what music do you like?

Comments

• Unless you've got anything constructive to say about music, stfu and gtfo out of this thread.

Anyway, Mez / Nao see if you can torrent a copy of Ableton Live 7. That's the program I / my band use to do our production on. It can handle audio and MIDI and, with an audio interface / decent soundcard you can play guitars and vocals straight into it!

Lot of /s used in that post :)
  • no, sorry, that wasnt me, that was my lil bro.
    the asshole recorded it.

Sorry.

where is papabear anyways? he was a funny guy.

Don't you dare try to put this on someone else. I know it was you.

XD
    I'm honored :p

>_< It'll work well, trust me. As long as you don't mind having your voice online.
    Anyway, Mez / Nao see if you can torrent a copy of Ableton Live 7. That's the program I / my band use to do our production on. It can handle audio and MIDI and, with an audio interface / decent soundcard you can play guitars and vocals straight into it!

Lot of /s used in that post :)
    lol, at least we have options with all the /s.

If Nao wants to Torrent it, that'd be fine, but my computer can't...any connections other than standard internet (extreme internet makes it crash) and my system fries.

I'll do some research on the program, though. Before I do, though, is it an audio-mixer, an editor, or merely a better recording program? Or something else entirely? o_O
  • It's a general music production package. It has a sequencer window where u can drag audio and midi around in, you can record onto it etc etc. It has a built in mixer with auxilarys so you can use send effects as well as inserts (industry standard) it also has some mastering tools and you can warp sampled drum beats/ vocals/ whatever else to tempo which is cool. Loads of built in effects and processes, supports VSTs, blah blah, some other stuff.

Here's a pic of how the sequencer window looks. There's another side of Ableton called the Scene view which lets use Ableton to perform live. If you're at a gig and some1 has a laptop and are playing techno or something like that, chances are that they're using Ableton Live :)
    http://images.macnn.com/macnn/news/0804/2-ableton-in.jpg
  • Amazing...that looks really sick, actually... a lot more sophisticated than Audacity (appearance-wise).

I'm assuming it's user-friendly?
  • That's because that's very different from Audacity.. that is a loop based audio editor, audacity is more like open audio editor.

And no Meza, they aint user friendly, they're actually pretty hard to use lol.
  • Have you tried it first-hand, Def?
  • It's easy to use if you have experience working with similar programs (eg. Cubase, Reason, FruityLoops, Protools, Logic, Acid, Nuendo etc.) but it can be very very daunting otherwise. You can pick it up fairly quickly, and especially if you play an instrument which you run effects through. I recommend getting into Ableton though, as it's fucking good fun :D
  • That's because that's very different from Audacity.. that is a loop based audio editor, audacity is more like open audio editor.

And no Meza, they aint user friendly, they're actually pretty hard to use lol.

Looping things can be funny as hell sometimes.

And here is what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pS-1d0E9AE
  • It's easy to use if you have experience working with similar programs (eg. Cubase, Reason, FruityLoops, Protools, Logic, Acid, Nuendo etc.) but it can be very very daunting otherwise. You can pick it up fairly quickly, and especially if you play an instrument which you run effects through. I recommend getting into Ableton though, as it's fucking good fun :D
    Sounds easy enough...plus, if push comes to shove, I can just ask you for some help >_<

I'll have to speak to my technology guy to get it...

>_> Psst...Nao...hey...
  • Don't you dare try to put this on someone else. I know it was you.
    how? are you psychic?

/me wears foil hat.

none of you people know me well enough to destinguish me from a younger sibling.

sorry, jOo PhAiL!
  • Oh ffs, who cares? I've never seen someone take an internet insult to heart as bad as you man!

And Mez, I'm fluent in Reason 4.0, Cubase SX3, Protools LE7 and Ableton Live 7.0.3 so if you're using any of those I'd be glad to help :)
  • Fruity Loops is an awesome Loop Based program to start, I'd recommend you start with that one, then move into more advanced stuff like the stuff Spin uses.

how? are you psychic?

/me wears foil hat.

none of you people know me well enough to destinguish me from a younger sibling.

sorry, jOo PhAiL!

Dude, there's no older trick than doing something stupid, only to then blame your brother.
    And trust me, noone in this forum (besides you) is stupid/young enough to believe that.

