Tribes ascend.

Comments

• Whoever thought micro transactions were good for games certainly weren't gamers.

Activision!
  • Sigh, just the fact that they weren't going to provide any form of modding capability clarified to me that this game would continue in the non-tribes bull shit that today has turned into. You want grinding, you want forced loadouts, let the god damn modders do it, or make a gametype for it.

Modding, freedom of movement, and flexibility in the game is literally the only main premises that the game is made on.

But still people seem to think that they can make a game in the shape of a dildo and screw us all.
  • Tribes 2 is from a time where people didn't realize freedom was profitable.. at least not in games.
  • This is a rage poast. Beware!

tl;dr: No, this isn't Tribes. Grinding + forced loadouts + micro-transactions = VERY BAD. It's a terrible insult to Tribes, and goes against everything Tribes was about. DO NOT PLAY unless you're sucker for giving people your money/time for half-assed games.

The gameplay feels like Tribes... That's about it... The loadouts crap is the game breaker for me. Not to mention... You have to grind to even get these loadouts... Bad enough you have to do this shit in every god damn game on the market as it is - and I'm tired of it...

I want to PLAY the god damn game, not spend hours to get a fancy kit or a gun that does the same shit as everything else, but with a different name tag slapped on it...

Whoever thought micro-transactions was a good idea for a FPS - ESPECIALLY TRIBES, is a total douchenozzle. They should just have given it a set price, cloned T2, maybe added some new content and game types, some modding/mapping tools, and it would be perfect.

Loadouts are the key, and they seriously fucked it up. I'm very disappointed. These half-assed unfinished modern games are really pissing me off, everything is about money... They're not even fun anymore...

Personally I feel cheated, and this is more than enough proof that games like Tribes and Quake (yes, I'm dragging Quake into the argument) will be gone forever. The only enjoyable game genre left is RTS, as FPS has gone to shit. And it's only a matter of time until RTS turns into crap as well. See C&C4, Dawn of War II, and SupCom2 for reference.

I'll pick Vengeance over this crap, any day. At least you didn't have to mindlessly grind for fuck knows how long to get a set of forced loadouts. Vengeance felt more like Tribes than this does, and this is coming from someone who absolutely hated Vengeance.

That load of steaming shit people call a map, is NOT Katabatic by any means. I can only assume you're trolling at this point.

People will proberbly hate me for this. First i believe DOW2 is EPIC, seriously good, now you have to remeber that Tribes: Ascend IS Tribes: Ascend, if it was Tribes 2 then their would be no profit, they might as well POST A BLOODY LINK TO TRIBES NEXT. I will agree it's not the best Tribes game and it's not about money if you can get the whole damn thing free if you so desire. Tribes Ascend and Vengeance are not Tribes 1 or 2 they are Tribes Vengeance and Tribes Ascend.
    You guys should be glad a NEW Tribes game is comming out cause their is barly 100 people playing Tribes 1 and 2, just be grateful that it's not like CoD and you can move faster than 5km on FOOT!
    Seriously people just be thankful you can PLAY a new beutiful looking Tribes game with people you will pwn the crap out of.
    Their are hitscan weapons but their god hard to aim.
  • Your logic is flawed, Tribes Vengeance is not Tribes Vengeance, it's piles of encrypted manure.
  • You, are preaching to the wrong choir here.
    This community loved tribes for its modability, freedom of movement, and general epicness. *Warning entering metaphor*
    Not a name on a board with a similar paint color, but completely different structure.

Why is it so f***ing hard for developers to understand that every game doesn't have to be the same thing. Be different, be a free thinker, and do the same thing that was done before on tribes because it worked! ***epic contradiction***

EDIT: But seriously, I just want pretty much tribes 2, with a new engine, and new pretty on it, so i can remake CCM with the followers of a new game. I dont want to play base all the time, because, well honestly, I wasn't all that great at it, and didn't really like it.
  • To start off, Ren... This is another RAEG POAST, this is a touchy subject for me... I love Tribes... So nothing personal. :)
    People will proberbly hate me for this. First i believe DOW2 is EPIC, seriously good, now you have to remeber that Tribes: Ascend IS Tribes: Ascend, if it was Tribes 2 then their would be no profit, they might as well POST A BLOODY LINK TO TRIBES NEXT. I will agree it's not the best Tribes game and it's not about money if you can get the whole damn thing free if you so desire. Tribes Ascend and Vengeance are not Tribes 1 or 2 they are Tribes Vengeance and Tribes Ascend.
    You guys should be glad a NEW Tribes game is comming out cause their is barly 100 people playing Tribes 1 and 2, just be grateful that it's not like CoD and you can move faster than 5km on FOOT!
    Seriously people just be thankful you can PLAY a new beutiful looking Tribes game with people you will pwn the crap out of.
    Their are hitscan weapons but their god hard to aim.

