Sierra shutting down master servers

Comments

• Hi Krash,

I myself am not a con player but I need to let you know that we will most likely still be able to log in to servers that are still running. I'm one of the ewo staff and if you could please contact lonewolf8 to find out how to set up the direct login it would be awesome. We did this before at ewo when the master server went down and they have it set up so you can just click on a shrtcut and it will log you in. I am in the process of contacting as many admins as I can to get them to coordinate with the ewo staff. I believe the con mod is still an integral part of how t2 players interact with the game. I might even try it myself sometime. :heart: For now, tho we just need to get the admins aware of their possible options in the absence of a master server.
    :simma: Helbourne :simma:

P.S. I had to put spaces around the @ symbol as it won't let me post a url ;)
  • Hi from Helbourne,

Hope this works. Get in touch w/ lonewolf8 by emailing to [email protected]. Also check out the forums at www.elitewarriorsonline.com. Thanks and good luck. Long live T2!
  • We're actually quite well prepared for it - as you might've picked up from this thread, we'll be releasing a fully equiped online version of the game when it's ready. That is - authentication, as well as master listing to start - followed by browser, tmail, chat and such eventually. :)

During previous downtimes we've always had at least one of our 24/7 servers up and joinable, and even written rudimentary master server scripts (such as the one you may have seen posted on a few tribes sites last year).
  • Sounds good bro. What I'd like to see is the various server admins pooling their resources. Some of Lonewolf8's friends are also working on rev. engineering the master using perl scripts and what not. Lonewolf8 has offered to share the scripts he uses to do a raw login. In my earlier post I said to email him but it would be better to regiter on ewo site and pm him. Even if you don't need this info tho you should check out some of their forums. Who knows maybe between your techies and their's we could rebuild the master even faster.

-Helbourne-
  • Hey, I read that post on Activision's offer. Interesting! I going to take a poll on a few forum to see how many people would be willing to pay $500 to buy a share in the rights to T2. I figured 200 x $500 = $100.000. Hence all we would need is 200 on board. We then start up a non-profit org to create a central T2 entity. The
    npo could generate revenue thru grants perhaps or by tribal support. Anyway, crazy idea I guess, but I would definitely kick in $500 for my share. The first vote is cast , who is with me! :simma: Helbourne :simma:
  • How about you use my authentication system and pay me $100,000 instead?

Even if you get Vivendi to sell you rights to the game, you'll need somebody to figure out how the master and listing servers even work. The only people with that information are likely the people who originally designed that system and were fired by Sierra/Vivendi/Whoever in 2001. If they still had the expertise in house, they would have properly rereleased the game in 2004 without the need to use CD keys to generate accounts, and they would have been able to keep the IRC/Tmail/Browser system online this year.

If you think that you'll be able to find 200 people to spend $500 and you will magically have saved the game, I think you drastically overestimate what the rights to the game will give you. You're still thinking about weeks to get the auth and master server systems functional, and you're STILL going to need to release a patch to the game that points the master DNS hosts to where your new servers will be.

As far as reverse engineering the existing authentication protocol for a reimplementation, I hope Lonewolf8 and his team have the computational capabilities to factor a large semi-prime. The authentication system built into the game is based on WON, and thus is loaded with cryptographic verification routines designed to prevent a rogue authentication server, or the spoofing of player accounts in online servers. The listing protocol, in comparison, is dirt simple -- I completely reverse engineered that about 3 years ago when creating the Rogue Master Server system for T2.

I also hope that if Lonewolf8's team decides to reimplement authentication in T2 script, they make sure to design it in a way that neither a server operator, nor other players can pretend to be anyone they are not. In effect, I hope that system maintains perfect forward secrecy for identification. If that team has managed to do that in a manner other than asymmetric cryptography, I'd really like to hear how. If, on the other hand, their system relies on nobody being able to break it, nobody being able to store credientials, or nobody being able to figure out how it works (i.e. "locked up" in a DSO), it will be broken before the year is over.

