Comments

• That is simply incredible.
  • Dude, that is insane
  • This is something that I can look forward to. Might even help design ships if I look at what modeling program they use.
  • http://www.infinity-universe.com/

Lots of info and screenies there.
  • This looks like something that I'd definitely be interested in playing but I don't think I could get past the monthly fees. :(
  • ...Monthly...fees...? :< I think I read that they were trying to keep it as free as possible, charging only for "premium" content.

I really hope that empire of yours doesn't turn "premium".
  • The game will be free to play, with charging of premium content of course. The old model of 15 dollars a month is very dated.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=49

the program you need to make models for the game.
  • Not impressed. I've played another game from 1998 that did the same shit. You could seemlessly enter a planet's atmosphere and fight, the only difference was you could actually walk around on the planet and use vehicles and mine resources. And ship to ship combat wasn't so impossible as it is in this game. I've played the beta for Infinity, and it was horrible. Ship to ship combat is extremely difficult and very frustrating.

As for that video, there was no actual gameplay, just flying around. As I understand, they've been making this game for many years, and haven't done anything remarkable. I haven't seen any real content shown since I found out about this game a year and a half ago. In my opinion so far, this game is garbage.

My suggestion is; don't get any hopes up for this game. They'll just be let down.

Tl:dr version: This game has no real content, so don't bother.
  • You are talking about the unsupported alpha combat prototype..Which they haven't updated for what..5 years lol. And that was never the beta... Just saying...

Also do more reading on the game before you bash it. Or watch any number of the generation videos that they have on the website that showcase the type of technology in the game.

If you aren't impressed by what this guy has done, then you need to do more digging about the game.

All I am reading is that you looked at the cover (read it wrong in the case of calling the ICP a beta) and judged it.
  • Yeah I noticed some of those things nukem, I am just "hoping" that somebody will make a construction type mod for it. As far as actually fighting and such, im still not so sure.
  • Procedural content generation and really dynamic level of detail. That's pretty impressive from a technical standpoint, and it's the sort of game engine that I wanted to write about 10 years ago. This and "Just Cause 2" are both examples of the sort of really advanced LOD that was in academic research about 7 years ago. Looks like the tech has caught up to the point where it's practical, pretty, and known by the game engine design people.

If you're not impressed, you don't understand what you're looking at.
  • You are talking about the unsupported alpha combat prototype..Which they haven't updated for what..5 years lol. And that was never the beta... Just saying...

Also do more reading on the game before you bash it. Or watch any number of the generation videos that they have on the website that showcase the type of technology in the game.

If you aren't impressed by what this guy has done, then you need to do more digging about the game.

All I am reading is that you looked at the cover (read it wrong in the case of calling the ICP a beta) and judged it.

Then it must have been the alpha then, not a beta. After all it was a year ago when I last played it.

Also, know that I have done my reading and watched most of the videos about this game. When I heard about it last year, I was interested, but that interest was lost when I found no real finished content, just concepts and cheap ripoffs of other games. If they have done something truly original and fun, I would be interested, but that sadly isn't so.

So before you start assuming anything, know that I have read about the game, and have no interest in it what so ever. Personally I think it's a bit of a joke.
    If you're not impressed, you don't understand what you're looking at.

I said I wasn't impressed because the lack of content, not because of shiny technical and graphical fluff the game seems to be all about. I could honestly care less if you can fly through a planet's rings and fly in it's atmosphere. Sure it's cool, but I prefer real gameplay instead of the "oooooo shiny" factor.

It's personal taste and opinion. You might prefer the technical and graphical fluff, while I'll choose real content over eye-candy any day. If I simply saw some real content in gameplay footage, I would have a different opinion. But so far there's nothing. I was honestly hoping Shane's video would change my opinion, instead it just reinforced it.
  • I think i may keep an eye on it, but im just hoping they dont get lost in detail, making gameplay shit, i mean, thats what most games have these days, if you can look past the sheen, its just muck...
  • If its going to be free, then thats even more insane.
  • There is no alpha....

