Construction Mod for Unreal?

Hi guys, it's great to see there's still a community surrounding the Construction Mod for Tribes 2. As we all know Construction was (and still is) a fantastic modification that allowed us to whittle away many hours creating crazy structures.

It is these memories that have inspired me to start making a construction mod for Unreal Tournament 3. Now it's still in its infancy but would love to hear your comments. The building process is VERY similar to Tribes Construction Mod in that it uses beams/pads. Take a look at the screenshots and tell me what you think! Many thanks.

CoolMaze1.jpg

CoolMaze3.jpg

House1.jpg

House2.jpg

House3.jpg

House4.jpg

BeamInterface.jpg

Comments

• Freaking Legit man...I almost don't believe it's at it's "infancy"!
  • Sick! Links!
  • Really, really nice!
  • Sick! Links!

I'm afraid I haven't released the mod just yet as I am in the process of ironing out bugs, testing and such. It still feels like I could add a lots of new features but it's having the time and patience (something I lack =p).

I don't have any official site but I do have a facebook fanpage where I post updates on progress. There's more screenshots available but I don't want to bore you all by clogging up the thread! If you are interested however you can check it out here.

Thanks for your interest.
  • That looks promising... Have you considered moving to UDK? I imagine it would be somewhat more flexible, and players wouldn't have to own UT3.

That said, if you need hosting, we're here for you.
  • Simply amazing
  • Freaking awesome but think about moving to Udk I don't want to buy UT only to play that.
  • If that shit's on diapers I can't wait till it's grown up.

I just hope we don't turn out to be the abused little brother :(
  • If that shit's on diapers I can't wait till it's grown up.

I just hope we don't turn out to be the abused little brother :(
    Naw, we're just the crazy grandpa. We'll be watching the youngling grow up in all it's glory and feel a little sad that our engine can't do the great things of Unreal...but we'll still be proud of it.

That being said, the other screens are sick.
  • Holy hell! That's Amazing!
  • I'm extremely glad that con mod's unique concept of ingame construction not ever seen in games not only survived the dead of it's father game, but now has grandchildren :D
  • Join the facebook group and watch the video!
  • Fucking awesome.
  • I guess Ill ask the burning question on everyones mind

What does this offer us that T2 Construction Doesnt?
    So Far I recognise
    -Better Graphics
    -New Shapes

But it lacks
    -Merging
    -Jetpacks

Still its in its infancy I understand, and still looking good.
  • It also offers a new player-base, and possibly an extended overall lifetime for the mod :D
  • I have considered moving over to the UDK. I started work on the mod before I even knew about it which is frustrating. Fortunately the framework is near enough identical so perhaps it is feasible. This is something I'll be looking into soon.

The YouTube video you saw is a little outdated now. The paint and texture gun has been merged into one and has a little gui for changing settings. Also there's a trigger rifle allowing you to create triggerable actions such as an object moving, dissappearing or making the player teleport.
    What does this offer us that T2 Construction Doesnt?
    Yeah you have a point there. When I started creating this mod I didn't in anyway intend to compete with Tribes, it was just a personal project of mine. As is stands it's more of the same but I'm hoping that as it grows it'll open up new possibilities. We shall see.
  • Definitely new possibilities will open up with UE3.

1. Dynamic structures. I can imagine you can toggle physics on most of those pieces for realistic basewars.
    2. Bots anyone? Perhaps the AI is dynamic enough to navigate these structures.
    3. Insane zombie action! Zombies will be so much more awesome on UE3 than TGE.
  • I think that Unreal Construction may have less restricitons. Merging may not be needed for piece conservation, but rather an aesthetic effect? I can also see physics taking a part in some constructions, although to be honest I'm not quite sure what Unreal can do besides look awesome.
  • Holy .....
  • Thanks for the link, but that doesn't go here.
  • Thanks for the link, but that doesn't go here.
    ???
  • ???

Some clan advertisement doesn't go in a thread about a Construction mod for Unreal Tournament 3?
  • Some clan advertisement doesn't go in a thread about a Construction mod for Unreal Tournament 3?
    lol, that's in his signature
  • lol, that's in his signature

Perhaps we should stop derailing this fine thread, shall we?

Seriously though, those screen shots (and videos) are simply amazing.
  • Perhaps we should stop derailing this fine thread, shall we?

Good luck preventing that with this community >_>

It looks good, I agree, should be done with UDK so people don't need to buy UT3.
  • If the Borg saw this they'd say: "We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.”

:tinfoil:
  • If the Borg saw this they'd say: "We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.”

:tinfoil:

Agreed

"We like what you did but..." is how projects get destroyed.
    (not 100% sure that's what you were saying)

I say go ahead and complete this awesome mod as you envisioned. Then, afterwards we'll see about porting it to a new game engine (etc.). :)
  • I would love to know what plans do you (or your development team) have in store for this prodigy baby.

Have you gotten to use UE3's physiscs for the good of manking yet?

Will you be able to?
  • Have you gotten to use UE3's physiscs for the good of manking yet?

I've only briefly touched on the physics system. From what I've seen it doesn't like rescaled objects too much. There's probably a fix for this, I just haven't really looked into it yet.

I liked the idea someone mentioned earlier about base wars. I was thinking about allowing beams/pads to take damage until they reach X amount, once this happens the physics system engages for that object so it appears as though it collapses.

That is just an idea however. My main goal for this mod is construction, not so much about the combat side of things. This is something that can be bought in at a later stage if desired by the community.

My next goal for now is to work on adding deployable lights and (possibly) working on a merge tool. I should have some free time next week to start working on the mod again.

Anyway thanks for your comments everybody, it's appreciated. =D