I'll briefly explain how I designed my system, which you may forward to Lonewolf8 and the related team. Firstly, with the help of Linker and Insane Turkey, we have produced a set of T2 executables that we can expand in capability using high level C and C++ that is loaded into the game memory space on startup via a DLL. We have reverse engineered an interface into the game's script system and script related sensitive variables, as well as enabled modification of any functionality run by the game in high level. This gives us the flexibility to do whatever we desire to the game code on a level greater than any other group has achieved. To that end, I have started working on a process isolated integration of the Ruby scripting language into T2, and I am about 90% done.

The built in script interpreter built into the game is riddled with bugs that make it impossible to implement usable speed asymmetric cryptography. Ruby, however, has no such limitations, and I was able to implement the RSA cryptosystem and SHA1 in pure Ruby, and access that functionality from the game. My system uses the RSA asymmetric cryptosystem to achieve perfect forward secrecy -- in laymans terms, PlayerA can prove to ServerA that they are the real PlayerA without giving ServerA the ability to pretend that ServerA is the real PlayerA. No matter how crafty ServerA is, ServerA cannot spoof PlayerA.

In technical terms (if Lonewolf8 is interested, but otherwise you can ignore this), an account creation involves the player generating an RSA keypair (private and public). The public key is part of the account that is signed by the authentication server. The private key is secret, and it is never given to the authentication server, game servers, or to any other player. When an account is created, it is signed by my authentication server's private key. You can't change account details without invalidating the signature. When you join a game server, it verifies the signature with my authentication server's public key to make sure it really came from my authentication server, and that no details have been changed after it was signed. Once the authentication server's signature matches, the server asks the client to sign a random token, and verifies the signature with the public key the client gives the server. Since it is impossible to determine the private key from a public key (short of factoring a 1024-bit semi-prime, which would take a few thousand years on a fast computer), the system is secure from tampering at all levels.
  • Hello, this thread was linked to the v2rebellion site. I know you don't know me but I just wanted to say good luck with your project. I think all T2 disk spammers appreciate the work your doing. I know Lonewolf and Hellborne and I know they mean well. I'd like to help but I'm not a programmer or script writer, I'd just get in your way.

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks, and if your offering classes on how to do what your doing to save T2... I'd sign up!
  • About the domain name.
    How about Tribesrevolution
    or Tribes-revolution
  • Thyth:

So - question to clarify - I'm a well-seasoned web developer.

Are you going to script a browser shell within the game and point it's default page to a web site?

It seems it would be easiest to turn the community aspects and account aspects into a web-based environment than programming that functionality into the game's UI shell.

Particularly if some of the functionality is coming from a perl/ruby environment - the same server could handle that with just a web front end.

To clarify:

Tribes 2 loads up - click browser / community - loads up a rudimentary browser shell that loads a website from which you can perform clan / account / community tasks.

"The Matrix Online" uses this for in game "newspapers" and also "Joint Operations" uses a very ghetto method of this - they actually take you out of the game and launch your native web browser which I would not recommend from a usability stand point.

Thoughts?

I read over your system basics - would love to hear more about it - what I did read, it seems you are off to more than a good start.

Also - I'm doing some research but I have a faint memory of knowing someone who worked at garage games or on the torque gaming engine. I'm trying to contact them. They were working back in 2000 which is when the game was still on the shelves.

I bought Tribes 2 for $54.99 - crazy eh?

Thank you!
    27X-A
  • The objective is to focus on authentication and server listing for the moment. If people are able to create new accounts, find servers, and play the game, that is already more than what the existing system can do. The only communication that happens to my authentication system is during account creation. Verification is entirely offline, thanks to the nature of asymmetric cryptography; in fact, if my authentication server is down for a short while, the only thing that would be impacted is the ability to create new accounts.