So before telling Meza he fails (even thought he doesn't), realise how hard you are failing.
  • No, not psychic, but I use common sense. The reason we can't distinguish you from a younger sibling because you act the same way we'd expect an annoying immature tyke to act :p

Thanks for the pre-offered assistance Spin :3 If I ever get my hands on it and it tweaks, I'll be sure to contact you.

And I never heard of Frootyloops before...isn't Audacity a loop-based program as well?
  • And I never heard of Frootyloops before...isn't Audacity a loop-based program as well?

No!, not at all.

Here, take a look at this screenshot, it's one of my songs.

Notice how Spins screenshot shows something that looks like a flash's timetable , while mine just shows the tracks thrown around there.
    • Copia de Copia de Syd.jpg
  • Oh ffs, who cares? I've never seen someone take an internet insult to heart as bad as you man!
    ..... :confused:
    No, not psychic, but I use common sense. The reason we can't distinguish you from a younger sibling because you act the same way we'd expect an annoying immature tyke to act
    treat me like a child, and ill behave like a child.
    Dude, there's no older trick than doing something stupid, only to then blame your brother.
    its not a trick. :(
    :o:o:o:o:o
  • treat me like a child, and ill behave like a child.

When you grow up you'll realise it works like this :

Behave like an adult and you'll be treated like an adult.
  • Spin's looks like it has more capabilities >_>

Also...
    treat me like a child, and ill behave like a child.
    Keep bugging me when I build and refuse to stop after asking multiple times, and I'll treat you like a child.
  • It's not that it has more or less capabilities, they're just different things.

But if you prefer a loop based editor, then be my guest.
  • I just want to try it >_< don't act so condescending :P
  • I'm not acting in any way!, I'm Deflun!
  • >_< Bah, nevermind.

I still need to work on that song >_> Jeeze I'm lazy...

Nao, if you're lurking, no, I still don't have drums.
  • It's not that it has more or less capabilities, they're just different things.

But if you prefer a loop based editor, then be my guest.
    Audacity is a Mastering tool, very much like Sound Forge and Wavelab, only nowhere near as good :D

Audacity is what you'd use after you've bounced your song down to a stereo .wav file to EQ it, normalise (increase the volume of the track until the loudest peaks are at 0dB) and maximise (i think this boosts the quieter parts of your track to make it more consistant, but it's an awesome tool to boost the volume of your tracks with out distorting them)
    So basically you use Audacity to polish up your song after you've finished making it and make it suitable for realease. A good pop producer will pay literally £1000s to get a song mastered properly so if you get good at it, there's a lot of money to be made!

Yeah man you need any help, just shout ^_^
  • Huh...wow, lots of new stuff I just learned o_O

What does EQ stand for?
  • EQ = equalize(r).
    Spin, have you been able to find spare time in the studio yet?
  • Numbuh 178

LOL!! xD
  • EQ = equalize(r).
    Spin, have you been able to find spare time in the studio yet?

Ah shit I'd totally forgotten about that mate! Sorry been proper busy! I'm away this weekend but I'll see if I can't torrent a good copy of Wavelab and do it for ya in the week :)

If I ain't doing anything it's prolly because I forgot so just gimme a poke if I've gone quiet about it :D
  • Okay, first attempt...the little "sample" thingy? Yeah, I've been jacking with the timing and somehow managed to screw it up.

So I'm making a new one.

And this one's better (for now).

I even have DRUMS in it!

Hell, as far as I know, I just need to set the right tracks to play at the right time, perhaps add incoherent background talking, and then BAM! A sawng.
  • Isnt this a music thread?
  • Okay, first attempt...the little "sample" thingy? Yeah, I've been jacking with the timing and somehow managed to screw it up.

So I'm making a new one.

And this one's better (for now).

I even have DRUMS in it!

Hell, as far as I know, I just need to set the right tracks to play at the right time, perhaps add incoherent background talking, and then BAM! A sawng.
    A good idea is to see if the program you are recording into has a click track, which is basically a metronome. If you play in time with the metronome then every instrument will be in time!

Also, if you can help it, try not to warp / time stretch vocals or guitars. It only really works effectively on drums :)
  • It has a click track, but the problem with my computer is that...well, I either have sound going in, or sound going out...

I can either record directly into the computer without hearing a thing, or listen to the program without any input, so unfortunately, I can't coordinate the times...don't worry though, about the only thing I stretched was in fact the drum track >_<

I just need an actual band going so I don't have to line up my own timing again and again o_O

On a similar note...I've discovered that I have really weird timing, when put into perspective...