Weekly Update! 1/20/07

Yes! Another update! I've been doing a bit on ACCM lately.

I've just been knocking out and merging a few commands. I saw that some things in ACCM were... taken from Metallic, which was awfully strange. No, I don't mean commands, I mean like, the con tool. I wonder what Blnukem intended to do with Metallic's Con Tool (all it contains is just those attack functions against Dricon)? :confused:

Well, anyways, I've got some nice concepts coming through. Here are a few of them:
  • Commander Camera Control:
    I was thinking maybe we could implement more control into the camera. Like, the commander cam can drop artillery (implemented) and build pre-builts on to the land. Maybe, in order to build pre-builts, a field-tech (another new concept) would have to mark the area. This will prevent people from building defenses near the enemy base and have them auto-fire and distract.
  • Field Tech
    Rather than having a Scout who builds, we can have a field tech. The field tech has a small jetting ability and can carry two weapons (preferably the con tool and merge tool). He has a small weapon selection, but a big deploying selection. He even comes with the ability to mark the spots for commander camera.
  • RPG-type playing
    [STRIKE]I was thinking maybe we could implement an RPG-ish mode a bit more like BF2/2142. You get something (help for a name, EXP won't do it) that will count towards a count. Once you get so high in this "count," you rank up, and you can select different abilities. Some suggested abilities would be lower spread, lower clip reload time, inventory expansion, longer flashlight lifetime (heh), and more. [/STRIKE]
    Tossed in recycling bin.
  • Zombie Spawnsphere
    Have a deployable/placeable zombie spawnsphere that deploys zombies in a radius. I'm hoping to get it working for indoor and outdoor, so zombies don't spawn in interiors (like they will in ZStalk).
  • New Weapons
    Need to discuss this with Alviss. Ummm... suggestions would be helpful, too! :D

Comments please. I want to here what you think of these concepts.

Comments

• personaly, i like the field tech idea, that sounds awesome, but when you said,
    a field-tech (another new concept) would have to mark the area.
    do you mean he would get a gun that would do that, because you only said he'd get a con tool, and a merge tool if i'm correct.

i have a suggestion for how to mark a spot for the building.

if you remember (and i know you do) there is an admin gun in mettalic, that someone made by using the targeting laser, and when you aim and fire, and hold it there long enough, it call a satelite strike, well, you could use that same concept, you take the targeting laser shape, and have it in the targeting laser slot, so when you hit L with the field tech, only he has it.

so when you aim and fire, and hold it there long enough, it will tell the command satelite where to put it.
  • Metallic's con tool
    I think Eolk wants to replace the tool to include that option.
  • It also would have the "Move to center" option, but other than that it'd be just the same as any other in the version he would've used.

I very much doubt Nukem was there to remember it, but Captn did post a thread on t3o giving permission to anyone to use his scripts as long as credit was given shortly before he left.
  • Wut is t3o? I not been hear on this earth long enuff to no.
  • I approve strongly of all these, esp the field tech.
    What weapons for him though?

Wisedom instead of Exp? You "learn" how to keep a lower spread and "learn" how to reload faster?
  • Wisedom instead of Exp? You "learn" how to keep a lower spread and "learn" how to reload faster?
    Hmm... that doesn't "ring" to me. But, if anybody doesn't come up with anything better, it'll have to do.

Thanks for the good feedback on the Field-Tech idea (in-game) guys! I'll have to implement it.

I'm going to try to get ACCM 1.2 out tonight. Zombie Survival is still in beta. It'll come with a sample map.
  • Commander Camera Control

Why don't we just improve the satellite? and i hate the idea of arty drops, the whole idea of CCM is teamwork, you want arty? get a guy to deploy it then mark a target.
    Field Tech

Fantasic idea. We would need to improve scout armour, or just make the scout armour into the Field tech.

RPG-type playing

Ranking up already exists. I hate the RPG idea.
    Zombie Spawnsphere

I don't understand, auto spawned zombies?
  • The commander cam is the satellite.
    *Tosses the RPG idea in the recycling bin.*
    You know you have to place all of those spawns? Well, maybe we should just make a spawnsphere system, so you don't have to place all those darn spawns...
  • *Binman comes*
    Yep here it is
    *Binman is phantom*
    Phantom: Ill put this in my TCCm mod...MUAHAHA!
  • Well, maybe we should just make a spawnsphere system, so you don't have to place all those darn spawns...

