30;
    That will show you the collision boundaries of everything within 30 meters of your view.
    Use $Collision::testClippedPolyList = 0; to turn it off.
  • Sweet! I'll try it. Thanks fo the info guys.

Oh... and to answer the question, I used wood. Thought it would look nice for a dock and a boat.
  • Was good? None of yall can see dis shit.

My question is... Is Eolk a girl?
  • Yes we can.
    And...it seems likely.
  • Wood dosen't turnout good, try using aluminum then changing it into wood.
    _________________________________| (<
    wood goes here)
    |(<
    it always appears here...)

It needs to be fixed. But Electricutioner is currently busy.... just view Krash's Schedule...
    or check http://tribes2web.co.nr/ 's forum..... I might look and fix it, or see me on "Tribes 2 Server", I doubt I could fix it, try using Aluminum to deploy, after deployed, change it into wood then...
  • Was good? None of yall can see dis shit.

My question is... Is Eolk a girl?
    Lol, I found your secret message.
  • Just to clairify... I deployed a walkway with the default texture, changed it to wood, then deployed an LSB, (also default,) and it appeared like my illustration.

I'll have to try deploying all my goodies and then changing the textures. Problem is... wood likes to resize. (No pun intended.)
  • Here's a collision question...

Why is it that wildcats seem to get stuck on deployed objects?
    I was trying to make a race track and whe my wildcat hit it, it stops and jumps around a little. Is there a way to change this?
  • Nope. Wildcat only reacts to the ground unfortunately. I'm sure someone could make some sort of detection script which keeps it from getting stuck in deployables.
  • Generally if the deployable is small/thin enough, the vehicles shouldn't have too much trouble colliding with them unless you're trying to use it as a bridge or you're ramming straight into a wall.
  • Ahh... there goes my bridge idea. /sigh

If I could figure out the map editor without getting UE's maybe I could make the bridges there.
  • Ahh... there goes my bridge idea. /sigh

If I could figure out the map editor without getting UE's maybe I could make the bridges there.

Simple. Disable vertex lighting.
  • Simple. Disable vertex lighting.

Funny you should say that. I just read your same answer in another thread!

Thanks.
  • Is there a way to change this?
    Yes, but there are complications in doing so.

I wrote a set of commands long ago that performed so-called "petrification" of static deployable objects. In essence, these commands produced a cubic interior instance that was centered inside the selected static object and a tiny bit smaller, so it wouldn't be visible.

Hover vehicles can hover on interior instances just perfectly.

Deconstruction wasn't handled well, nor was rotation/repositioning/rescaling. Retrospectively, all of these issues are not difficult to overcome now (since they were all tackled as part of producing Structural Infinity).

The biggest problem were people who enabled vertex lighting on their clients. The moment any object was petrified in this manner, these clients would crash.

I'm sure I still have the code somewhere if you are interested in using it. I eventually converted it into an LSB to interior instance converter as an aid for map making for non-construction mods.
  • So basically, if I were to build my track first and then petrify my objects, then I shouldn't have any issues as long as my vertex lighting is disabled... or am I misunderstanding?

I'm not very good with code but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
    Thanks Thyth.