I also want to clarify that the Ruby interpreter is being integrated into the game side only. There are no stipulations that the community side browser/tmail/chat must run Ruby (in fact, I wouldn't for performance reasons), and for the moment, I wrote the authentication server itself in Java. Design of the browser/tmail/chat system is still mostly up in the air, and I'm pretty open to suggestions once the core is in place.

With just over 2 weeks to go, I don't want to get distracted with components outside of the core. I'm incorporating a basic auto-update system (which, for the start will only have the capability to update itself). Once the system is online, I will be able to push out patches in a non-disruptive manner.
  • Sounds great!

I don't know what my time table will be like - but I could potentially at least get a database structure for the community side of things outlined. How to manage communications and accounts etc, that way we can go from there. By all means, first things first - focus onward!

Yeah - ruby's web speed is not all that great.

Thanks for all your hard work!
  • Helbourne , Thyth , 27X-A,

I would also like to help. I am MS certified in C# (like Java) and was pointed over by a vet in another talk. I'm rep'ing Rumble of WAR but we are all in this together, and I am glad there are so many good and seasoned developers on it as well.

We run our site and forums fro rftribes d o t Kom and /forums, but Defender game me TribalCombat dot com and I just registered tribes2spaceDOT com. (i CANNOT POST urlS FOR ANTI-SPAM REASONS)

A short history... I spoke some time back with a manager at V. He got cut out. I found a manager at A and he was polite and happy until i described they could make a tribes2space DOT Kom (like myspace) with player and team pages, insta-download and advertising all over. Stop doing C++ in the game and have the game point to a website to do all that and webmail. He then said something about it being my money idea, lawyers and can't talk to me, besides that they would likely never go for the rerelease of an old game, even as a Classic for 10/15$ and 10$ for Web patch. He crypticaly told me do what you want and maybe the servers may stay up or maybe not, just don't get too "big"... whatever that number is.

So in short, I do not think that C# can interface or pinvoke C++ in T2, but I could write the masters and tribes2space DOT Kom (more on that in a minute)in C# and free MS SQL. If one of you gents wrote some of the modules in Ruby that could be hooked by C# I would suggest it.

Now I just bought tribes2space DOT Kom JUST FOR THIS. I want people to goog and find us, update their now free game and find the masters. Also t2s can run like myspace and use maybe xfire as the chatter. Either way, it is for the purpose of helping people find us when V goes dark.

Now, to write t2s, I suggest WSS 3.0, a stripped version of SharePoint 2007, MS's biggest portal to sit on their version of apache. I know MS is hated but let me explain why... Ruby, as good as it is, is not as common a language as C# (I am not trying to start a programmer flame war, hear me out). There are no doubt things that need to be written in Ruby for what it can do. There are things that can be Rapid Developed (RaD) in C#, and probably times they will work together via interfaces. They may not even touch unless the Master is written in C# with Ruby modules.

Why WSS... over DotNetNuke or any of the PHP/POSTNukes, Joomlas, etc? First, it is free. WSS on Windows Server is free. The SQL server it runs on is free. Second, if you use C# at all, keep inside the things that pro-developers can use to learn to make money. Keep as much of your programming a mainstream money as you can and you are most likely to get the most developers... this is what I tried to tell the manager at V. now, DNN is not as sought after in the workplace as WSS (I've interviewed with MS 5 times... WSS is their Child... DNN is not). And finally, WSS has a module, built in, called myspace, or something like that. This is the one that will let you EASILY build player and team pages. I admit DNN or other sites have some legs up, but in the long run WSS can do the same and the DEVELOPERS are easiest to find, when it affects their wallets to gain experience, which this project will help do.