From the website about the ICP (Infinity combat prototype)

"The Infinity Combat Prototype (latest version: 2.2.a) is a standalone game that has been released and improved upon the past months, as a way to test many components of Infinity before it is finished.
    This is a completely separate program that only shares the engine. It does not represent what you will find in Infinity. Its goal is, namely, to test: the graphics engine, the physics engine, the networking engine, experiment with controls / combat mechanics / balance, to improve stability/fix bugs and measure/stress performance.

The combat prototype is not meant to have a deep gameplay; do not expect any form of planetary landing. 10 ships are available to the players. The gameplay is arena (team vs team) based, while Infinity will be a fully open "sandbox" type of game.
    "

What exactly does this game rip-off? What game out there can do anything close to what this game can already do Pre-alpha?

don't say eve for your sake.
  • The problem is, you don't understand the implications of what you've seen, and you're fixating on the superficial trivialities. When you build an environment using a set of procedural rules, the environment can be interactive and reactive according to those same rules.

One of the biggest immersion killers in games that aim for realistic graphics is a static environment. Sure, it can be pretty and all, but when everything is invincible and non-reactive, I can't say gameplay is really all that interesting. You can't make a star go nova in EVE, or send a few asteroids onto a collision course with a planet. You can't bounce off the atmosphere when being chased on reentry.

When you procedurally build an environment with rules like gravity, air resistance, thermodynamics, you get something a hell of a lot more interesting than an environment that only expresses the features that the designers thought would be interesting. You get something much more real.

But, by all means, fixate superficially. There are plenty of games that cater to that sort of shallow appreciation.
  • Blah blah blah, stuff.

I'm all for a dynamic and interactive environment, but I'm not talking about that.
    There is no alpha....

From the website about the ICP (Infinity combat prototype)

"The Infinity Combat Prototype (latest version: 2.2.a) is a standalone game that has been released and improved upon the past months, as a way to test many components of Infinity before it is finished.
    This is a completely separate program that only shares the engine. It does not represent what you will find in Infinity. Its goal is, namely, to test: the graphics engine, the physics engine, the networking engine, experiment with controls / combat mechanics / balance, to improve stability/fix bugs and measure/stress performance.

The combat prototype is not meant to have a deep gameplay; do not expect any form of planetary landing. 10 ships are available to the players. The gameplay is arena (team vs team) based, while Infinity will be a fully open "sandbox" type of game.
    "

What exactly does this game rip-off? What game out there can do anything close to what this game can already do Pre-alpha?

don't say eve for your sake.

Do you really think I based my opinion ONLY from the alpha/prototype/whatever the hell it is? If so, get that out of your thick skull now, because I'm not. I'm basing it off of the media they released, and sadly there isn't much else than flying around a planet or scattered combat scenes.

Universal Combat is such a game that has similar gameplay that Infinity has. And yes, even EVE in few aspects, but that's unavoidable unfortunately. Then again most of EVE's content is very very similar to what's in Universal Combat, hell even most of the ships look alike. I remember reading somewhere on Infinity's website about corporations and alliances fighting eachother, plans of a dynamic market system, and I've heard rumors of some form of an agent based mission system. I remember this big argument in EVE's forums about it and how it was such a ripoff.

But this isn't about EVE, any good online space sim would sadly be similar to EVE in some way. This is really about Universal Combat. It's been years since I played it, so I wont be exact with most things. For the most part, you could fly around and interact with planets and moons. Land on them and fight, or go off out deep in space and fight there too.

This game's content is too similar to Universal Combat. As far as EVE goes, the minor similarities are acceptable and could very possibly be coincidence for all I know. I'm not saying they ripped off EVE, they likely didn't intend for there to be similarities between the two, but I do believe they ripped off Universal Combat as far as exploration and (from what I've seen so far) combat.

