Tribes ascend.

124»

Comments

• why is everyone ignoring the fact one of the fathers of construction just spoke on behalf of tribes ascend.. and said "any" twice!
  • why is everyone ignoring the fact one of the fathers of construction just spoke on behalf of tribes ascend.. and said "any" twice!

Because of Dooflun.

[fixed]
    Thanks for spotting that one.. I suck at rereading my own posts.
  • RAAAAGGGEEEE!!!1! D:
    :nag:
  • :nag:

...BECAUSE OF THY DOOFY-LUN. :mad:
  • it was eolk wearing my face over his.
  • While I can understand where you tribes vets are coming from.. I'm still enjoying this game a whole lot. Probably even enough to buy it (vip) in the upcoming weeks.

All in all.. I don't have any other futuristic (skill based) shooters to satisfy my need quite like this one.

Very much this. It's not Tribes 2 and it's not trying to be Tribes 2. What they have made is a very fun objective based z-fps with a high skill cap. I bought VIP and am probably going to put more money into it as well.

They are really listening to the community which is nice and all the original worries about the inclusion of hit-scan weapons doesn't seem to realised as the few hit-scan weapons aren't really that great. The Soldier has a hit-scan pistol but it doesn't do a huge amount of damage and the AR is better for chasing anyway.

My only gripe at the moment is the Jackal (which is currently massively OP) and the Falcon SMG for the Sentinel (which I feel is too rapid firing and does too much damage for a sniper's side arm. This weapon really does feel pay-to-win as the bouncy laser pistol blaster knock-off just can't match it in any way other than bounciness so to be able to defend yourself as a sniper you need to pay.)

All in all I love this game and think I will be playing it for a long time. Because it's free-to-play that means that Hi-Rez are encouraged to keep adding content to increase revenue as well so I can't see it getting stale any time soon.

Also, Raindance soon!!!!!

PS. Hai :3
  • Very much this. It's not Tribes 2 and it's not trying to be Tribes 2. What they have made is a very fun objective based z-fps with a high skill cap. I bought VIP and am probably going to put more money into it as well.

They are really listening to the community which is nice and all the original worries about the inclusion of hit-scan weapons doesn't seem to realised as the few hit-scan weapons aren't really that great. The Soldier has a hit-scan pistol but it doesn't do a huge amount of damage and the AR is better for chasing anyway.

My only gripe at the moment is the Jackal (which is currently massively OP) and the Falcon SMG for the Sentinel (which I feel is too rapid firing and does too much damage for a sniper's side arm. This weapon really does feel pay-to-win as the bouncy laser pistol blaster knock-off just can't match it in any way other than bounciness so to be able to defend yourself as a sniper you need to pay.)

All in all I love this game and think I will be playing it for a long time. Because it's free-to-play that means that Hi-Rez are encouraged to keep adding content to increase revenue as well so I can't see it getting stale any time soon.

Also, Raindance soon!!!!!

PS. Hai :3

Hewwwo thar Pscythe... muhahahaha
  • I'm installing TA right now! will play some soon!!!
  • I've been playing Ascend since it's recent release and while I've been having quite a bit of fun, I do miss a lot of the Tribes and Tribes 2 elements... maps(with all the sensor ranges), way points, custom load outs, inventory packs, more weapons on person, easy to purchase vehicles, multitude of vehicles, more reason to defend bases, etc, etc.

I think I will install Tribes 2 again and see what transpires.

I hope Planetside 2 doesn't stray too far from what made the original special.
  • Yeah I played T:A a bit in the beta and didn't really like it. Re-installed it again today and played a few matches, I think they have improved a lot and I actually like it now.

Still not like the glory days of T2, but fun nonetheless.

I still have a couple projects I want to finish up in Con mod but I think I will be playing some T:A every once and a while. Name is MrHumans in game.
  • I hope Planetside 2 doesn't stray too far from what made the original special.

Amen to that.
    Planetside was a blast even with just a few of us from the old community playing together with a larger Tribes-player based clan back in the day, and we on more than one occasion unexpectedly ran into other construction players we didn't realize were playing and messed around with them for a while.
    We've been talking about maybe getting a group together to play with once it comes out... Would be nice to get some of the old band back together if any are interested.
  • By the way, my Tribes A name is "Solacious". I tried Construct but it was already taken.
  • I just remembered, I recall another Tribes game being developed as well. Is this an error in my memory?
  • I'm pretty sure when Hi-Rez announced T:A they also announced a pipe-dream Tribes MMO called Tribes:Universe but I could be mistaken. I Doubt anything will come of that.

EDIT: My ingame name is Pscythe. Feel free to add me.
  • They initially bought the Tribes property on the cheap to get a title and pre-existing following for a "jetpack shooter" MMO they had been working on that happened to use some Tribes elements.
    After they announced "Tribes: Universe" in October 2010 and said alpha testing would start in about 3 months, the response was a bit lukewarm (or downright ice cold - depending on who you ask), and a quite a few people were telling them they should just make a "Tribes HD" type game... fast forward about 5 months, and they announce "Tribes: Ascend".
  • Well, Spin and I were rippin and tearin earlier. We need to get a bunch of the old T2 guys in some games sometime soon. Out of the 5 full games we had Spin and I were top two every game if I remember right :3 (TDM)
  • I like the game but it feels nothing like Tribes. Tribes 2 for me still.
  • It feels like Tribes but dosen't play like Tribes. I can understand this because they want to pull the people over form CoD and Halo into their game and for them to be familier but it takes alot away from what made Tribes good.
  • The problem with every "I'd rather play T1 or T2" argument is that T1 and T2 are dead. Sure, this isn't a direct clone of either of those games but it is still damn fun and you probably shouldn't look at it like a direct clone. They are actually listening to the community (to a decent extent) and updating the game with new content and balance patches.

I play T:A not as a direct replacement but as a fun Tribes style game in itself. A lot of what made Tribes 1 and 2 so much fun and different has been put into T:A. There is also that feeling that you need to actually be a skilled player rather than only having the best connection and trigger finger (unlike in the CoD series where connection is at least 75% of the battle). Competitive play and paid tournaments are starting up as well as streaming and the devs have been watching these things closely as well.

P.S. I too was one of the T:A haters in the beginning, but I am seeing no real reason to hate on this game anymore :p
  • I would rather play T2 or T1 but the problem is people would rather play their shiney new games like CoD or Halo, so though Ascend isn't as good it plays like Ascend, not Tribes 2.
  • Some days ago I purchased the 30$ package. I am really enjoying this game!
  • thinking about going VIP when i get my tax return :p maybe i should wait for my finals to be over. meh
  • Anyone thinking about purchasing any boosters should note that they take effect immediately ingame.

To be honest the old way they had boosters working was better, I hope they add an "inventory" for items like boosters soon, it could serve as a way of also putting all the promotions in one easy to access place, should they go down that route.

Also, try to purchase as close to the next early day (like 00:01am) server time if possible, or it takes 1 day off pretty quickly, as it does not count down from time activated... This can be a pain to remember, but it makes sure the money you spend goes a slight bit further.
  • This is a bad necro-post, and for which i apologize.

But T3D 1.2 is only 175$(AM) for full source and (I believe) multi-seat studio licenses.
    So... if someone has a mind to create a Construction Game, or a CCM game. Yeah.

If those people set up an SVN i'll offer my services as a scripter and/or 3D artist, although i'm horribad at setting up those material datablocks Torque uses for Collada these days.

EDIT:

I just remembered i have my Creed project on this very computer. So, perhaps i'll put my little X3/Mount&Blade/Online Game on hold fer a bit, and see if i can get some neat stuff rolling again.