So, in semi-conclusion... Rumble is one of the oldest and larger Tribes around. We have at least one Ubiquity hosted server and an incredible host with WildStarSystems DOT Kom. We can drop in more servers if we need. I have accumulated some sites that say "tribes" and can be pounded into giggle. I can start the WSS tribes2space DOT Kom and the Master(s) and work with others who feel certain modules would best be written in Ruby or other, so long as languages interface (which at worst can be done locally via XML web services too, even if C#/C++/Ruby/Perl, etc won't interface well... as if. We have some money donators. I am willing to be the semi-manager point to clear the way for people to get their work done and consolidated... this is like being a team lead / expediter, not a king or strict manager... I just want to help keep people doing what they like and are best at. And I am willing to document the project and the API's if people will keep me up to date. We have some serious people I can drag in to help in other areas...

Helbourne, Thyth, and 27X-A... how can I/we (Rumble) help, and should I put up a forum today dedicated to this subject (and hopefully) project?

Vsf
  • Not quite.

By the way, I'll be registering a domain name for it to be distributed off of, but I haven't decided on one yet. What do you guys think it should be?
    A couple ideas so far are:

tribesnet
    tribesnext
    tribestwo

I can mirror the download.

I would also talk to Sfphinx, the guy that runs Tribes2maps and TribalOutpost. I figure he would host the file(s). He's probably running the most popular T2 sites too.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. It doesn't look like you need my help though.
  • I can also mirror whatever Teratos says he can mirror (and whatever else) on chaingunned org. Not as popular, but hey, I thought I'd mention it. :)

I think the important thing is to make sure we don't have multiple people doing the same thing separately. If we end up with 2 separate auth servers and master servers that are managed completely differently, it will just make it much harder for players to find the server they want. It looks like Thyth is probably the farthest along, so anyone I find who is working on this, I've been pointing them here. Everyone else should do the same unless you think there's someone better.
  • Helbourne , Thyth , 27X-A,

I would also like to help. I am MS certified in C# (like Java) and was pointed over by a vet in another talk. I'm rep'ing Rumble of WAR but we are all in this together, and I am glad there are so many good and seasoned developers on it as well.
    Greetings to you too. I don't have time for a comprehensive reply, but I'll post my reactions to a few of your points.
    We run our site and forums fro rftribes d o t Kom and /forums, but Defender game me TribalCombat dot com and I just registered tribes2spaceDOT com. (i CANNOT POST urlS FOR ANTI-SPAM REASONS)

A short history... I spoke some time back with a manager at V. He got cut out. I found a manager at A and he was polite and happy until i described they could make a tribes2space DOT Kom (like myspace) with player and team pages, insta-download and advertising all over. Stop doing C++ in the game and have the game point to a website to do all that and webmail. He then said something about it being my money idea, lawyers and can't talk to me, besides that they would likely never go for the rerelease of an old game, even as a Classic for 10/15$ and 10$ for Web patch. He crypticaly told me do what you want and maybe the servers may stay up or maybe not, just don't get too "big"... whatever that number is.
    The cryptic *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* from that manager was regarding the fact that some of the work to produce an unofficial authentication server falls into legal gray area and could violate the EULA. This will not be an issue for several reasons. First and foremost, in the USA, the DMCA has exceptions for reverse engineering work done for the purposes of interoperability with legacy systems. Secondly, no reverse engineering of the existing master server or authentication protocols is required for my implementation. Patches made to the game are limited to deactivating the existing authentication component, disabling some checks run by the game when a client joins a server, and to load code from a DLL file that is wholly owned by the group that developed it (Linker, Insane Turkey, and me). Since the new authentication system is not tightly integrated into the game code, in terms of the machine code, the game EULA does not apply to it. Even if we get large enough to attract the ire of whoever owns the system, we are in the safe harbor of the DMCA exceptions.
    So in short, I do not think that C# can interface or pinvoke C++ in T2, but I could write the masters and tribes2space DOT Kom (more on that in a minute)in C# and free MS SQL. If one of you gents wrote some of the modules in Ruby that could be hooked by C# I would suggest it.
    I chose Ruby only because it is one of the smallest and easiest to integrate scripting languages that incorporates the functionality necessary to implement asymmetric cryptography. Depending on how crafty you are, I'm sure you could figure out a way to interface .NET compiled languages into the W32 binary, but I think it would largely be pointless. Ruby in and of itself was a pain to integrate due to the way the game handles memory allocations. Anything larger would be an exercise in frustration.
    Now I just bought tribes2space DOT Kom JUST FOR THIS. I want people to goog and find us, update their now free game and find the masters. Also t2s can run like myspace and use maybe xfire as the chatter. Either way, it is for the purpose of helping people find us when V goes dark.