Also, as a note, since you seem to be fixed about the graphical and technical shit, I want you to know that's not what I'm looking at and I don't care about it. So before you say something about the tech differences and how no other game has the specifics of what this one does, understand that I'm referring to the general concept atmospheric flight.

I have not seen any new content, other then the planets. I am unimpressed by this. You two are dragging in topics that I'm not even referring too. A huge dynamic environment is useless if you can't do anything interesting with it other than shooting people and fly around.

Why you're arguing with me about my personal opinion is beyond me, you're not going to change it by attempting to make me look foolish.

Tl:dr version: Yes there is a game similar, Universal Combat; pics below. Stop arguing about my personal opinion, you wont change it.
    • 01.jpg
    • 02.jpg
    • 03.jpg
    • 04.jpg
    • 05.jpg
    • 06.jpg
    02.jpg 288.8K
    04.jpg 226.9K
    05.jpg 198.7K
    05.jpg 198.7K
  • There is no alpha....
    (latest version: 2.2.a)

usually when something has A in its version number, its alpha.
  • What I see so far...

EVE-like exploration and backstory driven by players. (Probably similar guild types too)
    Allegiance-like combat. (but obviously much simpler right now. I know combat will be a big part of the game on release if the dev's get what they want)
    Massive universe similar to EVE but about 4 billion times larger and with physics more realistic than CoD if that is possible.

I am not really that big a fan of games made after things that could happen in real life... kinda defeats the purpose for me. Well they are lucky that I have no plans to explore the galaxy in an anti-matter propelled destroyer sized exploration rig in real life so... Kinda looking forward to it.
    If they actually finish it the way they have made it sound so far my hopes in video game development will be rekindled.
    Originally Spore was going to be very complicated with chemical physics for the planets and many more things to do. They totally ruined it.
  • What I see so far...

EVE-like exploration and backstory driven by players. (Probably similar guild types too)
    Allegiance-like combat. (but obviously much simpler right now. I know combat will be a big part of the game on release if the dev's get what they want)
    Massive universe similar to EVE but about 4 billion times larger and with physics more realistic than CoD if that is possible.

I am not really that big a fan of games made after things that could happen in real life... kinda defeats the purpose for me. Well they are lucky that I have no plans to explore the galaxy in an anti-matter propelled destroyer sized exploration rig in real life so... Kinda looking forward to it.
    If they actually finish it the way they have made it sound so far my hopes in video game development will be rekindled.
    Originally Spore was going to be very complicated with chemical physics for the planets and many more things to do. They totally ruined it.

no they didnt, those physics are on a scale pcs as of current cannot handle, even by todays standards, physics of that nature (far as i know, at least.) still cant handle them, and this guy is likely going to run into the same problem, 200billion planets all with their own dynamic environment?

hmm... sounds too good as of now, i know servers can handle large scales of everything, but ill be fucked if they pull that off.
  • I have not seen any new content, other then the planets. I am unimpressed by this. You two are dragging in topics that I'm not even referring too. A huge dynamic environment is useless if you can't do anything interesting with it other than shooting people and fly around.

I have quoted the most important part of my previous post, in case Thyth and Shane do not see it in my sea of text. They're arguing with me on points I'm not concerned with.

Once more, for the thick headed. I am unimpressed by the lack of content for gameplay, there isn't much point of having a big dynamic galaxy if you can't do anything more than shoot things and fly around, and I have seen nothing else besides these two activities in any media released. I am not referring to the technical or graphical parts of the game IN ANY WAY, but rather the actual GAMEPLAY.

Stop changing my argument. And stop arguing with me about my opinion, you'll only change it if you provide proof (via screenshot or video), that there's something else to do in this game besides the two activities listed above.
  • Of course I don't think you based on your opinion solely on the ICP. For someone to download it and play it and claim its the beta/alpha, and also to have claimed to read up on it....That is different. If you did in fact read up on the game you would have known the ICP is not any way shape or form what infinity is aiming to be.