Dawn of War 2 is bad because they changed core gameplay completely. Granted it works in single player, but multiplayer is horrible, and the same goes with C&C4. Now ADDING to gameplay is completely different than CHANGING the gameplay, don't get these confused. Even Vengeance didn't change the key elements, even though the game itself was unfinished.

You've got to be pretty damn ignorant to think you can change the core elements of a game and expect people to like it, in this case; totally destroying the ability to make loadouts, and limiting weapons. Honestly, I would prefer a link to Tribes Next over this - and giving T2 a major graphic overhaul.

And I don't know what you're smoking, but yes. It is like CoD. I'm not thankful for it in ANY way. And no, I wont be playing it before you start off with the 'don't like it, don't play it' crap. This may have a few Tribes related elements, but they're advertising it as being like T1, T2, and T:V - but it's not. Changing core elements such as loadouts and weapons, and adding credits and a grinding system, completely changes it into something else, and is not what Tribes is or ever was.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Grinding + micro-transactions = BAD. Grinding doesn't fly well with a fast-paced tactical game like Tribes, and micro-transactions in a FPS is just stupid. This game will FAIL. Just like Hi-Rez's previous releases.

EDIT: Also, see Dond's post above for my view on modding and how essential it is to Tribes.
  • To start off, Ren... This is another RAEG POAST, this is a touchy subject for me... I love Tribes... So nothing personal. :)

Dawn of War 2 is bad because they changed core gameplay completely. Granted it works in single player, but multiplayer is horrible, and the same goes with C&C4. Now ADDING to gameplay is completely different than CHANGING the gameplay, don't get these confused. Even Vengeance didn't change the key elements, even though the game itself was unfinished.

You've got to be pretty damn ignorant to think you can change the core elements of a game and expect people to like it, in this case; totally destroying the ability to make loadouts, and limiting weapons. Honestly, I would prefer a link to Tribes Next over this - and giving T2 a major graphic overhaul.

And I don't know what you're smoking, but yes. It is like CoD. I'm not thankful for it in ANY way. And no, I wont be playing it before you start off with the 'don't like it, don't play it' crap. This may have a few Tribes related elements, but they're advertising it as being like T1, T2, and T:V - but it's not. Changing core elements such as loadouts and weapons, and adding credits and a grinding system, completely changes it into something else, and is not what Tribes is or ever was.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Grinding + micro-transactions = BAD. Grinding doesn't fly well with a fast-paced tactical game like Tribes, and micro-transactions in a FPS is just stupid. This game will FAIL. Just like Hi-Rez's previous releases.

EDIT: Also, see Dond's post above for my view on modding and how essential it is to Tribes.

1. I actually liked DOW2 because it took out most of the base building which gave more time to focus on your stratergy, the stratergy might invove no base building but instead had to choose when to retreat cause troops were expensive, when to nade and how to counter the enemies build.

2. I agree that the grinding and mircro transaction is bad and means that you start of weak unless you bought the game but if they know anything they will DO what Black ops did and for private matchs and have a setting to unlock everything immediantly for the more compentative players.

3. the classes might suck yes but you have to remember that a bunch of new gamers will come into this game and if they could choose their loadout, they would most likly pick crap and burden the team, like a assault rifle and spinfusor, the classes will stop them doing this and make them play a class that works instead of something that dosen't, even if they don't play it well they are still their helping the team.

Disclamer- I do not smoke i'm just really sick. :)
    If this game fails then I rekon their will be no more Tribes games made and the Tribes community will eventually die. Ascend is also the last hope for any DECENT FPS games now so just be gratful.
  • I refute.
  • 3. the classes might suck yes but you have to remember that a bunch of new gamers will come into this game and if they could choose their loadout, they would most likly pick crap and burden the team, like a assault rifle and spinfusor, the classes will stop them doing this and make them play a class that works instead of something that dosen't, even if they don't play it well they are still their helping the team.