Now, to write t2s, I suggest WSS 3.0, a stripped version of SharePoint 2007, MS's biggest portal to sit on their version of apache. I know MS is hated but let me explain why... Ruby, as good as it is, is not as common a language as C# (I am not trying to start a programmer flame war, hear me out). There are no doubt things that need to be written in Ruby for what it can do. There are things that can be Rapid Developed (RaD) in C#, and probably times they will work together via interfaces. They may not even touch unless the Master is written in C# with Ruby modules.

Why WSS... over DotNetNuke or any of the PHP/POSTNukes, Joomlas, etc? First, it is free. WSS on Windows Server is free. The SQL server it runs on is free. Second, if you use C# at all, keep inside the things that pro-developers can use to learn to make money. Keep as much of your programming a mainstream money as you can and you are most likely to get the most developers... this is what I tried to tell the manager at V. now, DNN is not as sought after in the workplace as WSS (I've interviewed with MS 5 times... WSS is their Child... DNN is not). And finally, WSS has a module, built in, called myspace, or something like that. This is the one that will let you EASILY build player and team pages. I admit DNN or other sites have some legs up, but in the long run WSS can do the same and the DEVELOPERS are easiest to find, when it affects their wallets to gain experience, which this project will help do.
    I'm going to have to strongly disagree here. Ruby, as I clarified earlier is used in client side scripting only because it provides the bare necessities for asymmetric crypto. The fact that Ruby is used in the client side should have no bearing on what is used on the server side. Ruby also isn't an esoteric language by any means. Twitter is based on Ruby, and it is extremely popular in Japan (on par with how popular Python is here). In comparison, .NET is a Microsoft abomination designed to bait you into Microsoft's much more expensive products. What you don't mention above is that Windows Server versions are not free.

While I don't disagree that the technology would be suitable for a rapidly developed online application space, I think there are lots of technologies that are much more suitable, and much more useful to learn in the long term over the Microsoft lock-in solutions. I develop these sorts of applications as part of some of my paid work, and I think the MS solutions don't have anything particularly compelling to offer over Drupal/PHP or J2EE which are free and open source.

What places of employment look for in experience is less specific technologies, and more so the ability of a candidate to adapt and have a universal skillset. Ultimately, none of that really matters for developing a game portal/online system.
    So, in semi-conclusion... Rumble is one of the oldest and larger Tribes around. We have at least one Ubiquity hosted server and an incredible host with WildStarSystems DOT Kom. We can drop in more servers if we need. I have accumulated some sites that say "tribes" and can be pounded into giggle. I can start the WSS tribes2space DOT Kom and the Master(s) and work with others who feel certain modules would best be written in Ruby or other, so long as languages interface (which at worst can be done locally via XML web services too, even if C#/C++/Ruby/Perl, etc won't interface well... as if. We have some money donators. I am willing to be the semi-manager point to clear the way for people to get their work done and consolidated... this is like being a team lead / expediter, not a king or strict manager... I just want to help keep people doing what they like and are best at. And I am willing to document the project and the API's if people will keep me up to date. We have some serious people I can drag in to help in other areas...

Helbourne, Thyth, and 27X-A... how can I/we (Rumble) help, and should I put up a forum today dedicated to this subject (and hopefully) project?

Vsf
    Contact me again after the core is operational. Unless you enjoy delving into the Escher Pits of the W32 API and machine code, there isn't much you can do to help until the core is online.
  • I can also mirror whatever Teratos says he can mirror (and whatever else) on chaingunned org. Not as popular, but hey, I thought I'd mention it. :)
    I'll make sure to let you guys know where the files are once they're up. :)
  • Not quite.

