A Getting Started (Comprehensive)

2»

Comments

• Thanks for blowing my mind.
  • We still need a name for this thing. We could append "A compilation" on the end of it and give credit at the load screen.

Like "Turbocon: A Compilation" or something. If we didn't name it officially it would get nicknamed anyway.

Maybe Compicon, or Collabomod or something.

Quanmoollic Construction
  • Quite the post there.
    oh well, btw, you wouldnt happen to know how to close a toggle door in metallic would you? for some reason i deploy the door, set the pass, /opendoor %pass and thats as far as i get =)
    Same as opening it, just point at it and use the opendoor command. ;)
  • "renaming" it would likely cause concern about violating the original authors copyrights and thats a very slippery slope to be on. Even though it would be the right thing to do authors of this kind of software dont care about whats good for the end user just whats good for themselves and their ego and violating that could raise alot of hell. Whoever did decide to collect the compilation would have to be very precise in who's work is whats and where it came from. Standards like citing lines of code and making sure everyone know that work came from which author is key to ensuring no one's ego be hurt.

The tribes community continues to be stabbed to death by those who see fit to limit its growth for the purposes of their own gratification and renown.

@krash yea i tried that its not working =/
  • You realize that citation does not release you from legal liability?
  • File it under fair use and compile away!

If only it were that simple. It also just so happens the stuff that would be used is owned by the kind of people who would pursue legal stuff to. The whole thought of suing someone over some lines of code in a mod of a mod all seems very asshattish to me.
  • Is permission really that difficult to get from these modders anyway?
  • Probably not, but I don't have any of their contact infos. I'm sure they'd let us use it.
  • Sun Quan has been playing a lot recently, and Insane Turkey still plays regularly. I'm certain that Sun could contact Websnake and Soldier of Light without much difficulty. If not, Soldier of Light is on AIM a lot: dkwiz214, as is Websnake: LeadThermometer1, in fact the only person from the Quantium development team that isn't on AIM often is Sun Quan (via nexus0750). As for MooCon, Foocumber can be contacted via AIM at FooCumber, Xencor can be contacted via AIM at XencorS, Insane Turkey via AIM at InsaneTurkey1, Typhuse via AIM at Typhuse.

So, there is contact info for 6 of the 7 people that you need approval from. That's a good place to start. If you would like, I can contact them on your behalf.
  • Corrupter, get on it! ;)

I'll support this project but I don't want to be directly involved.
  • i lack the skill, i am but a voice. i will likely tinker for my own means but due to the lack of enthusiasm of the remainder of the community i doubt i'll be motivated enough to carry this thing to the finish.

A stepping stone or a stumbling block?
  • Don't let it hold you back. I can think of a good ten to twenty people who don't participate in the forums that would quite enthusiastically support a compilation... A few might need a bit of extra instruction on hosting servers and the like, but I don't doubt they would choose it over most of what's currently available.
    I may be able to toss in a bit of help if there's something tricky you want to try doing...
  • If this does get going it might inspire me to fix my maps up with the very large apparent bugs they have, and spice them up a bit. Maybe even create a few new ones.

With all the crappy map editors in most newer games, I've been pretty discouraged. I watched a couple videos on the new Crysis editor and it reminded me a lot of Tribes 2's editor and made me want to map again.
  • Well since this is all about collaborating the mods, why not co-dev maps there EEK. Thats if this project goes off the ground level
  • Oh, and Ill take up as Project Leader if no one else wants the job, although I cant script, I can lead the project well enough to contacting, collaborating the modders, scripters and such. Getting this past a concept, and into development. I just need a team here, as I said, I cant script myself, but I can map, alongside with EEK. I can even additionally contact COBRAMAX for possible use of his vehicles in this new mod. Anyone willing to help develop this mod, let me know via this thread, or AIM, email or Ingame. Once we get a team standing, we can begin to lay out the project goals and such. We can all decide a temporary name or even a permanent name when we start developing it. Once we get the team assembled, I will begin doing my best to contact the Developers, and get this show on the road.

My Contact info:
    [email protected]
    cmdrb0b <-AIM
    (o in bob iz a zero)
  • Talihoooooop!

Yeah, it sounds fun. You should come by our IRC room. #raptorhideout @ irc.dynamix.com
  • I can set up a subdomain with some hosting on here for it or sommat.