Tribes Omega

Comments

• /me opens popcorn stall
    GET YOUR POPCORN HERE!
    NICE POPCORN.. SALTY OR SWEET
  • Its okkk DefLun!! I'll get you some from Sig..
    Can I get... Ehm two XL buckets of.. sweet popcorn??
    .... I too see potential growth!
  • Ahahahaha! This thread is soooo fuckin hilarious! It's like omg!! Ahahahahaha!!!
    I wanna see where this goes... *grabs popcorn* Anyone wanna join??

Finally! Someone who shares my enthusiasm.
  • None of you conglomerate bastards seem to understand my taste for buttery popcorn :(, this is bullshit.
  • I hate popcorn.
    See the fullstop?
  • OK, we have finally got a decent sized update. Health bar now works and the jet pack consumes energy, and just to keep you interested, we have taken some screenshots:

scrnshot.png
    This one was the first ever screenshot, it shows no hud, TGEA default model with Spinfusor

raintest.png
    This one shows foliage and rain, a crappy hud and the TGEA's default rocket launcher

Now lastly just as a request would one of you mind making us a health bar, which will be used for both the health and energy. Default file below:
    healthbar.png
  • bed261.png
    Didnt change much, put some different colouring in, shaded from light at top to dark at bottom. Arrows Highlight halfway level.
    Also that screen looks like a Doom 2 version of z0r revisited
  • Thanks thats great
  • Thanks thats great

I guess I could try to do some scripting sometime.
  • Made a mechanical theme :
    idvxgi.png
  • Made a mechanical theme :
    idvxgi.png

that looks interesting...
  • In a good way or...?
  • it looks pretty good, although i prefer the first one, ill see if i could incorporate boith
  • i thought you liked my popcorn???
  • it looks pretty good, although i prefer the first one, ill see if i could incorporate boith

Or make a GUI theme customization system.
  • good idea

More suggestions.
    1. Custom Weapon/Vehicle Skins (Without overriding the defaults)
    2. Images (as in character customization. Put a helmet on, Derm!)
    3. Content downloading system (like G-Mod)
  • Heres a Prototype of the health bar HUD i added some sexy boarders
    • healthbar.png
  • More suggestions.
    Could you please do this for Tribes 2 too?

The big wigs over in GH said something about it being too hard...I remember their replies being really vague.
  • Heres a Prototype of the health bar HUD i added some sexy boarders

Eww
  • More suggestions.
    2. Images (as in character customization. Put a helmet on, Derm!)
    3. Content downloading system (like G-Mod)

OK, I like the idea of custom weapons and vehicle skins although im not sure about this. For example, its fine if you wanna have the skin, but if you want your friends to see it, they will need the skin, although I thinking of a solution for this, maybe a global updating system... but that wouldn't work (stares at all the hackers out there)

Character Customization? sure, if you provide the models

And the content downloading system is a great idea, would be an ok solution to custom skins, what do you mean though? Maps, Models, Sounds, Textures, Scripts and new objects all together? Its possible but if you don't have the required files your going to get kicked. Scripts would be done how they work in T2 and for skins and maps, thats pretty basic, but if you want a different object altogether I think it would be possible. Basically lets say you want to join a server, with lets say... a custom skateboard object, you would either get a load of UEs or get kicked, the objects would have to be exactly the same and even then there could be a huge array of problems, also Phantom, the skin is pretty cool :p
  • Skins technically don't have to be updated for every player; if they don't have it, he/she sees the default.

But allowing people to use custom shapes is suicide. I meant the game would have [unlockable] objects such as helmets.

Autodownload is for everything.
  • Not trying to get you to use UE3, but others may be intrested:
    http://www.moddb.com/engines/unreal-engine-3/news/unreal-engine-3-free-to-indies

I do not believe it's possible to have custom weapon/vehicle skins without overriding the default. But, it can be done with players so... it must be the way the models are set up.
  • Well, I mean that if custom models eg. helmets will be in the game, then we need models for them xD. We will see about the vehicles because we need to make them first, also who is good with GUI?? We need login for the beta die for release next month, we are also trying to make a Dev Pack to help you make your own shapes, interiors and stuff, so it will be highly customizable

Also wow, so trying UDK for some future projects

EDIT:

Also check here for some features of TGEA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfJkcK8SQQk&feature=related
  • "400 - Bad Request"
    Link is bad.
  • Yep :p just there because some people doubt the graphical capabilities of TGEA
  • Yep :p just there because some people doubt the graphical capabilities of TGEA

TGEA has nice graphics, but according to Thyth, has messy source code.
    Also, TGEA doesn't support advanced physics (no ragdolls).
    And doesn't TGEA have a low DB limit?
  • I've so far resisted making any comments about this... project, but whoever made that YouTube video needs better taste in music, and a video card that can render the Torque demo at more than 10 FPS.

Torque is pretty useless if you actually want to make a game. The core of the engine might have been semi-decent back when it was V12 and used to make Tribes 2 (it still has atrocious bugs, and serious design flaws). After a few years of 14 year old game-designer-wannabes hitting at the source code with the subtlety of an explosive warhead, the quality of code has made any serious modification to the engine more involved than writing one's own engine.

Of course, if you haven't figured the above out already from working on the source code to get those screen-shots, you've either not done anything of consequence, or you're so out of your depth you don't have a clue how hard it is to do what you want to accomplish.