By the way, I'll be registering a domain name for it to be distributed off of, but I haven't decided on one yet. What do you guys think it should be?
    A couple ideas so far are:

tribesnet
    tribesnext
    tribestwo
    tribesnext ;)
  • domain suggestion: TribesNG (StarTrek fan :>) *ducks*
  • Greetings to you too. I don't have time for a comprehensive reply, but I'll post my reactions to a few of your points.

The cryptic *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* from that manager was regarding the fact that some of the work to produce an unofficial authentication server falls into legal gray area and could violate the EULA. This will not be an issue for several reasons. First and foremost, in the USA, the DMCA has exceptions for reverse engineering work done for the purposes of interoperability with legacy systems. Secondly, no reverse engineering of the existing master server or authentication protocols is required for my implementation. Patches made to the game are limited to deactivating the existing authentication component, disabling some checks run by the game when a client joins a server, and to load code from a DLL file that is wholly owned by the group that developed it (Linker, Insane Turkey, and me). Since the new authentication system is not tightly integrated into the game code, in terms of the machine code, the game EULA does not apply to it. Even if we get large enough to attract the ire of whoever owns the system, we are in the safe harbor of the DMCA exceptions.

I chose Ruby only because it is one of the smallest and easiest to integrate scripting languages that incorporates the functionality necessary to implement asymmetric cryptography. Depending on how crafty you are, I'm sure you could figure out a way to interface .NET compiled languages into the W32 binary, but I think it would largely be pointless. Ruby in and of itself was a pain to integrate due to the way the game handles memory allocations. Anything larger would be an exercise in frustration.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree here. Ruby, as I clarified earlier is used in client side scripting only because it provides the bare necessities for asymmetric crypto. The fact that Ruby is used in the client side should have no bearing on what is used on the server side. Ruby also isn't an esoteric language by any means. Twitter is based on Ruby, and it is extremely popular in Japan (on par with how popular Python is here). In comparison, .NET is a Microsoft abomination designed to bait you into Microsoft's much more expensive products. What you don't mention above is that Windows Server versions are not free.

While I don't disagree that the technology would be suitable for a rapidly developed online application space, I think there are lots of technologies that are much more suitable, and much more useful to learn in the long term over the Microsoft lock-in solutions. I develop these sorts of applications as part of some of my paid work, and I think the MS solutions don't have anything particularly compelling to offer over Drupal/PHP or J2EE which are free and open source.

What places of employment look for in experience is less specific technologies, and more so the ability of a candidate to adapt and have a universal skillset. Ultimately, none of that really matters for developing a game portal/online system.

Contact me again after the core is operational. Unless you enjoy delving into the Escher Pits of the W32 API and machine code, there isn't much you can do to help until the core is online.

I have a new name for Elec, King of the Amazingly Long Posts that stretch out forever, and ever, and ever, ect. ect.
  • Lol... I don't even bother reading his posts, he takes up like half the page with a single post. :P
  • He should have been a journalist :lol:
  • Greeting all,

I haven't had time to read all of the above yet but I am pleased to see that sophisticated programmer's are on the bounce. I will be back to read all this later as I am becoming interesting myself in the mechanics involved. At the moment thought I am just acting as a messenger sent to deliver the following messages for you to hopefully at least read if not act upon. Here it is....

Pandora Networks is hosting an alternative master server
    to allow Tribes 2 players to continue playing their favorite game without the
    need of having to log in. This is not a "No Login" server. The server network infastructure
    will take advantage of the Hamachi application which will allow players to connect to the
    private hamachi server and continue playing Tribes 2.You can request server hosting from Pandora
    Networks by contact [email protected]. Server hosting for Tribes 2 is free, but donations
    are accepted since this is a donated server. For more information please contact [email protected]

Hope this helps in case you need an alternative master server for one reason or another. It looks like you guys are pretty well prepared though from the posts I've looked at so far.
    Long live T2!!
  • (to Elec and others) HEY!!! I represent that long posting, should have been a journalist!!! ;) Actually I sort of am. Anyway... Again, I am stunningly thrilled that so many goodlies are on this. I will report such to peeps I rep and point them here for details.

