The-Construct Master Server

Comments

• Made another quick fix to the file, added messages to the function that applies GUIDs to allow the SA/A markings in the lobby appear.
  • I've been working on my long term replacement system for the authentication server. Most of the server side management/login is done.

My ToDo list is as follows:
    1) Finalize exactly how this login process initializes with the start of a client's connection. I'm hoping to put the client in a sort of semi-joined "limbo" while the server verifies their key information, with ordinary loading after verification. (Mostly figured out)
    2) Complete/Debug an MD5 sum computing function. (About half way done)
    3) Complete/Debug the big-integer script. (About a third of the way done)
    4) Write the client side account creation wizard, and client logic. (Not started)
    5) Write the authentication authority key signing program. (Not started)
    6) Write the first (centralized) list server. (Not started)
    - Make a public beta release at this point-
    7) Start thinking about t-mail, browser, and chat replacements.

So far, the verification workload of the game server is relatively light. The game server needs to preform at most 2 modular exponentiations (using very small exponents). The first is to verify the integrity of the authentication authority signature on the client delivered key. The second is to verify the client has the private key they claim they have.
  • That sounds complicating........
  • Thyth often makes his things sound complicated. :p
  • Hey! Idea!

Maybe we could make it so TCMS can allow people on LAN and people online to play together! :)
    It would be some work, though, since LAN peoples don't have GUIDs...
  • That's exactly why I'm making the TIDNS...

I'm making a thread that explains the whole process as we speak, for constructive criticism and such.
  • Hey! Idea!

Maybe we could make it so TCMS can allow people on LAN and people online to play together! :)
    It would be some work, though, since LAN peoples don't have GUIDs...
    It would be some work because LAN players can't query or connect to online servers, and I believe it is the same case vice versa.

There would need to be more modification to the T2 executable to remove those checks... and somehow do it without breaking compatibility with unmodified T2 clients.
  • Now that you've said something, it seems like a pipe dream...
    Thinking too fast seems less likely to make things that work.
  • #4(Thyth's List) Would actually help get more people into tribes who get a copy from others. From there, they could create their own accounts and use the other points thyth mentioned.
  • You do realize that the list is a to-do list for my authentication replacement system?
  • I've been working on my long term replacement system for the authentication server. Most of the server side management/login is done.

My ToDo list is as follows:

yep...
  • long term
    It hasn't been that long, has it?
  • It hasn't been that long, has it?
    It isn't about how long the official servers have been offline... it is about meeting authentication needs for T2 in a permanent manner, not just the stop-gap temporary systems.

Krash's system, while it works, has some pretty serious security flaws. There is no way to achieve perfect forward secrecy using symmetric cryptography (in this case, the secret auth code key), thus, there will always be severe weakpoints in such an authentication system.

If I installed that system on Clockworks, and started logging every use of that command with the corresponding GUID, I could impersonate anyone that logged in using my server.

The more servers that participate in the authentication scheme, the weaker it becomes to tampering.
  • If I installed that system on Clockworks, and started logging every use of that command with the corresponding GUID, I could impersonate anyone that logged in using my server.
    I was thinking about that...
  • when I connect to the construct server after imputting my auth number i get kicked out and can't reconnect for a couple minutes. What's the problem?
  • What does it say when you try to reconnect?
  • the last thing it says, because I can't remember precisely the entire message is that the server is cycling missions.

I'll try again and come back in a few to give you the exact message.
  • What does it say when you get kicked out? "You're connection to the server was lost."?
  • Thyth, I suppose you want me to finish that Login GUI eh?
  • i just got kicked again but this time it didn't say anything, and I could reconnect immediately. Weird...
  • "Your connection to the server was lost"
  • Either its a server issue or connection issue on your part.
  • that doesn't help much.
  • Probably just a blip.
    If I installed that system on Clockworks, and started logging every use of that command with the corresponding GUID, I could impersonate anyone that logged in using my server.

The more servers that participate in the authentication scheme, the weaker it becomes to tampering.
    I had considered the issue, but as the script wasn't really intended as a permanent solution, it didn't seem quite necessary to go into a more thoroughly secured system.

As it stands, I'd recommend using the code only on servers you'd trust not to make use of it to their own ends, or using the "Reset Auth Code" option in the UserCP if you believe your code may be compromised. It'd usually be limited to one or two resets pre day, but isn't at the moment.
  • I had considered the issue, but as the script wasn't really intended as a permanent solution, it didn't seem quite necessary to go into a more thoroughly secured system.
    Exactly. My system is designed to be a permanent solution.
  • You guys both beat my temporary solution... oh well, it's still an important project for me.