And the game is in the natural development cycle. Of course there isn't going to be a large section of media. To call this game a joke is just silly. When eve was under production (or WoW) there was very limited media. Heck there were videos of them just flying around. No combat...You see my point?

I may be arguing your opinion, even if it is misguided. I am just trying to point out some obvious flaws in your judgement of this game. That is all.

You are also over generalizing common gameplay aspects present in almost every mmo. Combat in space is going to be generally the same through out any space sim game. Apart from the abysmal combat system in eve.

"I remember reading somewhere on Infinity's website about corporations and alliances fighting eachother, plans of a dynamic market system, and I've heard rumors of some form of an agent based mission system. I remember this big argument in EVE's forums about it and how it was such a ripoff."

By that logic every mmo ripped off everquest because they had large social clubs or "guilds" or what ever you want to call them. Agent based missioned...please....npc quests, doesn't matter what you call it, its the same. To call that a ripoff is just silly.

You might as well say that using lasers in space would be a clear rip off form eve as well
  • I would also like to point out if you really did read, you would have read all the gameplay elements they are in the process of adding :).

Death, read up on procedural generation, then you will know how they pull it off.
  • Of course I don't think you based on your opinion solely on the ICP. For someone to download it and play it and claim its the beta/alpha, and also to have claimed to read up on it....That is different. If you did in fact read up on the game you would have known the ICP is not any way shape or form what infinity is aiming to be.

And the game is in the natural development cycle. Of course there isn't going to be a large section of media. To call this game a joke is just silly. When eve was under production (or WoW) there was very limited media. Heck there were videos of them just flying around. No combat...You see my point?

I may be arguing your opinion, even if it is misguided. I am just trying to point out some obvious flaws in your judgement of this game. That is all.

You are also over generalizing common gameplay aspects present in almost every mmo. Combat in space is going to be generally the same through out any space sim game. Apart from the abysmal combat system in eve.

"I remember reading somewhere on Infinity's website about corporations and alliances fighting eachother, plans of a dynamic market system, and I've heard rumors of some form of an agent based mission system. I remember this big argument in EVE's forums about it and how it was such a ripoff."

By that logic every mmo ripped off everquest because they had large social clubs or "guilds" or what ever you want to call them. Agent based missioned...please....npc quests, doesn't matter what you call it, its the same. To call that a ripoff is just silly.

You might as well say that using lasers in space would be a clear rip off form eve as well

Please read the previous post. Also, I thought I made it clear enough for you to understand that I thought Infinity wasn't a ripoff of EVE... Apparently you can't see that and should consider re-reading my post.
    I would also like to point out if you really did read, you would have read all the gameplay elements they are in the process of adding :).

Planning to add, and actually doing it are two different things. THIS IS WHY I'M NOT IMPRESSED.

Bolded the important part for you, since you're having trouble understanding. This game has been in how many years of development now? And still nothing? This is why I'm not interested. They've taken so long and haven't done anything.
    Of course I don't think you based on your opinion solely on the ICP. For someone to download it and play it and claim its the beta/alpha, and also to have claimed to read up on it....That is different. If you did in fact read up on the game you would have known the ICP is not any way shape or form what infinity is aiming to be.

This caught my attention, when did I claim the ICP to be "what infinity is aiming to be?"

Please, by all means, point that out. I said I played it and thought it was horrible, never did I once say this is what the final product would be. It's not the point I'm arguing about. Also, the only reason I claimed it to be an alpha was because of your post. It's underlined incase you don't see it.
    You are talking about the unsupported alpha combat prototype..Which they haven't updated for what..5 years lol. And that was never the beta... Just saying...
  • I wonder who gets the last word in this nice little argument about opinions.
  • He should just lock it. I think we've derailed the thread enough.
  • So back on topic. Empires of great vastness!
  • Count me in :)
    No monthly fee!