If the new masters will be up, I was after the idea of trying to help with the Web/User/Team posting, because I know I am unlikely to be of use to the core Master dev group, and you all will certainly get known forever by this one.

I do respectfully refute and defend the M$ part... after using a Web Server license (quite cheap) everything else is free... I'd never suggest getting locked in and I knew I was taking a chance suggesting it all. I always have experiments I am doing and may target one at this and see if Elec and Thyth like (I'm realistic). But as described, I can't go too far outside the M$ realm simply due to time (and in Florida, there really is a surprisingly odd lack of care for rounded-ness, rather focus).

At this point, do you feel that the new masters will be up the day the old ones come down? I suppose I have multiple questions, so, can I help, maybe admin, a Q & A section specifically related to how this will all work? Because I have questions, I will report to my peeps at dub dub dub tribalcombat commie, thus can I be of more assistance in information dissemination? Clearly I enjoy writing (from programmer notes to simpleton notes).
  • Just in case people are still working on names (and what I read was not totaly forgotten) I grabbed the doman name " tribes 2 space " dott commie (I'm do dislike the anti-url thingy, but it is what it is...), specificly for the purpose of having Tribes2 in it (for giggle search reasons) and space to represent a similarity to myspace in concept. I am going to make an experimental site to emulate a player / team location that also allows players to post their email if they choose. So if they join a team, theirs space becomes connected to the team space, and so on.

I am not sure if the new masters that good ppl from here are working on will use all of the lost features INSIDE the game, but this idea I am working on, while being practice for me (any anyone who may want to help), could be considered a useful space for t2 players, or THE main location... or nothing. I'll start it, then advertise it and see what people think.
  • I am not sure if the new masters that good ppl from here are working on will use all of the lost features INSIDE the game,
    Not initially, due to time constraints only the new login system and server listing will be included in the first release. There will, however, be a patcher included in order to ensure that players can be kept up-to-date when the additional features are back online.

PS. I did settle on tribesnext.com for the starter domain, and a basic site should be ready to go online by mid week.
  • That's good news, Krash. What sort of facilities do you have on the hosting side, in terms of database, server side languages?

I'll spend a few hours and try to finish the Ruby integration this evening. It's the last real hurdle until the completion of the system. If I have time, I'll write the OpenDHT connector (in Torque script) for the auto-update and interim server listing solution. I'll also need to do final RSA keypair generation for the auth, update, and delegation keys with OpenSSL.
  • Oh, the usual. MySQL, PHP, and anything that can run through CGI. If anything else is needed I can always just install it through SSH.

I believe it's also setup to use the Passenger Ruby on rails deployment, though I've never tested it out.
  • Wow these posts are like five lines long....... is this what you do in your free time?
  • Greeting all,

Pandora Networks is hosting an alternative master server
    to allow Tribes 2 players to continue playing their favorite game without the
    need of having to log in. This is not a "No Login" server. The server network infastructure
    will take advantage of the Hamachi application which will allow players to connect to the
    private hamachi server and continue playing Tribes 2.

Hate to be a worrier but the admins / developers who are working on Ascension have said that this is an insecure way to connect to anything. I'd post you the link but it won't let me b/c of low post count.

Also.....Hi all, finally registered for the forums! I see some other =Rebels= people have made contact too. I am liking what I am hearing.
  • Hate to be a worrier but the admins / developers who are working on Ascension have said that this is an insecure way to connect to anything.
    And I would agree completely. Hamachi is a hacky temporary workaround, not a viable replacement.