A couple questions...

I am an owner of a clan in Modx (a building mod) on Tribes 1. I am curious about this game, and this mod, after I got an e-mail response to a bulk e-mail that gave me a link to this site. Here are my questions:

1) How is T2 free if I cannot get a CD Key?

2) The T2 Master servers are down... Is the process to install a new one similar to the way we fixed the issue on Tribes1?

3) Why would I choose this game over one such as Legends, which still has a master server, and is actually still being developed... oh, and it has a builder mod.

4) How many people still play this game? We are looking past Tribes 1 b/c it is dying, it is on life support right now, and frankly only has a limited time left... mainly b/c there are no new players coming in, noone wants to bother with installing a master server.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am intrigued, but I am debating a course of action, and I want to make sure its the right one. The clan still intends to run its Tribes 1 server, as most of our players have no issues finding the server, or installing a master, but you know, we would hate to move into another dying game.

Thanks,

KoD

Comments

• 1) T2's master server was shut down a few months ago, cd keyes are worthless at this point.

2) I'm not quite sure about the first one, but we have a very helpful person who is re-mastering and remaking the whole master server, (you'll have to see in his terms).

3) Tribes 2 Construction Mods are quite still under development. Such as Metallic. Plus you have many optional opportunities to construction basically any structure you want at your will, like a spaceship, a tiny house, a big house, tripwires that teleport you, etc.

4) It varies, The main 'The Construct' servers were said to have about 300 users every month coming in? Something like that.

Don't give up now though, Tribes 2 is still well under the modification of another 'master-server' (check with Thyth's Terms) You can still play the game WITHOUT the master server on the construction servers, some of the people in the community managed to remaster the rogue master server list, (i think thats what it was), and managed to display all servers that have a certain file to show up in the LAN server list, yes you can play with other players in it.

It's quite interesting, but its very cool, and worth it.
  • Well, i don't really know what features and how powerful the Tribes1 construction mod is, but i would imagine that T2 Construction Mod could match them.

I think i'll come pay a visit to a server to check it out. :)

Can you building something like this on tribes1?

Fenris_thumb.jpg

Fenris Class Battle-Ship. A ship i'm making for the mod i'm working on. it is but one of the many incredible mods that have spurred forth from Construction .69A

Does Tribes1 con-mod offer ForceFields, Powered objects, A vast assortment of decorations and vehicles to mess with, or a growing community of coders dedicated to the mod's health?

Also, a handfull of our senior members are working on a whole new game in itself, dedicated to carpenter's gospel.
  • Does Tribes1 con-mod offer ForceFields, Powered objects, A vast assortment of decorations and vehicles to mess with, or a growing community of coders dedicated to the mod's health?

Also, a handfull of our senior members are working on a whole new game in itself, dedicated to carpenter's gospel.

Um, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no

I'll check it out... as soon as I find this LAN fix...

KoD
  • So um... How do you install this LAN Patch in Linux? LOl, i got T2 to work, but I can't get this damned patch to install..
  • The LAN patch doesn't work on the Linux Tribes 2. You'll have to emulate the Windows Tribes 2 or something like that.
  • Ya, thats how I got T2 to work in the first place was by emulating windows through WINE. Unfortunately WINE doesn't support BAT files... I'll see if I can figure out a way.
  • You don't need to run the batch file. You can call the patcher through the command line.
  • You could also just use the Structural Infinity executables... they're already patched

Also... where is this Legions building mod?
  • Also... where is this Legions building mod?
    Where did legions come from? He's talking about a Tribes 1 building mod.
  • I believe he meant "legends" But, I do have a copy of a "construction mod" (thats what its called), I have not as of yet tested it.

As for tribes 1, you can find our server by going to http://clanmx.info and installing the master server fix, and then finding the MX Home Server.

KoD
  • The "builder mod" for legends you mention was actually just a test for light support beam support from one of the members here. The mode switching is very limited, and it is not meant to be used for any actual building.
    The legends artwork also leaves something to be desired.

Everything relating to quality and preference is up to you of course. The mod itself is capable of very complex buildings (for starters, virtually anything you can imagine can be built using the tools and a bit of know-how), though more complex shapes can be difficult for beginners. Still, it's fairly simple to learn the basics, and anyone should be able to figure out to build a box within minutes if given proper instruction.
    Currently a lot of the players have taken a bit of a haitus, but we expect a number of new or returning players to join in the coming weeks after we've released the patch.
    To keep up to date on our more permanent master server/authentication replacement, watch this thread: http://www.the-construct.net/forums/showthread.php?t=818&goto=lastpost

To play the game with the current temporary listing scripts does not require any changes to be made to the executable (thus supports the linux client just fine). Simply drop the script in GameData/Base/, start up the game in offline mode, and you're good to go.
    Only to host in offline mode with your server on those lists will you need a modified executable.

To use more than 1024 pieces on a Structural Infinity server (such as TX), you will need a modified executable, an installer for which can be found here: http://www.the-construct.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436