Survival server idea

I had an idea that i ran by thal a couple days ago, and got some positive feedback. So here it is.. I think we should restart the survival map into a dual faction based pvp/survival map. Find a good seed that has 2 distinct continents, and everyone that plays has to be one faction or the other. No 3rd, 4th etc. No neutral factions, just 2 factions. They don't necessarily have to be at war, but if the situation calls for it, then so be it.

There will be a non-aggression period of around 1 month, so each side can build up towns, resources, food supplies etc. After that, its up to the factions on how to proceed. Each faction can choose how they will run it. If one wants a one leader leadership, or a council etc, that's up to them to decide in the 1 month grace period.

Faction names to be decided if this actually goes into effect.

Once you choose which faction you will be, there will be no switching (to prevent one side from totally emptying the others stocks.) If you do not choose a faction in a timely manner (1-2 days of playing), a faction will choose you.

Additionally, there will be no spawning of items for anyone. So be smart, and build right.

Any additions? add them below.

Comments

• This sounds quite good.... I'm behind this all the way!
  • Sounds like fun. 1 month is a long time, how about 1 week?
  • I might play this but only if the admins don't hop from island to island and spawn stuff/learn the other islands :p
  • I got an idea.
    How about big shared continent with clear border in middle, like defense structures (maybe some sort of castles?) for both factions and huge rugged battlefield between them (burning stuff, broken buildings etc.)
  • I don't have minecraft but this sounds fun, though it also sounds like King Arthurs Gold all over again lol.
  • I agree with humans completely, no admin interference at all unless its an issue (like having to kick someone). And the one isle separated by a battlefield is good, but having 2 isles would give a clear, defined border. Or if there's a seed of multiple isles, where each faction has to take each isle from the other for resources and land (since it would be scarce).
  • I agree with humans completely, no admin interference at all unless its an issue (like having to kick someone). And the one isle separated by a battlefield is good, but having 2 isles would give a clear, defined border. Or if there's a seed of multiple isles, where each faction has to take each isle from the other for resources and land (since it would be scarce).
    Reminds me of the Pacific war.
  • Naval battles!

Also:
    Blackhawk
    Diamondsword
    Doctors
    GIRTHWOOD!!!
    Squadallah Jihad
    Tribes Elite Forces
    z0r

And possibly:
    Aeon Masonry
    Order of the Hammer
    The Construction Foreman's Union
  • So, are we gunna do this?
  • I set it up. This sounds like fun.

p.wtfcraft.com

I'm running no plugins aside from Factions at this point - I think it'll do everything we need.

I'm not 100% sure that two factions is the way to go - we should start with two for sure with the way Factions work, and see what happens from there?

The map is pretty much split into continents. Factions allows each faction to claim land - and, if you go in for the kill, you can start taking land from the faction you're killing. Kinda neat.
  • Also: NPC villages - this map has a lot of them. Prebuilt starting outposts?
  • What version is the sever running? (I'm currently running 1.9 PR3)
  • can we get a general render of the map, so we can draw the lines, and the commands for factions?
  • I could be wrong but last night Thal was talking about this one: http://i.imgur.com/SyMsA.jpg
  • I could be wrong but last night Thal was talking about this one: http://i.imgur.com/SyMsA.jpg

Look at all them NPC Villages!
  • That's correct - http://i.imgur.com/SyMsA.jpg is the map. Phoenix has claimed the little village just southeast of the :o face made by lakes, haha.

The way factions works - if a clan has more power than land claimed, their land can't be touched by enemies. Each kill lowers power by 2, each player has a maximum of 10. So say Phoenix with 5 members, 50 power, has 50 chunks claimed - and 4 people get killed, leaving a power of 42 - then 8 of those chunks can be taken by the attackers by force.

It's also possible to have peaceful factions, if someone wants to start a trading village or whatnot. Peaceful factions have the option of disabling creeper explosions on their land.
  • FYI, we're using SpoutCraft here. It's not required, but you'll get clan tags over players and some improved chat features with it.

http://wiki.getspout.org/index.php?title=Downloads
  • Goods for sale at Phoenix! Come on by. We're easy to find.

http://p.wtfcraft.com/dynmap/
  • [strike]Is Pheonix the city with the main spawn?

If so im gunna create a little shack on the riverside for people to drop their boats off, and a road to the city, then ill create i signpost/landmark (Amon Hen?:D) at the rivermouth for all those seafarers.[/strike]

Logging in helps.
  • :lol: I think it would be cool if the 2 factions build, then they could have swords and stuff and fight each other
  • Seed?

• -Bear likes this