Comments

• Well, that was bound to happen eventually. I guess I should finish that new auth/list system.
  • I've expected this... I'm very disappointed... And now I am speechless... :(
  • Well, that was bound to happen eventually. I guess I should finish that new auth/list system.

How is that going to work?
  • Conceptually, it will work in a very similar way to the existing system, but not controlled by Sierra, and a touch more decentralized for system longevity purposes. The details are a bit complicated, and not really essential to know in order to use it.

The only unfinished thing really required for my system is a Tribes 2 executable with a Ruby interpreter integrated. Turkey created such an executable, but the integration of Ruby crashes when running certain code.

The core of the system is cryptographic identity provisioning, which I wrote in Ruby, and you can download the code here: http://absolous.no-ip.com/files/crypto.rb

With a robust Ruby integration into T2, and a handful of GUIs for creating accounts, my new system could be put into place pretty easily. Of course, nobody (except Turkey) was interested in helping me out when I suggested this plan of action. Maybe the deadline of impending doom will increase that interest.
  • I think we all knew this would happen eventually, but I'd hoped it'd be around a bit longer.

You know we're always willing to help out with projects, we just need specifics and motivation. I can throw together the GUIs if need be, just throw over the details.
  • How's that Inter-Process Communication coming? :p
  • AVP 2 is on the list? Son of a bitch that game rocks..... those bastards
  • About fucking time.
  • if you seriously need help, i'm in.
  • I'll throw around some code, but, I'm not the best at GUI.
  • I'm quite handy with Tribes 2 script. Let me know if you need some extra help on that end; I'd be happy to offer anything I can.
  • How's that Inter-Process Communication coming? :p
    I think there might be a simpler solution to that. Each thread in W32 gets 1 MB of per-thread stack space. Running Ruby in a separate thread should alleviate the stack size limitations of running the second interpreter and game in the same stack space.

Threads are easier to synchronize, lighter weight, faster, and less complicated. I can just do a spin-lock in the primary thread, and use a queue for handling calls to tsEval through Ruby. Assuming nobody tries to use Ruby threads in the executed Ruby code, it should work well enough for the short term.

I think the goal should be to get a working system together as quickly as possible, and provide a mechanism for delivering fixes through auto-update. Single threaded Ruby execution is fine for the purposes of the cryptographic core, which is all we need for the system right now.
  • so, basically, if we needed to, you could have the system up and running now?
  • Not quite.

By the way, I'll be registering a domain name for it to be distributed off of, but I haven't decided on one yet. What do you guys think it should be?
    A couple ideas so far are:

tribesnet
    tribesnext
    tribestwo
  • Looks like the Eclipse toolchain that I'm using is having some problems with the final linking step, so I'll need to fix the toolchain problems before I can compile the shared library. Maybe I'll use icl instead of g++, and hopefully avoid any runtime library dependency issues.
  • Not quite.

By the way, I'll be registering a domain name for it to be distributed off of, but I haven't decided on one yet. What do you guys think it should be?
    A couple ideas so far are:

tribesnet
    tribesnext
    tribestwo
    "tribes4ever" ?
  • tribes3.org?
  • Ya no when I joined onto the tribes 2 online servers I felt like it was one of those things that would last forever, this news is troubleing in the manner that now I have to send hate mail to Sierra and Myspace.
  • Ya no when I joined onto the tribes 2 online servers I felt like it was one of those things that would last forever, this news is troubleing in the manner that now I have to send hate mail to Sierra and Myspace.

Why MySpace?
  • Tribesnextgen.com?
    or just Tribesnext.com
  • "tribescontinues.net"
  • "tribescontinues.net"

Lol.

"forgetsierra.net"
  • Maybe I'll just pick one out sometime this week and we can have a poll or something for an additional domain sometime if needed. I've got an idea for a design that should look alright, but we will need people to submit some content... screenshots, videos, additional files and the like - or ideas for files or fixes to be included in the full installer will help too. We could stick your names in some additional credits even.

I'll probably make a thread where you guys can submit what you like tomorrow, but in the mean time you can just post here or send me a PM if you like.
  • Looks like process isolation is the only way to go as far as stably integrating Ruby. I've spent the last few days mucking around with different in-process isolation mechanisms, none of which seem to have produced measurable improvement.

I've built a bare Ruby interpreter executable that includes mechanisms for interfacing with the T2 console, and I'm just going to use process creation via the DLL that T2 is set to load. Still, the system is getting there, and should be online well before the 1st of November.
  • tribes 2 :( even though i haven't played much in the last 6-8 months this is terrible news.
    glad i still lurk these forums so i can find this stuff out.

btw, tribesnext sounds good.
  • I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with the thread at v2rebellion.com, but one of the admins contacted Activision to see if it was possible to buy the rights to T2. They're asking for a hundred grand right now. I seriously doubt that we'll be able to scrounge up that kind of money by November, but maybe they'll take pity on us and keep the serves up for an extra day.

Also, how long until the alternative servers go up? You guys are our only hope. =P
  • Well, if they want, they can tell Vivendi that there is a 3rd party project that will take over master servers before the designated shutdown date for the official server, and that Vivendi is losing out on a huge opportunity.

I'm about 90% done with the Ruby interface, which I think will be done in under a week. There is just process stream handling to do now. All of the other stuff should be completable by the 1st of November.
  • ^
    Bastard. Dickcheese. Faggot. Fuckstick. Dipshit. Dickhead. Twatbucket. Assclown. Cocksucker. Mingeflaps. Nobgoblin. Wanker. Douchebag.
    AWesome, I'ma use this to insult bullies XD :lol:
  • Well, if they want, they can tell Vivendi that there is a 3rd party project that will take over master servers before the designated shutdown date for the official server, and that Vivendi is losing out on a huge opportunity.
    Yep, online sale and distribution is a huge growth market for games, even when they're getting on in years - or perhaps even more so since 5 or 10 dollars is a much more inviting price to the average gamer. Activision just seems to want to lose the "dead weight" from their merger, and doesn't have any reason to put effort into it. If they did fix it up, at the very least it should cover the expenses of leaving the server running indefinitely, if not begin to revitalize profits from the franchise itself. They could even sell a "Tribes Pack" with 1, 2, and Vengeance included for a bit more (maybe $20/$30), or even a "Starsiege Universe" pack with everything from Earthsiege to Cyberstorm to Tribes itself for $40-$50.

Tell you what, when the site is ready, we can use a download counter or a poll and try to get as many people as we can to participate in it. That way, we can look at the results of a bit of hands-on research and wonder exactly how much they thought they'd be in the hole by fixing it.
    Think about it:
    - 1000 people willing to pay $10 translates out to $10,000.
    - 5000 people willing to pay $5 would bring in $25,000
    - and so on...