Just pointing this out... T2 had default loadouts you could pick. Completely REMOVING the ability to customize them is what kills the game, and limiting you to only two weapons... Which is just unheard of in Tribes.

Once more, I'm not greatful of this game - they ruined what Tribes was, and "modernized" it to make a quick buck. Good FPS games died long ago, and I've accepted that now.
  • Good FPS games died long ago, and I've accepted that now.
    Halo is still great.
  • Halo: CE and Halo 2 were. The newer ones encourage grinding for armors or armor effects, which is lame. Achievement activated armors would have been better, since most achievements don't force mindless grinding, instead some thinking or actual playing.

I find myself more often than not, grinding my rank up on Reach in firefight or something, just to get some shiny shoulder pad - instead of enjoying the game for what it is. Progression is fun, but not when you have to grind for it.

Granted, it may be different for other people - but my point is that all the FPS games now are generally encouraging the same thing, which is boring and unoriginal. I've been finding 3rd person games much more enjoyable recently, as they're usually very different and tend to be more original, whereas all the FPS games are the same shit, but painted in a different color.

Gears, Assassin's Creed, and Mass Effect are such examples. I find progression in those games much more enjoyable, compared to most of the FPS titles out now. Granted, Mass Effect does try too hard sometimes to be like Gears, but that's fine considering there's much more to that game than combat - which is not the case for 90% of the FPS games out today.

I guess, to sum it up... The FPS market is getting stale, and fast. And I don't like it.
  • Halo is still great.

Halo 1 was great, they have never been able to completely recreate that magic imo. Definitely never made a better one than the first :p

As far as T:A is concerned, this is what I think they were thinking. They saw how much money Riot was making with League of Legends. They had some people that liked/worked with Tribes games in the past. They were already making a Tribes-esque game. There were like, maybe we can make a ton of money with Tribes before our paid game comes out.

Micro-transactions are the future of gaming (at least for PC) because they make so much money.

That being said, I think they do actually care and are trying.
  • If you notice, when I made the rank system, (don't even start on poor coding or could have been better, at least it existed, more than I can say for half of my ideas.) that I didn't include any form of game-play restrictions dealing with that system. That is beyond restrictions on the system itself.

I made it so you had to be a sergeant to make squads, (anyone could join a squad) and get more points for more rank. Which the only game-play piece that whole system really added to fighting was Spawn on leader (which wasn't really used because people were usually too busy just trying to understand "wtf is this rank crap I keep seeing? and what the h*ll is going on!?!?") which I blatantly stole the idea from battlefield 2.

So basically, all I'm saying is if your gonna make a grinding system, don't make it dumb. Don't make new comers even worse off because they just got them game. Battlefield 2 kinda did it, but was still fun, but battlefield 3 is really annoying with its grinding bull crap.

Also, on games nowadays, what ever happened to moddable games? They have all but locked themselves in encrypted or retardedly difficult to modify systems. That's why I never bought Vengeance, and that's why I wont buy Ascend.
    Actually a good example of moddable games being better is:
    Homeworld, the original, had a far better story, music, and re-playable... base game, than Homeworld 2, but more people play Homeworld 2, and for longer, and more often than the original because there are so many different ways to play it due to the mods. Its all about re-playability, look at Garry's mod.

Make a game, make it moddable, and watch as that game turns into a community, and in our case, a cult.

That being said, bringing a bunch of outside ideals into a cult setting usually ends up with the perpetrator wrapped up in plastic wrap, tied to some large symbol of importance, with a ball gag, and an Eolk, so save yourself the misery, preach that elsewhere.
  • I know at this point it's starting to sound cliche, especially coming from another Tribes modder, but for if you weren't there in the 90s, it really does need to be repeated:
    Tribes is, and always has been, about freedom. Freedom of movement. Freedom of choice. Freedom to change the game. Freedom to play the game the way you want to play.

Tribes was born out of a line of mech simulators, which gave it a level of modular weapon and item choices that most games even today don't come close to (and those that do tend to force you to invest your time or money). The gameplay, even the "roles" that are so common now that Ascend's class system tries to emulate, were not part of the game design, but evolved over time from the community playing the game. The entire gameplay dynamic has always been determined by the choices a player makes. Skills, routes, weapon choices, and tactics are passed from player to player through combat, allowing the game to have such an enigmatic variability that every match is wildly different from the last. Even skiing, which is now seen as a main "feature" of a Tribes game, was originally a bug discovered and used by the players to get an advantage.