Why don't we just have zombies spawn randomly around clients. Like stalk, only without scriptobjects and do little checks to make sure the location is valid.. such as on terrain (or in a room rather than in a wall)
    Phantom: Ill put this in my TCCm mod...MUAHAHA!

HAHA, burn.
  • What exactly does stalk do?
  • What's wrong with scriptobjects? I originally used them because I may use the same function to spawn for the spawnsphere and regular. Besides, using scriptobjects was not only fun, but since they are dumped in MissionCleanup, they are cleaned up automatically upon the mission ending.

Zaxxman:
    Stalking spawns zombies around a specified person.
  • What is t3o? I've not been here on this earth long enough to know.
    A few months after MrWatermonkey stopped the hosting of T2o (Tribes2.org) because he no longer had the cash, T3o (Tribes3.org) became its spiritual successor with great hopes for the then unnamed Tribes game in the works. These both also happened to be the hosts of the official Construction mod forums in their time.
    Plenty of good times were had and pretty much everyone who posted on the forums knew eachother, were better informed, and had a better sense of community than the players who chose not to use them for years (many of whom, if asked, would still believe that the community had only ever consisted of only the servers and tribes in game).
    We had our ups and downs - once we even had some script kiddie decide to spam the hell out of our specific sub-forum for a day or two, while myself and Mostlikely deleted the threads as best we could - but after everyone knew Vengeance was a flop, the forums slowed gradually, and were not resuscitated after a final worm in the heart.

The classic style on here (except with the header below), among a few titles and phrases, are an homage to the old construction forums.

title.jpg

Between the closure of t2o and the opening of t3o was the time we really got into starting up our own little network. We started out small (also causing a wildfire of construction players with freewebs pages) and built up from there for a couple years, and ended up picking up most of remaining construction forum users on our old site when T3o hit the can.
  • I remember when t3o died. I heard about it on Lexor's Website (he's been on lately, running his RevMod2).
  • how did t3 die anyways.....i only played the demo....which i thought also sucked lol i mean i wanted to be the repair guy but i swear to god every minute some guy would come into the base and in 2 seconds blowup everything i just repaired with regular guns with me in it. man.........
  • T:V as a game was not so bad, but it really wasn't tribes so much as an imitation of some of the key elements. After the beta it had lost the support of the majority of the fans, and so didn't receive all too many purchases from them. This didn't bode well for the game when coupled with very little marketing, competition taking all the limelight around the release (World of warcraft, half-life 2), and finally the cancellation of the completed patch that was intended to fix a number of problems and dropped support from vivendi.
  • It had a lot of bugs to it, which drove a lot of the players away.
  • Many of which could've been fixed, even in the patch that was days away from release, if Vivendi weren't pulling the strings. :p
  • The RenWerX team tried to mod it, but they failed since it was so sloppy.
  • The RPG tribes game seems to be Ok with some of our players like Helter etc
  • I'm ok with RPG to, but depending on what's in it.

But,k my dad got a beta disc of T3, and his computer wouldn't even run it, we upgraded the video card twice, and still couldn't get it to work, i watched some T3 videos, and man, it's just not the Tribes i like, the only way i will go to T3 is if T2 dies like T1 did a couple months ago.
  • The t1 football was fun =D
  • the only way i will go to T3 is if T2 dies like T1 did a couple months ago.
    For a long while after the release of Vengeance, T2 was still on the top 40 of gamespy's player stats, while T:V had half the players and dropping. There aren't a lot of servers left.
    The single player isn't bad. The story isn't canon to the universe tribes is set in, but there's some fun to be had.

Right at the moment it's an odd hour and the stats are reporting 216 players on T2.
  • I thought T:V had a great storyline, it was too much like t1 is the stuff i didn't like (favorite setup while on the inv station).
  • TAC was never good
  • T:V had an ok storyline. I still think it sucks though. Wasn't programmed too good.
  • If Tribes Vengeance died, shouldn't Tribes 2 start reviving?
  • I think a lot of people were really disappointed, and started saying "ah! It's the apocalypse of the Starsiege/Earthsiege series!" and left. No to mention the recent master server downings have really killed off a bit of the population.
  • *Grabs medpack*
    Revive damn you!
    *Fails*
    Dont gimme that crap where body is destroyed or changing
    *fails...*
  • Linker said he was gonna try to revive tribes. Don't know whether he got around to it or not. He said he wanted us to register "Tribes2Revival.org" or something.