Server Troubles

Hello all,

I've recently tried to start hosting again. However, I've asked 3 different people, and none of them could see my server on the lists. I've forwarded all the ports, I'm using the alternateMasterServer patch (as well as the TCMS.vl2), and I'm using the Tribes2_server.exe from SI.

I'm using a Netgear wireless router (my PC is wired up) in combination with a Westell Modem/Router on Verizon DSL. Not that the last part matters much, other than the fact that all of their customer support are Mexicans that talk fast.

I'd appreciate any help on this subject.

~Syn~

Comments

• I hope I can get some help on this before I really do need to start hosting, which will be in a week or two.

~Syn~
  • If you are using the full TCMS vl2, you should be able to use $Host::TCecho = 1; to have it read the return code. If you get the " - Server could not be contacted." message, the master server was unable to read any information from your server.
    This usually means that your ports are not forwarded, or your firewall has blocked the connections.
  • Up at the top of the console, it says "Successfully registered with Alternate Master Server."

Also, my cousin had no luck with the TCMS.vl2, so I told him to download what I currently use, which is the "Alternate Master Server" patch.

In the console, it did read "Sent heartbeat to TC master server", but I haven't seen any messages after that so far. No one can see it. I've forwarded all ports on my router, firewall, and checked game settings. The firewall has also been disabled at this point in desperation.

I've got no clue what's going on. I might need a fresh install of Tribes :-\

~Syn~
  • Did you disable your firewall? :p
  • Up at the top of the console, it says "Successfully registered with Alternate Master Server."

Also, my cousin had no luck with the TCMS.vl2, so I told him to download what I currently use, which is the "Alternate Master Server" patch.

In the console, it did read "Sent heartbeat to TC master server", but I haven't seen any messages after that so far. No one can see it. I've forwarded all ports on my router, firewall, and checked game settings. The firewall has also been disabled at this point in desperation.

I've got no clue what's going on. I might need a fresh install of Tribes :-\

~Syn~
    On LAN Verizon has a specified port. FiOS buyers all run on port 80. Have you checked your FULL connection with LAN on this??? You can plug in you LAN port partially and still reach the internet. But you cannot do old fasion website hosting... or T2 Hosting.... in this case I have FiOS.
    I can't get my server running either... so I guess we both need help.... lol.
  • On LAN Verizon has a specified port. FiOS buyers all run on port 80. Have you checked your FULL connection with LAN on this??? You can plug in you LAN port partially and still reach the internet. But you cannot do old fasion website hosting... or T2 Hosting.... in this case I have FiOS.
    Somthing odd happend.....
    do this:
    $Host::HostNumber = "##########";

I played around (Like Krash told me) And it never asked the /auth code..... even after the first 4 things...
    Also because I fixed my GUI into a .cs file.
  • On LAN Verizon has a specified port. FiOS buyers all run on port 80. Have you checked your FULL connection with LAN on this??? You can plug in you LAN port partially and still reach the internet. But you cannot do old fasion website hosting... or T2 Hosting.... in this case I have FiOS.

I used the same port as I do in Online mode. :rolleyes:
  • AlternateMasterSupport and TCMS share a list, but Morrow's only has those listed on its own. So, anybody who doesn't have that particular script will not be able to see the server even if a query goes through.
    Morrow's Alternate Master Server patch's listing script is based on an example script from TCMS, so is sent from the game in the same fashion. However, it doesn't check to see if the server is connectable, and says it's been added regardless of the server status. That being said, it does appear to be listed there.

If you do not get a return code, that means you've either got microTCMS (check scripts/autoexec and delete tcms.cs.dso if you see it), or the heartbeat was sent incorrectly. If you have TCMS and it's unable to connect, it will tell you that it didn't.

If you were able to get a query through at all, it has nothing to do with the game or the script. It just means nobody can connect because something on your network is stopping it.
  • I've checked and I do not have microTCMS or the dso files you listed. Also, I wanted to mention that when I just had the TCMS (not Morrow's patch), no servers were listed (this was the same for my cousin, Sidneys1).

Seems it may have to do with having two routers..

~Syn~
  • The fact that it gets added to Morrow's list says that it is not a hardware problem, nor a problem with the game or script. People not seeing it appear on this list means that the server is unconnectable.

Not being added to the TCMS list says one of three things as the most likely issues: your server is unconnectable, your server's external address is bound to something unconnectable, or the script isn't loaded at all.
    Unless you've got something removing DSOs every time you play the game, if you do not have a DSO by that name and saw no servers listed, the script was never loaded and likely incorrectly installed.

Your culprit for the server being unconnectable is likely your router (but not having two devices), but the script not working sounds like a PEBKAC.
  • hm, i had troubles too, then i changed TCecho to 1 now it works? am i wrong?
  • Are you running Windows XP service pack 2, if you are I have much knowlege of it; The XP fire wall is evil, it hates everything, I just deinstalled the damned thing.
  • Are you running Windows XP service pack 2, if you are I have much knowlege of it; The XP fire wall is evil, it hates everything, I just deinstalled the damned thing.
    No, I've got the same problem syn does, and I'm running Vista Home Premium. ;)

I can client and server, but no one else can join my servers.

Have a nice day,
    ~Sidneys1
  • Eeh, the only way I want to host is through client I think, dedicated servers are useless to host if there is already one there. So how do you host nondedicated on tcms?
  • You only need to host dedicated if you're using the Structural Infinity executable. A regular exe that's been patched can run a listen server on the system just fine.
  • Its back to normal now.
  • I don't know how to fix this. But I do need help with my PC.
    I've been getting an unhandled Exception. c0000006
    Address of 0000000. It comes up every time I try to get up Online Tribes!

Someone PLEAASE help me! :(
  • I mean c0000005.

oops.
  • Online doesn't work anymore. Please go to http://www.the-construct.net/forums/showthread.php?t=265 to learn how to get online.

Additionally, see this website also for Tribes 2 Revival: http://www.tribesnext.com/ .
  • you need to set T2's Port to be the same as the one you have forwarded, If you have not forwarded any ports, you will need to do so, Tribes 2 defaultly sets the port as 28000. However, If you have changed this number, you can change it with the command:

setPort(#); in your console, DX please correct that command if thats not it.
  • The XP fire wall is evil, it hates everything
    Fucking short messages
    <3

I can host and have my firewall up simultaneously. And I run Windows XP.
  • you need to set T2's Port to be the same as the one you have forwarded, If you have not forwarded any ports, you will need to do so, Tribes 2 defaultly sets the port as 28000. However, If you have changed this number, you can change it with the command:

setPort(#); in your console, DX please correct that command if thats not it.

The command is setNetPort(#);