Tribes at one point grew to have one of the largest online followings of any multiplayer game (Halo was originally marketed as a "Tribes killer" PC game) - not because you run around blowing people up the same way over and over - but because Tribes could mean something different to every person, because the game was always changing. The mods didn't divide the community as so many people try to claim mods do, the mods made the community. Every server running a different mod (a whole new game within a game) added that much more value to the game experience, which is something very few companies these days understand. Valve, Bethesda, and the like are a few exceptions.
    Allowing people to change the game was the best decision Dynamix ever made in regards to a community, gave the game infinite replayability, and is the reason you can still fill a server long after the 10 year mark, and long after every aspect of the original master servers and account systems has been eradicated.

You have to remember though that the people making Ascend only bought Tribes because Activision-Blizzard was selling off their old Vivendi assets for cheap and the franchise (with existing following) happened to be in line with their in-development jetpack fighter game. The only discernible connection they have to Tribes is that someone realized that it was a similar game to what they were making.

Don't even get me started on loadouts, hitscan, matchmaking, poor map design, coniferous trees in the wilderzone, their deviation from Tribes lore with all those ~2000 year old weapons, etc.
  • Krash summed it up pretty nicely. Calling this game Tribes is an insult to the series, the lack of freedom goes against what Tribes is - it's more than just jet packs, skiing, and spinfusors.

They can call it Tribes, but it's not really Tribes.
  • The only solution to our problems is to start playing on BC again so I can stop building by myself :(
  • The only solution to our problems is to start playing on BC again so I can stop building by myself :(

Untitled-1.jpg?1288903617
  • Tribes at one point grew to have one of the largest online followings of any multiplayer game (Halo was originally marketed as a "Tribes killer" PC game) - not because you run around blowing people up the same way over and over - but because Tribes could mean something different to every person, because the game was always changing. The mods didn't divide the community as so many people try to claim mods do, the mods made the community. Every server running a different mod (a whole new game within a game) added that much more value to the game experience, which is something very few companies these days understand.

Excellently worded!

Edit: or make a decent successor with my purchased copy of torque 3d professional...
  • ...or make a decent successor with my purchased copy of torque 3d professional...

Just sayin'...
    HD+Trollface+5000x4068_70db4f_1159810.jpg

Just make a CCM game. :P
  • Just make a CCM game. :P
    Didn't alviss try to do that once?

Also, on a side note, Tribes lore was.. kind of sloppy, it was pretty fun seeing how they tried to explain and rationalize the fact the universe was divided by warmongering factions with access to incredibly advanced technology and a fetish for tribal armor paint jobs ,vehicles with no interiors and the inexplicable but tactically crucial task of taking the other teams flag, that they couldn't defend so well anyway, oh and bioderms, bioderms were nasty alien-like experiments gone wrong that then.. almost whiped out all those warmongering factions with advanced technology.
  • Blnukem: wouldn't it be more fun to make a tribes like game and then mod it though?

Deflun: screw lore! Who needs an explanation for epic?
  • Deflun: screw lore! Who needs an explanation for epic?

This. Epic simply IS, and cannot be explained.
  • So i received my beta key a few days ago, and is it to late to jump on the bandwagon?

That game made me mad. I joined a server a few moments before the time ran out, i fired a gun, realized it was hitscan, went to ragequit, but the match ended. I was greeted by a wonderful micro-transaction offer.

RAAAGGGEEE

Uninstalled it immediately. So, yeah, little late, but im with you oldboys.

About creed, its still in development, i just couldn't work with T3D properly with how shitty my computer was. Since now i've moved to Alberta, and have no computer, it's on-hold. But since i make 200$ a day, and work 24 or so days a month, i'll be able to buy a beaster in no-time.
  • ?!?! I want your job!
  • I doubt you'd land it, Alviss aint just regular meat, after all he was banned for being too sexy.

Plus, I have suspicions his job involves the sex industry somehow.
  • Alviss is a pimp irl.

Ninja Edit: Doofy beat me to it. :p
  • i fired a gun, realized it was hitscan, went to ragequit, but the match ended.
    Not all the guns are hitscan and the ones that are, aren't easy to aim
  • Actually I was implying he HAS a pimp.