Help: I want to start a construction server

Hello,

Can someone point me in the right direction or help me out, I'd like to run a Tribes2 Construction server, like Kryptons server with weapons but SI capable like the other servers. Is there a company that rents the servers out still, or how would I go about starting one up from my machine if that's possible.

Thank you for any help

Comments

• I haven't seen any company renting tribes 2 servers. But setting up own server is quite easy.
    I am assuming you are running Windows OS

1.You need to have UDP(thank you Krash for correcting me) 28000 port open in your router to host server
    2. Download construction mod you want to host and extract it .../Tribes 2/Game data
    3. There should be folder named "construction" if everything went fine
    4. Go to "construction" folder and run game using shortcuts or bat files in there
    5. Go to hosting tab and tweak settings to your liking, remember to choose construction as game type
    6. Alternatively you can edit server config file "ServerPrefs.cs" by hand it is found in Game data/construction/prefs
    7. In construction folder there should be a bat file or shortcut to run dedicated server or you can just start up (online or lan) game and go to hosting tab
    8. After you've gotten stuff working, download and install SI
    here is link to SI download http://the-construct.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436&page=1&pp=15

Everything is written from memory, but stuff should work. :lol:

maps and con mods can be downloaded from here:
    http://xfer1.the-construct.net/
    PS. I don't know where to download modified mod that Krypton's server is using.
  • maps and con mods can be downloaded from here:
    http://xfer1.the-construct.net/
    PS. I don't know where to download modified mod that Krypton's server is using.

You can't. he never released it.
  • Art of War Central and Branzone still host Tribes 2 servers. You just have to provide them with the mod. You could alternatively host the server on a VPS for around the same price.

A few corrections on hosting a server of your own, however:
    • Tribes 2 communicates over UDP 28000 as the default port, which should be forwarded to your machine.
    • After you have extracted the mod, run the DSO remover batch file once.
    • Following this, you should start server from the dedicated shortcut and wait for it to finish loading. Once it has, shut it down and configure prefs/serverPrefs.cs to your liking.
    • If you're running a server, you should probably not be using the SI autoupdate vl2 in case of error. Just make sure the StructInf/server.cs file loads after the server starts to enable the SI server component.

Additionally, the slack space-enabled server executable (for managing ghostable deployables) is not currently publicly available. What this means for your server is that any time new players, vehicles, or projectiles spawn over the limit, they will be not be sent to the player (e.g. you won't see weapons fire and new someone joing the server will be stuck in observer until a ghosted object is removed).

Since you intend to run a combat mod, when the executable is available you will want to tweak the $StructuralInfinity::Settings::MaxGhostDeployables variable to a lower number. This will lower the number of normally ghosted deployables, resulting in fewer pieces seen by non-SI clients, but more vehicles, player objects, and projectiles in your slack space.
  • Wow, thanks guys for the all the detailed information. I got a test server running after forwarding the ports to 28000. My next process is following your steps for the mods.

One thing I noticed when running my test server is I wasn't able to log into my own game after opening a second tribes2.exe, What's the work around for this so you can play on your own server?
  • Wow, thanks guys for the all the detailed information. I got a test server running after forwarding the ports to 28000. My next process is following your steps for the mods.

One thing I noticed when running my test server is I wasn't able to log into my own game after opening a second tribes2.exe, What's the work around for this so you can play on your own server?

http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=472.0

I think you're referring to that issue?
  • Connect to your servers local (LAN) IP address.
    You can add this address to your server list by hitting insert while on the server list page and typing in the address and port (ex: IP:192.168.0.42:28000). It's recommended that you mark it as a favorite, so you don't have to continue manually entering the address to ping it. We hope to have this fixed in a future release.

I think it would also work if you just connect to 127.0.0.1:28000 or localhost:28000, both are easier to come up with!
  • Brilliant, that was the issue. Thank you.
  • Everytime I download a construction mod, and host it, I never have unlimited jet packs, or the mod seems to be decades old and wont even allow me to switch options in inventory, that and either way I install SI, i never see a server.cs file in the StructInf folder. Apparently this isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Basically what I want is a server like [ The Construct.net ] . BC (running 1.47 metallic) but with weapons enabled (ideally some modified weapons) and running SI.

I'd even be willing to paypal someone to make this for me in a .zip file i could extract, change my server prefs then run and enjoy. I don't get the point to creating a sweet ass base with your friends if nobody's going to try and attack it once your finished.
  • 1. Make sure files inside /construction/scripts/do_not_delete/ are read-only.
    2. Run DSO deleter in Game data/construction and then try changing options in esc menu (while on server (and having admin rights)).
    3. If that for some reason doesn't work try deleting server prefs file.
    If It still doesnt work I dunno.
    [If beams or pads seem to stretch out forever DSO deleter has deleted files inside /Construction/scripts/do_not_delete in that case you need to extract them from zip file again. after that make sure they are read-only]