Sierra shutting down master servers

Comments

• Woot Hes Done!!!!!
    A. Wtf Is It?
    B. I Like Ducks!
    And
    9. Why Wont My Caps Lock Go Off?!?!?!?!?
  • any posts

*bump*
    *bump*
    *bump*
    *bump o my god there goes a window!!!* ;)

Umm ultra this is off topic but i made purple duck in blue checker crap on google sketch up tried to make it my avitar but it just says the custom avitar thing why?any ideas on how to fix it?
  • We've run into a handful of bugs in the small group testing, including one that would have incorrectly treated 1/16 of the account certificates generated as invalid when joining a game server. This was relatively easy to fix, but it goes to show that there are still potential bugs that are unforeseeable until you start testing in larger groups.

For most of the testing group users, the experience was straightforward and flawless. However, we did run into some very serious issues when working with Krash's account, that we are trying to trace.

In the interests of user experience, we are going to address the show-stopper bugs before general release. Still, there are a few users on the forums here who would be happy to share their preview experiences with you.
  • We've run into a handful of bugs in the small group testing, including one that would have incorrectly treated 1/16 of the account certificates generated as invalid when joining a game server. This was relatively easy to fix, but it goes to show that there are still potential bugs that are unforeseeable until you start testing in larger groups.

For most of the testing group users, the experience was straightforward and flawless. However, we did run into some very serious issues when working with Krash's account, that we are trying to trace.

In the interests of user experience, we are going to address the show-stopper bugs before general release. Still, there are a few users on the forums here who would be happy to share their preview experiences with you.

"very serious issues"? :O

Oh well, it's good to know that most of the patch is comeplete, I guess it shouldn't be very much longer then. :)

Good luck with everything. :)
  • is this new master server patch going to be a zip, vl2 or an exe?
  • In the interests of user experience, we are going to address the show-stopper bugs before general release. Still, there are a few users on the forums here who would be happy to share their preview experiences with you.

Yeah, The new system works out great. The new login system is very user friendly, and it doesn't take that long to get everything up and running. And yes, Tribes next users can connect to TC Patch servers.
  • oooooooooo yay!!!
  • and noone anwsered my question....
  • Woot Hes Done!!!!!
    A. Wtf Is It?

I can't believe your asking "WTF IS IT".......
    Its the new server, so we can play and have Tmail again...
  • But we can play and what is Tmail? Should i start listining to Elec, Krash, Blnukem and Chief?
  • Tsk I thought the system was P2P, with an authentication server to create new accounts, instead of a master server that, if brought down, could bring the entire game to another crashing halt.
  • Tsk I thought the system was P2P, with an authentication server to create new accounts, instead of a master server that, if brought down, could bring the entire game to another crashing halt.
    What the fuck is that supposed to mean? How is an "authentication server" different from a "master server"?

I explicitly stated that the authentication server must be online in order to create accounts. It does not need to be online to log in or connect to servers.

It seems like the location I was using fell victim to some sort of Year 2009 bug, similar to the Zunes, and I relocated that server to a system under my direct control and supervision. Part of the design of the system is such that I can move the authentication server around, and bring it back online in a matter of minutes, in the event of system failure.

Since only account generation and credential retrieval are affected by downtime of that server, it isn't a big deal. If you get an offline message, then make sure I know it is down (via IRC, or AIM), and wait a few minutes while I move it and bring it back online.
  • But we can play and what is Tmail? Should i start listining to Elec, Krash, Blnukem and Chief?
    You need to pay closer attention.
  • Purple Duck is a relatively new player, I think he's played for about a year, maybe less. I guess the browser has been gone for a while.
  • He said he didn't even know what Thyth/Krash are working on. This has been a sticky'd thread for a while.

I guess you're right, he has been gone for a while.
  • What the fuck is that supposed to mean? How is an "authentication server" different from a "master server?"

lets face it, SnowFire needs a home. :]

lol Thyth swore!
  • lol Thyth swore!

Well, it's nothing new, Thyth tends to swear every now and then, I guess not often though.
  • The Downloads Page has been enabled :D
  • hey guys, the DL page on the tribes next site is up.
    I said that yesterday
    :p
  • What the fuck is that supposed to mean? How is an "authentication server" different from a "master server"?

I explicitly stated that the authentication...

Thyth, that was too well spoken to sound angry.
    This is angry:

"what the fuck are you talking about, you fucking noob?!How the fuck is an auth server different from a master server?"

That is how it is done.
    Practice sessions are on saturday, you are welcome to join...
  • Just in case anyone misinterpreted the information in the thread, I want to stress that Tmail will not be available in the initial release. We are set on reviving all the community features in time, but this release will only include the basics.

We did intend to release yesterday, but we ran into enough bugs in our last minute small-group testing that it made the most sense to wait until we had them fixed. Needless to say, we've so far fixed most of the issues (major and minor), and you can anticipate a release very soon.
  • is it released already? i click the link, and its just a blank page
  • We did intend to release yesterday, but we ran into enough bugs in our last minute small-group testing that it made the most sense to wait until we had them fixed. Needless to say, we've so far fixed most of the issues (major and minor), and you can anticipate a release very soon.

January 2nd or 3rd should do fine. :)
  • ack ack?

probably be released tomoro
  • is it released already? i click the link, and its just a blank page

No, it hasn't been released just yet, but it should be "very soon."
  • this is off topic>
    will the new master stop UEs from occuring?
  • OMG u pissed Thyth off!
    Thyth swares a lot just mainly at me :D
  • thanks.
    is a "swares" a type of vase?
  • Unhandled Exceptions can occur for about 4 dozen different reasons, and are manifestations of bugs in the game's executable code. You can't just magically fix them.
  • Dont ya love Thyths bad news But he makes it sound soo good
    Good job Thyth